Trolls R Us redux [Now the argument clinic]

For some odd reason, I don’t think he is nearly as friendly as advertised.

Funny how many trolls will try to sell just how “polite” they think they are by decorating their posts/handles with innocuous descriptors…

He doubled or tripled down in the ATMB thread, as if he really believes that Biden did that. If he really does, he’s amazingly stupid. If he doesn’t, he’s a troll and should just be banned – trolling in the Pit is bannable.

Does he add anything useful in other sub-forums?

Obvious trolling. No one believes that shit.

I never really thought about it before, but are there rules on SDMB explicitly about deliberately lying - assuming the “deliberate” part can be established beyond a resonable doubt? Deliberate lying in many instances (including this one) would fall under trolling, but not always - could be clickbait, could be propaganda designed to misinform. In general, I think we’d take the approach of responding to false statements by disputing them and correcting them, and not worry about intent. But what if it’s clear the false statements are deliberate?

I think making deliberate false statements (outside of some situations – for example, let’s say the sky is green…) should be treated as trolling. It gets tricky – you need exceptions for parody, sarcasm, hyperbole, off the top of my head.

Exactly, how does that even work anyway? It would make no grammatical sense.

The part you are searching for in your definition is that the comment is inflammatory.

If a statement is deliberately false, is intended to mislead (i.e. not parody, etc.) and is inflammatory, then it by definition is trolling.

Trolling is just saying disingenuous things with the purpose of pissing people off. And there’s no other reason to post an obviously inflammatory intentional lie.

I’m sure he just accepted whatever shitty “news” sources told him this happened at face value. If my “news” or media sources were constantly lying to me and making me look foolish, I’d try and find new ones.

Either he didn’t actually watch the video or he was desperate to “hear” what Biden said.

I’m pretty sure that’s covered by this rule:

We have one guiding principle: Don’t be a jerk.

I think it’s hard to argue that deliberately lying is not a violation of Rule #1 of the SDMB.

I looked but didn’t find any “news” sources alleging that Biden used the n-word in that speech. However, the top comment under the video he linked to makes the claim. But about an hour ago a youtube video appeared making that claim, 2 hours after the OP.

In fact, from further down the Registration Agreement:

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use the SDMB to post any material that you know or should know is false and/or defamatory, inaccurate…

[my bold]

So deliberately or negligently posting things that are false is explicitly against the Registration Agreement, separately from whether it also constitutes trolling or being a jerk. Good to know.

Nice catch @Riemann. :+1:

But then you’re not trying to have your news sources merely confirm what your personal reality is.

Oh, good, I’m relieved that the mods have this cudgel in their toolbelt to use against liars like this.

(I gave him the benefit of the doubt until he made it clear he wasn’t at all interested in what really happened)

:slight_smile: Yeah, that is a problem. I may have my beliefs challenged…

Well, in the thread on national drinks, he did correctly remind me that the Caesar is a distinctly Canadian drink.

But then he went on to say that he prefers Caesars without alcohol. As all Canadians know, clamato juice is basically an alcohol delivery mechanism employed by the Caesar recipe with vodka as its active ingredient. A Caesar without vodka is beneath contempt. It’s like a hammer with the hammer head missing. The only thing you can really do with it is look at it, or stick it up your ass.

Clamato stuck up my ass sounds unpleasant.

Clamenema.

The idea of Clamato existing sounds unpleasant. When I hear the word, all I can think of is George St. Gieglund shouting, “YOU GOT CLAM JUICE, YOU WHITE TRASH IDIOT!”