What's For Dinner Tonight: Episode 2021 – A New Hope

I think Slop is the best description for what I threw together today.

Cooked some onions and mushrooms and ground beef and radishes and cherry tomatoes all in one pot. Then spooned that over a naan. Sprinkled in a bunch of red pepper flakes and a little teriyaki sauce.

I have leftovers and I’m happy about that. Dessert is a Hershey bar with almonds. KING SIZE!

I had to be back in the office today for the first time in a year and a half, so I placed an order with a local steakhouse for two burgers, some fries, creamed spinach and a piece of carrot cake, to be picked up when I got off work. They messed up the name on the order so I ended up having to wait 30 minutes for them to figure out what happened and finally give me my stuff. Of course by the time they found the order and I got home all the hot food was cold, but my mitigation efforts were mostly successful and it was still pretty good.

They also gave us 2 pieces of carrot cake instead of one - and this is a place where the desserts are huge - I think they expect people to just order one to split. We’re going to have carrot cake for days.

Grilled chicken last night, tonight its Pizza fron Napolis, a great small pizza/Italian chain in Houston.
Probably a peroni beer when waiting for the pizzas and Malbec when we get them home.

Those Singapore noodles up thread need to be made , looks fantastic.

In-and Out Burgers and Fries today. There goes my diet, but it was the price I had to pay to get help moving some furniture. Those grilled onion burgers are delicious.

Dang it.

Soft tacos with ground beef and taco seasoning, tomato sauce, hot sauce, shredded cheddar cheese, shredded lettuce, and a glass of ice water. Later, some Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies and a glass of milk.

Marie Callender chicken pot pies. But tomorrow I’m making green chili stew with a pork shoulder roast from the freezer.

Following on from my comment that I was going to make this sometime, I made it tonight. I got all the ingredients except pickerel itself, which I couldn’t find locally, but there was fresh haddock that I used instead. Which was fine since I was making it with fries, and haddock is the traditional fish for fish and chips.

It was very good indeed. I loved the way it turned beautifully brown and crispy. The only change I will make for next time (and I’m definitely doing this again) is using less curry powder, or possibly none at all. The only curry powder I had on hand was labeled “hot”, and it was a little bit too dominant, IMHO. Years ago I would have considered this spicy taste ideal, but I’ve come to like milder and more subtle foods. But this is a great recipe. The avocado oil, which I’ve never used before, worked very well. Some types have very low smoke temperatures but this did not noticeably smoke.

I used a mild curry powder as SWMBO is not a chili head like I am and I agree hot might be too much for a delicately flavoured fish. I’m so glad you enjoyed it as well. This one is staying in my goto cookbook for sure. Might have to try making chips next time. Btw, the Avo oil is great for salad dressings and marinades as well.

Went to a huge outdoor family reunion and ate at least a dozen bacon roll-up appetizers (stuffed with pineapple and coated in some kind of glaze). Also some baked beans and pizza.

Hehehe, the first time I had In-and-Out burger, I’m pretty sure they heard the tone of “of course I do, I’m not insane” when they ask if you want a slice of onion on your burger. I’ve come to expect the question now, of course.

Last night, my darling suggested we get muffulettas from Jimmy’s food store. I lost my mind and decided to get a 9 inch one. It was at least 3 meals worth of sandwich, and I polished it off tonight. I have no regrets. That sandwich was awesome fresh, and each return visit to the fridge was just about as nice. I had several beers in the process of its consumption. Lakewood Please and Thank You, Hacker Pschorr, and some OHB AllGood Kolcsh. Will do again, but might overindulge on a different sandwich, if I dare.

https://jimmysfoodstore.com/menu/

Since it’s after midnight here and it’s my sweetie’s birthday, today’s lunch/dinner will be: a brisket I’m currently smoking (and it’s hard in the middle of its stall. I’ll give it a bit longer, then crutch it along till morning), jalapeño sausages, green chile mac 'n cheese, and an excellent cider slaw she’s made. We’ll also have buns and a couple types of BBQ sauce for the folks who want it that way. Seriously looking forward to it. Almost hoping we have enough leftovers for a couple of meals this week, but if the guests consume it all, I’ll consider it an honor.