Have all 50 states housed a sitcom?

A better-known (although of dubious quality) Missouri sit-com was Mama’s Family. It was set in Raytown, Missouri.

You know, Mama’s Family was one of the ones I had in mind when I made the OP. I just blanked on it until about two hours ago, but wasn’t home.

Say What?!?! I am sure that I have seen all of these shows multiple times, and, since I grew up in Illinois, would surely have noticed.

This may require a full-bore, SDMB, episode-by-episode, frame-by-frame analysis…

• Alabama:
  • Alaska: Northern Exposure (if it counts)
  • Arizona: Alice
  • Arkansas: Evening Shade (I think?)
  • California: Too many to fully mention; Yes, Dear, Sara
  • Colorado: Mork & Mindy
  • Connecticut: Who’s the Boss? Bewitched
  • Delaware:
  • District of Columbia: Murphy Brown
  • Florida: Golden Girls, Good Morning, Miami
  • Georgia: Carter Country, Designing Women
  • Hawaii: The Little People
  • Idaho:
  • Illinois: Married…with Children, Still Standing, Roseanne
  • Indiana: One Day at a Time
  • Iowa: Nancy
  • Kansas: Married to the Kellys
  • Kentucky:
  • Louisiana: Frank’s Place
  • Maine: Bailey Kipper’s P.O.V.
  • Maryland: No Time for Sergeants
  • Massachusetts: Cheers
  • Michigan: Home Improvement and Martin
  • Minnesota: Mary Tyler Moore
  • Mississippi: Private Benjamin
  • Missouri: The John Larroquette Show
  • Montana:
  • Nebraska: Heartland
  • Nevada: She’s the Sheriff
  • New Hampshire: Willy
  • New Jersey: Charles in Charge
  • New Mexico: Guestward Ho!
  • New York: Too many to name; Friends, The Jeffersons, Night Court
  • North Carolina: The Andy Griffith Show
  • North Dakota:
  • Ohio: Family Ties, Drew Carey, WKRP
  • Oklahoma: The Torkelsons
  • Oregon: Hello, Larry
  • Pennsylvania: Mr. Belvedere
  • Rhode Island: Family Guy
  • South Carolina:
  • South Dakota:
  • Tennessee: Delta
  • Texas: King of the Hill
  • Utah:
  • Vermont: Newhart
  • Virginia: Major Dad
  • Washington: Frasier
  • West Virginia:
  • Wisconsin: That 70’s Show, Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley
  • Wyoming: Charles in Charge - New Jersey
    I can’t remember 3rd Rock, I know it was somewhere odd? (not too odd though)

still missing: Alabama, Delaware, Idaho, Kentucky, Montana, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Utah, and West Virginia

any gripes? or did I miss any?

Sorry. The Dick Van Dyke Show was set in New Rochelle, which I think is still in New York.
The others are correct as far as I know.

OK. That link doesn’t go where I thought it would. I’m still pretty sure it’s in NY.

I know it’s not a state but The Flying Nun was set in Puerto Rico.

Already covered; check posts #18 and #22.

[QUOTE=Dr. Kenneth NoisewaterI can’t remember 3rd Rock, I know it was somewhere odd? (not too odd though)[/QUOTE]

Odd Ohio.

Montana - Best of the West

Under Ohio you can also add – “Ed,” “Fernwood 2-Night,” “Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman,” “Good Grief!,” “Harper Valley P.T.A.,” and “Maggie.”

No one remembered Eerie, Indiana?

I second Oslo’s request for more information.

The only reference I remember to Illinois is when Eb was trying to win the radio contest, the prize of which was a trip to “Las Vegas, Illinois”. (When he lost, he lamented, “Now I’ll never see Las Vegas, Illinois”).

You have to add Wyoming to the list. Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, North & South Dakota - Hmmm - I wonder if sitcom writers have something against my area of the country - Oh well, It’s better than having a bad sit-com about us.

In the first episode, Oliver tells Lisa they will be flying into Chicago, when she asks if it is by Chicago, he proceeds to tell her this long list of other transportation they’ll have to take to get there. From his description, it could be in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa or Wisconsin.

I can think of several sit-com characters who were from Alabama: Nell (Gimme a Break), Flo (Alice- though in her spin-off they changed her to a Texan), Shirley (* What’s Happening!*) and some sit-coms that have had episodes set in AL, but none that were set here permanently. (And of course Courtney Cox is an Alabamian and was on a super successful sit-com, does that count? Mmm, didn’t think so but was worth a shot.)

Grace Kelly of Grace Under Fire was from Alabama but lived in Missouri.

Nevada: Reno 911!
Alaska: Malcolm in the Middle (the Francis storyline, anyway)
Colorado: Rock Me Baby
Florida: Empty Nest

If dramas count, I remember a short-lived show about farmers on the Big Island of Hawaii, but I can’t recall the name. Also the drama Providence was set in Rhode Island.

I know we have one for Hawaii, but how could anyone forget the obvious: Hawaii Five-O?
Magnum was also set in Hawaii.

Vegas! could be added for Nevada.

Hey, shadowfax, not to burst your bubble, but I’m looking specifically for sitcoms.

What a peculiar place to set a tv show. Carefree is a tiny, tiny, tiny little town about 15-20 miles northeast of here. They have one small shopping center that closes at about 5 o’clock, and they don’t have a gas station IIRC.

Never heard of *Married To The Kellys * A better one for Kansas would be *The Phil Silvers Show * (aka Sgt Bilko)