Who's missing that you really want to see on the Board?

@Ukelele_Ike seems to have not made the jump to Discourse.

I miss WordMan; he and I became good friends, and got to meet once IRL. But, I understand his reasons for leaving.

LSLGuy returned with the new board, after being gone for something like a year; I’m glad to see him back. He’s an intelligent, interesting poster.

I miss Eve and Sampiro

Was going to say the same. Very glad to see him back.

dougie monty is missed, as is Bricker, though for different reasons.

Happy to see LSLGuy back.

ETA: word on the street is that LSLGuy actual came to the new site many months ago in anticipation of the rest of us moving.

Why are we using @ in front of user names? This isn’t Twitter.

I miss Eve. And from a long time ago - Rue De Day. Chief Scott. Drain Bead. Satan.

Shirley Ujest. Marley23. norinew (RIP). So many.

StG

Isn’t that what causes Discourse to send you a notification that you’ve been mentioned in a thread? This way their attention will be directed to this thread if they do show up, and they will presumably let us know they’re here.

LSLguy was actually one of the posters who, whether he realized it or not, convinced me to stick around when I was lurking back in 2015 - quality stuff in every post. Don’t know whether other posters will thank you or curse you, LSL :crazy_face:

I miss John Mace. Where the hell is that guy?

Who was the fellow who used to tell all the interesting tales – “Skald Something”? Or “Something Skald”?

In May, I realized I was closing in on 20 years (will Discourse ever list join dates/post counts? I guess I don’t really care…). I took the opportunity to search for my 1st posts. Was kinda neat to see several of the old names.

This is gonna sound harsh, but tho I consider many of you friends - and many others welcome acquaintances - but my feelings towards you are quite different from people in interact w/ in meatspace. Other than occasional in-person meetings, I have not taken any SDMB relationships beyond the boards. There are MANY of you whose posts I am VERY glad to see regularly. But I’m hardpressed to think of anyone I’d really be torn up if they stopped posting. And I guess I pretty much assume everyone feels the same about me.

Sure, I could trot off a list of names from the past. But I can’t say their absence really changed my experience on the boards one way or another for me. Every cool/interesting/annoying poster who has left, has pretty much been replaced by someone else.

Having said that - if Uke is gone, that would be disappointing.

You can see the join date by clicking on any poster’s avatar (yours is May 12, 2000) – unless the poster has chosen to make his profile hidden. By clicking on the larger avatar within the box that appears, you get the poster’s entire public profile including the post count, rounded to number of K (yours says 18.5K posts). But if you hover the mouse pointer over the count, it displays the exact number of posts (in your case, right now, 18,459).

Yeah, ya pretty much lost this dino right there. If it ain’t in my face and ain’t essential, it’s pretty much invisible! :smiley:

(That makes 18,460! Maybe I’ll keep track by carving notches into my desk…)

Skald the Rhymer. If memory serves, he’s now essentially blind. He stayed active on the board for a while after he lost his vision (using voice tools), though I think his posting became far less frequent. But, I’m not sure that I’ve seen him around in recent months.

I miss Spiceweasel a lot. I also miss Annamika a lot. Melodyharmonious always made me smile.

I owe a tremendous debt to Digital is the new Analog. He disappeared for several years, came back and posted on the new boards once or twice, and then disappeared again (or at least, I haven’t seen his posts). That’s too bad.

And another vote for Stranger on a Train. I always felt like a drooling simpleton when I read his posts because… damn, that dude was erudite.

Bricker was posting as of a couple of months ago, but I don’t think I’ve seen him post on the new boards. Like many here I never saw eye to eye with him, but he was smart and reasoned (if wrong) and I always enjoyed reading his posts.

WordMan. Loved his posts on music and guitars. Why did he leave?

I don’t miss Bricker much. He had some good points, but he also thought, and said, if you weren’t a lawyer then your views on politics, crime, or justice were worthless.

I miss Vinyl_Turnip’s drive by murders.

+1

Part of it was just real life getting busy, and realizing he was spending a lot of time here. There were some other things that are probably not my story to tell.

He hasn’t posted since receiving a topic ban in March.

Ahhh, I hadn’t seen that. His posts had tended towards the weird (even by his standards) leading up to that.