V: 1.04, "It's Only the Beginning", (open spoilers)

Wow, it didn’t take long for them to introduce the idea of an alien-human pregnancy to this series too. Amazon has the orginial series for less than $11 and I’m tempted to buy it just to enjoy the scene with the lizard baby again :slight_smile:

He seemed pretty upset about it. I think it’s going to be the hybrid from the first show. You’d think he would use a condom.

Two possibilities.

First, he’s not actually a V, he’s just a pissed-off security guard who is mad he got played.

Second, he’s a pissed off V security guard that blew his job and doesn’t want to admit responsibility.

But it’s different, because in this they CAN tell. Pretty easily, as a matter of fact. Totally opposite from the Cylons.

Which might be why he’s upset. Either it’s impossible, and he knows it, so she’s cheating on him, or it’s impossible, but it isn’t really, and he thinks she’s cheating on him when she isn’t really.

I’m not sure about the whole hybrid thing, yet. Especially when you consider Tyler and Ana’s daughter. Do they think they’d need some big incentive for him to want to bang her? Will introducing him to the leader of the species that can wipe humanity with no difficulty at all make him more or less likely to want to get in her pants?

If they wanted to produce a hybrid baby, all they had to do is send Hot Blond Daughter to any high school and it could be accomplished in a couple hours.

-Joe

I thought the same thing when I saw it.

So, y’all believe them to be against the Vs rather than reinforcements for the bad guys?

Against the Vs, maybe. But that doesn’t mean they’re necessarily good guys - the Soviet liberation of Eastern Europe was certainly preferable to Nazi rule, but that’s about all that could be said for it. If that fleet is coming for the Vs, then it’s because this culture has some seriously scary internal politics, and human welfare is not gonna be high on their priority list.

I have a different take on the final scene. I thought they were colony ships. I suspect the 29 mother ships are on Earth to wipe out the human race, and the millions or billions of V’s on those ships will take over the planet.

This is why the Vs don’t want to take human out with military force. They don’t want to ruin their new neighborhood.

Or maybe the main V group is actually a bunch of hippie peacenicks and they’re trying to get the 29 ships back…but humanity will be either hostages or expendable cannon fodder.

-Joe

That was my thought as well. The 5th Collumn seems like an underground resistance, and not like something that has a huge number of Vs following it. I think those ships are merely waiting for humanity to be gone before moving in.

I was thinking during that scene “oh great, some retarded anti-vaxers are going to be yelling SEE!!! CONSPIRACY!”. Sure, it’s a piece of fiction and all, but their grasp on reality is tenuous :stuck_out_tongue:

I am not convinced that this will happen but I had the thought when I saw the scene. They set it up to make you think that the ships were part of Anna’s plan. But it would be a good twist to have them be enemies.

Too Harry Turtledove. I hope that isn’t all that is happening.
The one thing that pissed me off about this episode was the preview. The plan was not revealed. I guess they meant that we saw the vaccines being used but we didn’t find out why.

One of the most annoying things to me so far has been how the 5th Column was introduced.

“So you guys are lizards, but oppose the ones in the motherships?”

“Yep. They’re EEEEEVIL!” “Let’s go blow stuff up.”

“Okay.”

The first things I’d ask from the 5th Columnists would be what the Visitors are planning and why the 5th is trying to foil them. We got the answer for neither question, which makes zero sense.

Well if he’s not willing, I’m free this weekend! :slight_smile:

It’s…complicated…

To me, the “engine room” Anna took Tyler to looked far more like a component of a weapons system, sort of a “Death Star Superlaser” collimation chamber, and less like a propulsion system.

still, I suppose it could serve double duty and be both…

“Now the green button will blow up the city below us, the blue button will blow up the ship, and the green button will order breakfast.”

I could see Tyler hitting the wrong button when ordering breakfast.

-Joe

I kinda get the feeling Lisa will develop real feelings for Tyler and join the Fifth Column. Or she’ll eat his liver with some fauva beans and a nice chianti.

Post-coitus, of course.

It’s interesting how the Vs are portrayed as a having at least the veneer of a niceness-state, both internally and externally, rather being the usual fascist invaders. It’s as though Sweden decided to colonize Earth.

Basically all the characters in the show are incredibly incurious. Nobody asks any of the questions a normal person would when confronted with a bunch of aliens showing up. How do the aliens know English (and apparently, all the worlds languages)?, why do they appear to be identical to humans? what specifically do they want (even their “official” cover story isn’t really explained, only a vague reference at the beginning to want to trade for minerals), where are they from? how long are they planning on staying? Why can they build spaceships, but not basic handheld projectile weapons? Basically the only thing the human race seems curious about when the aliens show up is what it means for human theology. I know religion is important to people, but I’d think they’d take an interest in aliens beyond that.

I dunno if I’ll be back when the show returns, it seemed like a cool scenario to make a show around, but the acting is bad, the dialog is worse, no one acts like a real person, and I’m skeptical the plot will end up making sense.

I don’t think the plan is for Tyler to knock up Lisa with a hybrid baby. I think they’re setting him up to be the posterboy for the [del]Hilter Youth[/del] Peace Ambassadors recruiting drive. “Look! He gets to come and see our space ship! Even areas no one else on Earth has ever seen! Why don’t you join and see what you can see? (and we’ll be seeing through your jacket cameras, haha!)”

Make sure the DVD is of the miniserieses*, not the ongoing. I saw a cheap DVD set in Target, and was considering it, but on closer inspection it was the series, not the miniseries. Lizard baby was in the 2nd miniseries, BTW, so if that’s what you’re after, you want V: The Final Battle.
*I supposed the plural of miniseries is also miniseries, but I just wanted to emphasize the “more than one” aspect, so ppppplp.