What song actually makes you shout NO! and change the station?

I never secretly liked the ones I mentioned, though…too sappy. “Afternoon Delight” doesn’t make me want to turn down the volume or turn off the radio—it makes me want to take a gun and shoot the radio. I’d empty the clip till click click click…

I’m fine with ABBA, Gilbert O’Sullivan and Gerry Rafferty.

I would add:
I’ve Never Been To Me-Charlene

I think @chefguy mentions downthread apprecating the guitar parts in “Midnight at the Oasis,” and I concur for a strange reason: I had a book of guitar chords for songs with that in it. I was just learning to play, willing to attempt anything, so I tried it. I appreciated the chord progressions. “Tryin’ to get the feeling again” by Barry Manilow is another instance of that.

One song I used to really dislike was “How Deep is Your Love” by the Bee Gees. I was watching our no-remote-control TV one night and Merv Griffin was on. I was too lazy to walk across the room to change the channel. He sang that song and I really listened to the words. Not that his voice was awesome, but minus the disco hype and screeching Bee Gees it wasn’t a bad song. Hmm.

jazz, any kind.

A picosecond is an international standard unit of time defined as “the period of time elapsed between me hearing any jazz and switching off the source”

I’m wondering if anyone else is like me in turning off songs they LIKE on the radio so as to preserve a song’s ‘freshness’? Remember when the classic rock format was first introduced in the 80’s? They played the hell out of certain songs (e.g. BTO’s Taking Care of Business or AC/DC’s Back in the Black). I remember cheerfully listening to the same beloved tunes several times a day, until after a couple weeks later realizing only too late that they had lost most of their pleasant (or bittersweet) memory associations and became no different than any other overplayed and burned out song on current radio rotation.

How can you tell when an artist has reached complete creative sterility, and is now only in it to pay for the cocaine and alimony? When he/she/they puts out a Christmas album. Especially if it’s holiday standards, like “White Christmas” and “Winter Wonderland”.

Christmas music is its own special category of torture. Doubly so for retail workers, who are subjected to eight hours a day of glurge for a month and a half. I mean, there are some decent Christmas songs - “Christmas Wrapping” by the Waitresses, or Emerson Lake and Palmers’ “I Believe in Father Christmas”, or even John Lennon’s “So This Is Christmas”. And I enjoy actual carols, like “Hark, The Herald Angels Sing” or “What Child Is This”. But because retail stores don’t want to offend anybody, they invariably play the “Holiday Hits of 1953!” channel. Which means in the course of a nine-hour day, I’ll hear three versions of “Walking In A Winter Wonderland”, four of “I’ll Be Home For Christmas”, and approximately thirty of “Marshmallow World”. Y’all want to know why the cashier at WalMart is distracted in December? It’s because she’s fantasizing about setting up a deer stand for Rudolph, and taking a hairdryer to Frosty.

A Christmas song that features Mariah Carey is double-jeopardy. The name of that song I shall not utter here.

Like Jaydubba77, I like most of the songs mentioned (that goddamn hippopotamus song needs to be nuked from space, though).

It occurs to me that I really only listen to the radio when I’m driving and I haven’t done much of that in the past year and a half so I’m not familiar with the current hateworthy tunes, though I’m sure there are plenty.

I Melt with You had me rushing for the tuner even when it was new, 40 years ago.

Pink, who I used to like quite a bit has been putting out crap for years now and at the top of that mountain o’ dreck is What About Us .

I love love UB40 but won’t sit through Red Red Wine. The last time I saw them in concert, they started to play it and the bf and I simultaneously hightailed it to the bar. After that, any time it came on the radio we’d say “time to get a drink” and change the channel.

Way too many to mention for me, so I’ll simplify matters by keeping things recent:

Anything by Justin Bieber, Ed Sheeran, or Ariana Grande. Unfortunately, this accounts for perhaps 60% of what gets played on top 40 radio these days. They all make music designed to appeal to preteen girls, so you’d think their core fanbase would have outgrown them by now, but somehow they endure year after year.

Whatever you do, resist any temptation (however great) to buy Diana Krall’s Christmas album.

Another one of Bob’s that they never seem to play on the radio that I love: Roll Me Away.

OTOH, Old Time Rock 'n Roll has long since gone by its sell-by date. I tend to change it, more out of burn-out than anything else.

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year. This incredibly overplayed piece of schmaltz is the reason there are so many holiday suicides. Really. They’ve done studies at the U of A…

The most wonderful time of the year, for me, is when all the winter holidays are behind me.

Let’s write a song about that.

mmm

Anything country.

I grew up with “old” country such as Patsy Cline, Marty Robbins, Jim Reeves, Johnny Cash and the like. A lot of their songs were crossover hits and genuinely good music. Today’s stuff is mostly just rock music with cowboy hats.

Growing up in West Texas, I had the stuff shoved down my throat. I’ll give you Johnny Cash but can’t stand the others, and there was a lot of low-level trash playing everywhere you turned.

ANY song by The Little River Band

Also Hey Jude and American Pie.

Change the lyrics:

It’s the most wonderful time, to drink beer.
With the ol’ lady gone
And the football game on
And no nagging to hear.
It’s the most wonderful time, to drink beer!

When she sings solo or lead: this.
But she can harmonise. And Christine’s voice is always perfect.

A lot of mine are songs that used to be on my no list. They weren’t actually bad songs it’s just that I got so tired of hearing them on the radio.

“In the Air Tonight” by Phil Collins. From the early 90s through 2017 I would turn the dial as soon as this song popped up. A few years ago I went ahead and allowed it to play and discovered I no longer hated it. It’s not my favorite but I’m not annoyed by it.

“What’s Up” by 4 Non Blondes. I liked this song well enough when it came out in the early 90s But it’s near ubiquity on the radio soured me to it. I was able to enjoy the song again by some point after 2000.

“God Bless the USA” by Lee Greenwood. I can live with the jingoism but this is just a crappy sappy song.

I find there are plenty of songs I enjoy listening to because they take me back to a certain period of my life and not necessarily because they’re good. I was in 4th grade when “We Built this City” was popular and I was hard at work on adding and subtracting fractions. “Ice Ice Baby” was released a few days after I started my freshman year of high school.

Agreed.

Anything by U2. I just hate those pretentious wankers.

More specifically, Jack and Diane by John Couger Mellencamp. Just heard it too much as a teen.