Which of these cocktails have you had?

What they call a French 75 I grew up calling a French 105.

The real popular one in my family wasn’t technically a mixed drink/cocktail - the old reliable Depth Charge. You dropped a shot of whiskey in your beer and tried to down it fast enough that the shot glass didn’t come crashing into your teeth. And yes, I do have a chipped tooth as a result of not getting it quite right about the 6th or 7th time one night.

I was thinking that (in terms of wonderin why they might leave out a G&T), but screwdriver is on the list, and that’s just vodka and orange juice.

It’s pretty hard to tell them apart. The meaning of the word has changed. There’s dives, and “dives.”

Of course. I find the very idea of a banana daiquiri revolting.

I didn’t pick John Collins but I have had a Tom Collins. That wasn’t on the list.

Edit: Did not realize I was on the second page of a two page thread. So, exactly what RTFirefly said. Except I’ve had both a Black Russian and a White Russian. Because I like diarrhea after a night of heavy drinking.

Technically, a vodka martini is really a Kangaroo cocktail.

In the cocktail world, adding/changing an ingredient is reason enough to give it a new name in most cases, so things like a strawberry daiquiri are really not “daiquiris” in the strict sense, just like a frozen mango margarita isn’t really a margarita.

I mean, a Sidecar is 1.5 oz brandy/cognac, 3/4 oz cointreau/triple sec and 3/4 oz lemon juice. a “Between the Sheets” is 1.5 oz brandy/cognac, 1/2 oz cointreau/triple sec, 1/2 oz Benedictine, and 3/4 oz lemon juice.

A gin sour is 1.5 oz gin, 1 oz simple syrup, 3/4 oz lemon juice. A gin fizz is the same thing, but with 1-2 oz of club soda added. And a “Southside” is 1.5 oz gin, 1 oz simple syrup, 3/4 oz lemon juice, 2 muddled sprigs of mint, and 1.5 oz club soda. Same thing as the gin fizz, but with mint.

I’m not going to describe it here, but the whole Cape Codder/Greyhound/Bay Breeze/Madras/Salty Dog/Shore Breeze family is the same way.

So I suspect on this list that if they’re calling out a drink, they mean the classic version (i.e. the lime/rum/sugar/ice daiquiri), not a variant on it.

Originally posted by Terry Pratchett in Hogfather:

I had many of the cocktails on the list when I was younger. Now that I am a respectable middle-aged man I find I do not have a taste for any fruit juice other than lime, any sodas other than seltzer or tonic water, and I rarely even have ice in my whiskey. I am drinking a much wider and more interesting variety of beers now than I ever did.

Interesting results so far.

The three top vote getters are the Margarita, Screwdriver, and Long Island Iced Tea. I suspect this is due to the fact that nearly everyone has, respectively: been to a Mexican restaurant, owned both vodka and orange juice at the same time, and, I don’t know, been to a bar? Turned 21? Been female and had someone buy you one? Why do people order LIITs?

The Rear of Living Dangerously

This fits me to a Tee, except for ever putting anything in my whiskey.

To get drunk. (IME)

I love the Vesper, or a least whatever the bartender comes up with using modern ingredients when I order it.

Thirty six for me. I’ve also had a few that were not mentioned. No Michelada? For shame.

I am surprised by how many have tried a Negroni.

A family thing?

An “Espresso Martini”? Cripes, they’ll call anything a martini nowadays.

Regards,
Shodan

Some people have been known to keep a bucket of ready-made margarita mix in their freezer.

That was a fun week. :smiley:

Not really. Both the Negroni and the Americano (a Negroni minus the gin) can be very refreshing on a hot summer day before dinner. A nice break from gin & tonics, for example.

Just got an email from The Dude.

He’s very disappointed that the Caucasian is not on the list!

My favorite is missing - Toasted Almond. I think I picked fewer than 10 - I really don’t drink much or frequently.

I believe the Americano also has soda water while the negroni does not and I agree it’s a great summer drink. We keep a well stocked bar and try new cocktail recipes frequently.

I haven’t had those but Campari and soda tastes like sadness.