Things that don't seem gay, but are

Thanks. Good point.
<insert sheepish grin>

Exactly. And I think we find it a hard question to even conceive of, let alone answer, unless we actually get caught in the contradiction (as I was with my musical interests).

**Things that don’t seem gay, but are **

The Mazda Miata. No explaination needed.

http://www.google.com/search?q=mazda+miata+gay+car&hl=en&prmd=imvnsfd&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=zYNOULefNojhrAHzw4HgAg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1536&bih=695

I was somewhat surprised to hear that a majority of GQ readers are gay men and the magazine actually gears itself towards this demographic.

Me with my theories again…If a 2-seater car doesn’t pack enough power to be a real hazard to an unskilled driver, it’s gay. Those itty bitty 50s and 60s Triumphs and MGs would be fagmobiles if brought out new.

Well, Jeeps are popular with women, so it gets that transferred to gay men. The Miata is gay. Subaru Forester/Outback is a lesbian car. The VW Bug, Cabrio, and indeed most VWs are chick cars.

Here’s Car Talk’s take.

Seemed fairly obvious to me that was what he was asking…

As I said, there’s probably a mental block in place around this whole topic.

You’re seeing this through the lens of 1) your own insecurity and 2) the perception that most gay men live in densely populated cities and are flamboyant/neurotic.

There are plenty of gay men who (obviously) have sex with other men but otherwise are indistinguishable in their lifestyle: they are researchers or engineers or masons, they have long term monogamous partners and worry about health insurance, their mortgage and the health of their aging parents. “The gays, they’re just like us!” :smack:

:smiley:

No, he’s asking for ways the gays AREN’T “just like us”, but also aren’t stereotypically gay. I.e., what hobbies or tastes are predominantly gay without being stereotypically gay? It’s an interesting question; as with any subculture, there are things that are more popular among gay men (who participate in gay culture; obviously not all do) than among straight men. It’s nothing to do with homosexuality per se, but with the subculture.

Nor sure if this counts, but the Castro in San Francisco has a ton of amazing sushi places; way better than Japantown (IMHO).

I don’t know why people keep saying ‘Sound of Music’ is a gay fantasy. Being one who likes watching it repeatedly, I get pissed.

What kind of tea?

Back in the late-1970’s, when Mae West was in her 80’s, she came out of retirement to make one last movie called Sextette.

I would not have known it at the time, but it was brought to my attention that as Miss West got older, she developed a cult following in the gay male community. Her brief live appearance at the San Francisco premiere (mentioned in the Wiki article) drew a heavily gay audience.

I think it was this board that I found out diet soda was gay.:confused:

If I recall correctly from grade school, every even-numbered urinal was for “girls,” and if you urinated in a “girl” urinal it meant you were gay. No one ever thought to question this airtight logic.

Is being English no longer “gay”?:confused:

We just had big ol’ troughs to piss in. If you looked at Johnny’s thingy, you were gay.

When I branched out into interior design for a couple of contractors, a good number of elderly rich women we worked for were uncomfortable with me for not acting swishy. One guy would ham it up for the little old rich ladies and he would tell me what they said. Sure, I guess it is a stereotypical job, but it was only one small part of the complete service we offered for remodeling those “old money” homes.

Wait till you find out about Playgirl!

(Seriously, I thought everybody knew that.)

Crocs are gay, IMHO.

On a side note:
We have a vendor here in the building that is Peruvian. He said in his culture a man could recieve oral sex from a man and not be labeled as Gay but the man GIVING the oral sex, now he would be labeled as gay!