Which of these cocktails have you had?

Well, the Americano has Compari, soda, and sweet vermouth.

The IBA recipe doesn’t have creme de violette anyway. That seems wrong to me, but I’ve never had one and didn’t know what one was, anyway, so I guess I’m in no position to judge. Wikipedia says it’s common for recipes to leave it out.

It’s curious that it’s categorized as a “New Era Drink” when it was invented by Ian Fleming in the first James Bond book way back in 1953. That makes it much older than a Sex on the Beach, for example, which is from the '80s.

I’ve never had any of them.

Damn kids, with their jazz music.

It’s especially weird since the ingredients to make a “true” Vesper aren’t available anymore. And haven’t been since Gordon’s was changed the year the book came out and they stopped making Kina awhile ago.

Bond is being demanding. It’s like saying: “Bartender! A rum and coke. But add a shot of vodka. And use coffee instead of coke. And serve in a man’s hat.”

I’ve had 49 of them. I still might order about 10 of that list…

And I agree – no Pimms! WTH!

I think it’s wrong as well. Cocktail origins are often murky, but I’ve read many times that the reason the drink is called the Aviation is because of the sky-blue color the Creme de Violette gives it.

I think I’ve also read that for a long time, Creme de Violette was out of production and/or difficult to find. Maybe that’s why you read so many recipes for the drink that leaves it out?

Regardless, I don’t think it’s the same drink without the Creme de Violette; it’s got a very distinct, fruity flavor.

Here’s the leader board for all drinks with at least 50% of the votes:

View Poll Results: Which of these cocktails have you had?  

Margarita                              184 85.98% 
Screwdriver                            176 82.24% 
Long Island Iced Tea                   165 77.10% 
Mimosa                                 155 72.43% 
Daiquiri                               150 70.09% 
Pina Colada                            148 69.16% 
Mojito                                 139 64.95% 
Irish Coffee                           137 64.02% 
Cuba Libre (Rum and Coke)              136 63.55% 
Whiskey Sour                           133 62.15% 
Bloody Mary                            128 59.81% 
Dry Martini                            127 59.35% 
Tequila Sunrise                        122 57.01% 
Manhattan                              112 52.34% 
Old Fashioned                          111 51.87% 
Mai-Tai                                109 50.93% 

Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 214 

And on a lazy Sunday morning, I read this thread whilst sipping on a properly-made Bloody Mary, with extra horseradish because my sinuses are killing me.

Of the 16 cocktails with over 50% of the votes, we drink 5 of them regularly (Margarita, Screwdriver, Cuba Libre, Bloody Mary, Manhattan). The only reason the Martini doesn’t make our list is the fact that the wife likes her vodka Martini dirty, which is a different creature entirely.

A quick google search shows on line liquordealers have creme de violette in stock. It isn’t even particularly pricey at around thirty bucks a bottle. Buy a bottle and see if it makes a meaningful difference in how an Aviation cocktail tastes to you. The stuff does have other uses, but my guess is that one bottle will go a long way if all you use it for is cocktails.

Another good recipe that uses Creme de Violette is the Water Lily. It’s a bit sweeter than an Aviation, a nice cocktail to start an evening with.

I’ve had a few. I’m not really a cocktail drinker. I much prefer a whiskey on the rocks, with Irish whiskey (specifically Powers) being my favorite. Sometimes I’ll order a Scotch. Teacher’s is my favorite, on the rocks, or, once in a while, one of my favorite single-malts (not on the rocks, though, just with a few drops of water).

I do like a gin and tonic in hot weather. Or a Tom Collins (I saw a “John Collins” on the list – is that the same thing, or something else, or am I just calling the drink the wrong thing?).

But generally I’m not a cocktail drinker.

If creme de violette has the same violet flavor as the violet candies and confections that I have tried, then that cocktail (along with a traditional Aviation) sounds vile to me. Cloying…flowery…perfumey…urrghh.

Occasionally I make daiquiri’s at home. White rum, simple syrup and line juice. Super easy.

To get really drunk without tasting any alcohol at all.

I think that falls under “not a real margarita” for the purists.

But I’m not a purist. Here’s my glass. :smiley:

That’s one of my go to cocktails. If I have grapefruit, I add a squeeze and Luxardo’s to make it a Hemingway daiquiri. I also like a small amount of Luxardo’s in my Manhattans.

Another vote for the missing Pimm’s Cup. I just tried these for the first time about 5 years ago and now they are a summer fixture at my house.

I happen to like the Fuzzy Navel. But when I’m in the mood for one, I make it at home. I’ll be damned if I’m going to order something with a name like that in a public place! Ditto for Sex on the Beach, which, thankfully, I’m not fond of.

Do you make yours with bitter lemon, ginger ale, or something else? It can be tough to find a good “mixer” for this in the US. (I use Polar bitter lemon or Polar half and half with a splash of ginger ale.)

I have never had a Pimm’s cup and wish to correct this error.