Where might Trump go?

In a low security prison filled with non-violent white-collar criminals, I doubt he’d get shivved or anything. He’d probably be their hero.

But if he does go to prison, I hope you’re right and I’m wrong!

Maybe Putin will buy him an island where he can be president of a Epstein-style honey trap.

Let him go to Scotland by all means. Iran has put out a request to Interpol to have him arrested, and IMHO Scotland would dutifully / cheerfully comply after doing the usual checks as long as Iran promises not to suspend him from a crane.

Still was confusing, but sure, in his mind he would believe it to be a matter of NY vs. Scotland (and wouldn’t he be surprised to learn it’s actualy between US and UK and there is one)

It’s the place to be!

The point, for anyone who is still confused, is that Trump will likely be pardoned of all except state charges, and no foreign country (or part of a foreign country) is going to extradite based on state charges.

That’s why it makes sense for him to flee to a foreign property instead of to Mar-A-Lago. And if we’re deciding which foreign property it would be, the strongest contender is always going to be a property in a white English-speaking country, which would be Trump International Scotland.

I want a cite on that.
Due to the way the US legal system works, that would make virtually all “common” crimes committed in US soil, even murders, become unextraditable.

Regrettably enough, I am unable to prove a negative, so no cite will be forthcoming.

You’re welcome to prove me wrong by demonstrating any case law where a US state ever successfully extradited from a non-US country on state charges. If it’s a real thing, it shouldn’t be hard to find one.

On the extradition point, it’s not Scotland that has an extradition treaty, it’s the UK, and that treaty is with the US. If there are reasonable grounds to believe an individual has committed a criminal offence in the US and is in the UK, then the US can apply to the UK for extradition. Doesn’t matter if it’s an offence under state law or federal law. The courts and the UK government then decide whether or not to extradite. The Government of Scotland isn’t involved in the decision.

On the second point, there is no UK law of libel/slander. There is English/Welsh law of libel and slander, and Scots law. My understanding is that it is easier to show defamation under Scots law than under English/Welsh law, but I don’t have a good cite for that. Will keep poking around.

Here’s three cases from Canada where US citizens were extradited to the United States to face state murder charges. (The point in dispute in all three cases wasn’t whether they should be extradited, but whether the Canadian government should only extradite on an assurance that they would not face the death penalty.)

See also a case where an accused was charged with murder under California law:

See also US v Burns, where two individuals charged with murder under Washington state law were extradited, but in that case only on condition that the United States give assurances that they would not face the death penaltyl:

Returned to the US to face murder charges in Pennsylvania courts.

And here’s the summary of the defition of “extraditble offence” in the US UK Extradition Treaty:

It’s based solely on the punishment, not whether it’s a state or federal offence.

I think you’re right, but I hope he goes to jail first.

I believe Joe Biden said several weeks ago that he won’t be pardoning Trump. Probably even less so now. The guy is literally a traitor.

Why wouldn’t Scotland extradite him to face State level charges? As long as the death penalty is off the table, there will be no problem.

To quote the late great Sean Connery from the movie, ‘Diamolds are Forever’…

It’s not Scotland’s decision. Extradition is a matter for the UK government.

This happens literally every week. You have no idea what you’re talking about.

Here’s a link to someone who was extradited from Australia to California regarding a hit-and-run case.

The Department of Justice has an entire office who’s job is to prepare extradition process pursuant to international treaties, and a significant chunk of those are on behalf of state governments.

I envision a classy stateroom on the USS Pueblo.

Fair enough. Ignorance fought, I have to be wrong now and then. :grinning:

Some place that doesn’t have an extradition agreement with the United States?