What's For Dinner Tonight: Episode 2021 – A New Hope

Turkey Balls!

There’s a little dive bar/restaurant in Johnstown PA called The Phoenix Tavern. On Mondays and Saturdays they feature their Chicken Ball, a ball of chicken and stuffing, batter dipped, deep fried, and served in a nest of mashed potatoes with gravy.
I copy this using shredded turkey in place of the chicken…

Served with cranberry walnut relish and a growler of a local IPA.

That sounds great!

Very filling as well!

Ribeye, slathered in butter and smashed roasted garlic cloves.

Oh. My. Gods.

The garlic might be the best part, after the unctuous beef fat, of course.

I’m glad I roasted two whole heads. They may not make it till morning.

(Ain’t no vampires 'round here tonight!)

Steamed shrimp with cocktail sauce, spinach souffle, French rolls and fresh blackberries. My husband said he was disappointed when the food ran out, lol.

Some peanuts and a glass of cranberry juice, then tossed salad with chopped carrots, onion straws, croutons and Caesar dressing. Two slices of garlic toast. A glass of ice water. Later, a chocolate bar and a glass of cold milk.

Unusual (for me) dinner, since I had pretty much sworn off most red meat, especially steak. But back before then, I bought a couple of immensely thick rib eyes from my favourite hoity-toity upscale place. They must have a been nearly a couple of pounds each, I can’t remember. Anyway, one of the huge ones was cut in half and frozen. The halves must have been in the freezer for about 18 months, maybe longer.

I was actually thinking of throwing them out, but WTH, these were expensive premium steaks. So I thawed one out a few days ago and grilled it very late last night, doused with Barberian’s Steak Spice. Meanwhile made rice with concentrated vegetable broth and dried porcini mushrooms. When the steak was almost done, threw some slabs of Provencal garlic butter over the top til it started melting, resulting in marvelous searing flames from the melting butter.

It was quite wonderful, though I am by no means convinced to return to being a carnivore. It was done slightly more than I had intended – more like medium rather than medium rare – because I was trying to make allowances for how incredibly thick it was.

But what to do with the leftover mushroom vegetable rice tomorrow? I’m thinking maybe the chicken and veal sausages I have in the freezer – browned on the grill, then slathered in tomato sauce and baked over chopped onion – a reliable recipe.

I’ll be serving up baked cod with a lemon glaze, and 3 bean soup(vanilla latte with soy milk).

Last night and tonight were home made sub sandwiches. Mine had capocollo ham, ham, provlone, bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, vinegar and oil, parmesan, pepper and a sprinkle of salt. MMMmmm.

Nuthin’ fancy tonight - I had to work late. Frozen chicken pot pie, but at least I’m oven-baking it instead of just nuking it.

Some cheese to nibble while awaiting crusty deliciousness.

Salmon with a mustard/honey/sriracha glaze, french fries and grapes.

I have one (1) tub of homemade chicken broth left. I also had a crappy ending to my workday, and am trying to decompress.

Having found some carrots in reasonable shape in the fridge & half a bag of teensy-weensy tiny alphabet noodles in the pantry, I think a bowlful of chicken noodle soup is just the ticket for a crabby, chilly evening.

(Oooh! CRAB! I have frozen crab cakes, might augment soup with that later.)

Just put a pot of spicy beef rendang (dang did spellcheck fight me on the spelling of that) in the oven. It takes 4 hours to slow-cook but oh man is it worth the wait. It’s a dry curry my wife and I discovered at a local Indonesian restaurant a couple years ago, and I found this recipe which is very close to what we got at the restaurant (I add crushed almonds because the restaurant version had it, and I add soy sauce instead of salt for some added umami):

That recipe looks scrumptious! I haven’t made it in years, but it’s time it went back into rotation.

My long-ago Indonesian roommate used to make it with Kecap Manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce), which I think is more traditional (?), rather than brown sugar and salt. It’s great stuff.

Thanks for that. The recipe you linked to is amazingly well illustrated. Sounds delicious, and I love curry, but by my usual cooking standards it looks like a fair amount of work, plus it calls for many ingredients that I don’t normally have. I’m going to have to postpone making that one until I have one of my sudden urges of culinary adventurousness, but I’m looking forward to doing it sometime reasonably soon. It also looks like the sort of thing that you can make a big batch of and that freezes well.

Hmm, sounds like I’ll be switching out lemongrass chicken for beef rendang this week.
Thanks @solost!

It is a little bit of work, but so totally worth it. And once you do the initial prep, the rest is just checking and stirring it periodically. It’s a great meal for a lazy fall Sunday watching football and checking on it during commercials.

As for the ingredients, you can sub out some. I’ve never used a Kaffir lime leaf in my life, and I don’t tend to keep fresh lemongrass on hand. So at the end I took the rendang out of the oven, skimmed off the excess oil on top and mixed in the juice of a lime for a citrus hit. My rendang tonight was awesome.

You’re welcome!

Thanks for the sweet soy sauce tip! I’ll have to try that.

Beef rendang is just so awesome. We lived in Malaysia twice for a total of 3 years and it was to die for. I haven’t made it successfully myself, I think I always overdo the spices and it gets a bitter flavour. Mollusc needs to learn moderation, but you have inspired me to try again.

Last two weeks I have been chained to my desk dawn to dusk and through the weekends, but I made chicken tortilla soup last night , we had our first taste Autumnal weather , and onight I am cooking fajitas as I type.

Malbec to accompany, maybe in moderation lest I express some forthright opinions later, in the most recent batch of nonsense powerpoint slides I need to fill out.

For recipes calling for lemon grass I have found that the tubes of pureed lemon grass you can find in some stores works really well and keeps for a while in the fridge. About the only time I think it doesn’t work is in Tom yam soup, but maybe that’s just an aesthetic thing.

If you do find some kaffir lime leaves , they are worth it, slightly different flavor than lime . Most likely you would have to go to an asian specific store ( ranch market in houston has them for those in this neck of the woods) but they freeze just fine, so if you find some but have no immediate plans thats ok. I occasionally stock up on a bag and work though them over a couple of years ( not many needed per recipe)

Now this is from the person who just said he keeps screwing up recipies by messing up with spices, so treat as such.

We had a tree in our entryway. It was a great source of an occasional leaf, then it up and died. :frowning:

Last night was rigatoni with a sauce that simmered much of the day. Served with a Pinot Noir, and for dessert almond milk, vanilla ice cream, and kaluha.