Lost 1.6 "House of the Rising Sun"

Anti, see post 19. Even before he pocketed them, I had the same thought. Perhaps it explains why Adam and Eve stayed, or lived.

Locke seemed kind of wussy in the flashback scene, and I mean quite apart from his disability, but on the island, he’s been strong and confident. It seems like quite a personality change.

As for Sun’s sudden knowledge of English, if she’s only been taking lessons for a short time, how is it that she speaks it unaccented? And I’d think that she’d have learned some English in school.

And it’s interesting how the flashbacks tell us something more about the characters while adding more mysteries. Like what was Kate’s crime and what kind of business was Sun’s father doing? So they’re not telling us everything about everyone at once.

Oh, and my guess is that Hurley will die sometime soon, since that’s easier than trying to explain why he hasn’t lost weight.

How much real time is supposed to have passed? Isn’t it only like 8 days so far? That could help explain the weight problem, and why he still has juice for his CD Walkman™.

Actually, she said “I don’t want to be Eve,” which was referring the the remains of the woman they found in the cave. She saw going to the cave as giving up on getting rescued, living forever on the island to end up as a mummy for the next unlucky group of castaways to find. That seems to be the driving force behind the group of beach campers – they see going to the cave as surrendering. They still have hope that a massive search effort is going on, and they don’t want to risk being missed by it.

It’ll be interesting to see if attitudes change. Obviously, they aren’t getting rescued any time soon but since they’re not watching a TV show they don’t know that. How long will it take before they decide Jack’s survival plan is the right way to go? Will there be any resentment of the cave dwellers when beach combers come looking for shelter? “We-he-he-he-elll… Look who’s come crawling back?”

Great episode.

EZ

[QUOTE=masonite-Hobbit playing guitar in exact sync with Comic Book Guy’s earphone soundtrack. Not buying it, however it was meant. In fact, that trick of walkman-soundtrack at the end of the episode needed to be done only once, and they already did it.[/quote]
Oh, I like it; it’s a good device. But what song was that at the end? The singer sounded a little like Willie Nelson but I don’t think that’s who it was. Also, why is Hurley listening to country music? He doesn’t look the type.

And why are we calling Michael “Mercutio?”

She meant English lessons, as someone else said. But why do you assume she’s a “fake” decorator? Many people have multiple home businesses these days and she could very well be a decorator / hoaxed-death-planner.

Just for the record: In an earlier thread I declared that I didn’t believe Sun and Jin were really husband and wife. Clearly that was wrong. I think we should all be responsible for our wild-ass guesses and own up to it when they’re proven wrong.

That said, I’m predicting here and now that Kate is really a man.

I’m wondering if there’s any significance to the fact that there is a male mummy and a female mummy.

Wild last episode prediction: the mummies turn out to be Jack and Kate, after some time-travel plot device. Jack will lie down and die with the little pouch and the two little stones, which future Jack will wind up pilfering from his own corpse in the episode we just saw. Look for future hints that the female mummy is Kate. Look for her to take some piece of jewelry or something from that mummy.

I’m still seeing a lot of wish-fulfillment:

Locke wants to be able to walk… and it is so.

Sun wants to get Jin out from under the thumb of Jin’s father…and it is so.

Charlie wants to escape his addiction…and it is so.

Charlie wants to find his guitar…and it is so.

Jack wants to see his father…and it is so.

Kate wants to escape her past…and it is so.

I’m looking forward to Sayid’s backstory. What has he wished for?

The thing with the black and white stones is obvious!

Clearly, Jack has discovered the tribal council area for a primitive Survivor game. Those stones were used in case of a tie vote. :smiley:

Ok, ABC.com for future reference has an excellent recap of each episode to date.

Thanks anyway. Now I can go back and read the thread like a normal obsessed person.

That’s a reach. I’ve seen no evidence in the story that Charlie wanted to escape his addiction.

They’ve only been there a week. It would not be apparent yet.

I hadn’t noticed Captain Falafal beign interest, either. I’m wondering if Jack turns out to be gay, something that drove his father away. That’d hurt poor Kate’s feelings, who’s obviously interested in him. I volunteer to step in should this come true. :stuck_out_tongue:

Me too! The second they start calling Hurley “Piggy”, I’m outta there!

1 - Did Berman and Bragga put you up to this!? :eek:

2 - Which would also help explain the Tree Crusher Monster (TCM). I think I posted about this before, maybe on another board, tho. If the Island of Fulfilled Dreams angle is correct, then the TCM would be a Forbidden Planet type of Monsters from the Id.

Because what happens when someone wishes something bad? Or is filled with anger and hate? Then the magic island uses their wishes, too. And bad things happen.

That’s my #2 WAG about this series. #1 is that it all be wrapped up at the end, a one season series, no worries about having to stretch it out and have cliffhangers, and face cancellation, etc…

That’s true, but he is getting much less food than he would back in the US (and so far much of that appears to be wild boar meat), so I think he’d have lost a few pounds already.

Did I miss something about “rocher noir” in the french translation? Can someone fill me in?

That might be interesting about Jack being gay. That might explain “what he did” to his father, and his seeming apathy towards Kate’s advances.

Well, the US marshal warned Jack that she was dangerous, so he may just be wary of her. He has deliberately avoided asking her about her crimes. But then the piece of paper with her mug shot would probably have had a description of her crimes, wouldn’t it?

A Google translation gives “black rock”

Lost is a HUGE hit for ABC. I would be very surprised if they didn’t find a way to extend it, at least for one more season.

I wasn’t very clear.

I know what it translates to. I didn’t know the French woman said it.

Where’s that transcript again?

But I didn’t know. Well, I knew noir was black, but I didn’t know rocher. I took Spanish in high school, not French.