Turn me on to some good, hard-core techno/industrial music

Assume I’ve been living in a cave the last few years. The internet is information overload. I get intimidated with the vast amount of information about music on the internet these days.

I like stuff like Front 242, Ministry, Laibach, KMFDM, Lords of Acid, Revolting Cocks, Yello, Gary Numan, ect.

I don’t like the pop dance “techno” you hear in dance clubs, and am frankly sick of hearing about 50 different remixes of some diva soul woman telling me to “get in the pool, with me, tonight.”

www.di.fm may be to your tastes.

Though I’ve never heard of any of the artists you mention, try stuff from the UK’s Nu Energy label, or DJs Hixxy, Sharkey and Scott Brown.

The Bonkers album are also worth a look.

There are a couple of samples on the www.pamshouse.com frontpage, is that the kind of stuff you’re after?

You are familiar with Front Line Assembly, Cabaret Voltaire, Einstürzende Neubauten and Nine Inch Nails, right? I’d assume so, given the rest of your list, but I figured I’d just check.

You might also like Aphex Twin, Fear Factory, Rammstein, Strapping Young Lad, …And Oceans (particularly Cypher) and Godflesh.

Let’s see …

Here are some of my favorites:

Assemblage 23
Numb
VNV Nation
Wumpscut
Covenant
Dismantled
Imperative Reaction
Cut.Rate.Box

The hardcoreness of the above bands varies from heavily influenced by synthpop/new wave and more toward the harsh, noisy sound. Really, though, what you should do is take a look around the official site for Metropolis Records and their accompanying web-store at [http://www.industrial-music.com]Industrial-Music.com. Metropolis the largest (and seemingly only at some times) Industrial/Goth label in the US, so they tend to have all the big name acts.

Wire, Frank Tovey/Fad Gadget (80s Mute Records Stuff)
Early Swans - None more hardcore!
Young Gods - esp. the Kurt Weill album, but also L’eau Rouge
and, of course,
Skinny Puppy

No mention of Kraftwerk? Fun, fun, fun on the Autobahn :smiley:

Try out King Crimson’s The Power To Believe, which is not even remotely religious in spite of its name. The guys in Tool have been pretty up-front about having “ripped off” King Crimson for years.

Thanks for trying, but no. :slight_smile:

That pamshouse.com site was like someone chewed a mouthful of pink bubblegum and spewed it all over the screen. When I was finally able to find a link somewhere on that page to actual music, it was “PHuk” this and “PHunk” that. Yuck.

di.fm wasn’t much better. I listened to their hardcore stuff and it’s your typical huge gay dance party rave DJ-whatever re-mix crap. Blech.

Here are a few I like (some of which have already been suggested):

Cruciform Injection
Assemblage 23
Funker Vogt
Icon of Coil
Imperative Reaction
Informatik (they’re probably a little too “dancy” for what you said you want)
VNV Nation
Filament 38
Covenant
Sisters of Mercy

I own lots of Einstürzende Neubauten. Definitely like them. I’m somewhat familiar with Front Line Assembly, Cabaret Voltaire, and Nine Inch Nails. FLA & Cabaret Voltaire did some good stuff. I always thought 9"Nails was a bit grunge for my taste.

Not too familiar with Aphex Twin, Fear Factory, Rammstein, Strapping Young Lad, and Oceans. Have to check them out. I am familiar with the Rammstein name, but I’ve mostly seen it in the context of a Rammstein remix of someone else’s work. Didn’t know they were an actual band.

Have you heard of SecondShifters?

Its an online radio station. I only discovered it a couple of days ago, so I can’t inform on the overall quality of its selection, but it lists “gothic, electronic, ebm, industrial, metal, or anywhere in between” as its format.

And it definitely doesn’t have a froo-froo bubblegum atmosphere to it.

Based on what else you’ve listed, you would probably appreciate their first album, Pretty Hate Machine.

<shameless promotion>
You might like the tracks The Tic Tok Men - Decomputerization. They are the ones at the top of the page with the fist logo
</shameless promotion>

In that case you might also enjoy Abwärts. If you like Kraftwerk, you might get a kick out of Tangerine Dream also.

I suprised no one has mentioned Prodigy yet.
‘Fat of the Land’ is considered a classic and the new one ‘Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned’ is very good.
Rammstein is good in a german/rob zombie kind of way.

Also try Juno Reactor . They did some of the heavier stuff for the Matrix movies. No lyrics, just music.

And if you want to go into some old classic headpounding industrial you can’t go wrong with classic Ministry .

I’ll recommend Miss Kittin: “Professional Distortion”. It’s quite subtle, just bear with it and listen, it’s a sly dig at the “showbiz” lifestyle. Here is a link to a page on Shockwave that has the video.

You might also wish to try:

Electric Hellfire Club
Razed in Black
Apoptygma Berzerk
Christian Death
Cruxshadows
DeVision
Pop Will Eat Itself
Dead Can Dance
Fischer Spooner
Funker Vogt
Icon of Coil
Kidney Thieves
London after Midnight
New Model Army

and maybe

Tones on Tail
Suspiria
Corpus Deliciti
Rosetta Stone
Red Lorry Yellow Lorry

along with everything already mentioned :slight_smile:

Some more that I like:

Underworld “Pearls Girl”, “Cowgirl”, “Everything Everything”, and “Born Slippy”. (The link is to their Yahoo Launch page.)

Banco de Gaia (See here for the official site)

**Orbital ** (Here is his official site, you can watch the video “The Box” there, which I love.)

Goldfrapp: “Twist” “Strict Machine” and “Train” (in that order) Warning, they are rather strange and push the envelope with their videos. Here is a link to their Yahoo Launchpage, and also a link to their official website with is NSFW at all. Benny Benassi did a couple of remixes of their song “Strict Machine” which can be found on their site if you click the “Black Cherry” link on their “scene one” page, then mouse over the houses until you find one labled Strict Machine 2004, then click “Audio Streams”.

While I would never not recommend someone listen to DCD, I would point out that they aren’t even remotely “hard-core techno / industrial”. More “ambient / gothic / world music / darkwave” than anything else.

Lots of fantastic suggestions so far.

Away from the techno and deeper into industrial, I would heartily recommend Foetus. If you like a relentless sonic assault of rage, pain, and sarcasm, Foetus just might be for you.