(Old) A Head For The Hills MMP

Up from naptime. I dreamed I was in a sort of Dirty Dozen style unit, with Rod Steiger as the sergeant, and Winona Ryder as the unit Intelligence officer, and part of the unit’s lesbian witch coven. We had a box of nice butter knives, too. I’m currently watching hockey, and having a Sazarac.

Harris Teeter brand Tussin DM. :crazy_face:

Thanks to PBS, I speak British(helpful when you have to do an English to English translation).

Flyboy and I

It is dark, and I do have a pair of Blues Brothers style sunglasses. And I am on a mission from God*.

*Dionysus :amphora:

Evening all. Have eaten Sunday dinner on Saturday at Texas Roadhouse (forgot to tell them to remove the eggs from the salad, so had to pick out chunks of egg) and then decided to treat myself to the first Butter Pecan ice cream waffle cone of the season. Price has increased by a buck over last year, but the cone was filled right to the bottom with ice cream and the pecans were extra large and plentiful, so I was happy to pay. Been home and slothing since then, probably go watch some basketball here in a bit,

I’ll have what he’s having…

Pilot, glad you could introduce them, ya never know what it could lead too…and pardon my drooling on your dinner.

lucky, sounds like a lovely drive.

OK, need to finish the day’s internettin’. All y’all have a good night/morning and I’ll see you Sunday.

I apologize unreservedly for leaving you out of the roll call of Vieux Carré aficionados.

My entrée was as nice as it portended. As was the Viognier. All have duly disappeared. Dessert has just arrived as the last light fades from the western sky. A three-cheese board with almonds, fig jam, & wheat crackers, plus a French Pinot Noir. Irking is hungry stuff. Good thing.

For everyone, the Moon is just about exactly half tonight. If you have clear enough skies around your local sunset time it’ll be nearly straight up/due south. I try to see the Moon every night or morning it’s possible; it’s satisfying to follow the rhythm of the “music of the spheres” as some ancient poet put it.

Watching the F1 Monaco GP practices. If I win the lottery, I’m renting a yacht, and any of you who like F1 or having cocktails at 0900 will be invited. :smiley:

Waves, then goes back to holding the brush for VBC while I finish reading. VBC brushes herself, thank you very much.

Long day, which was to be expected. It started with me noticing that hubs’ car had a scuff mark on the front bumper…like it had been bumped on a rock or curb at low speed. There was no other paint involved like there would have been if another car had been involved. When I pointed it out, he said it was there when we bought the car.

Brand new, from the dealer.

The Ceremony of Life was about as much fun as memorial service usually is. I was able to show the young ladies how to deal with a stoopid mistake that I had made last night without cussing. They left me totally speechless when they gifted me with one of these.

(I enjoy meeting other cultists, the randomness of it is always entertaining. I have a Cthulhu hatpin on my beat up hat, other identifying label pins on my jackets and a Miskatonic University sticker on my back window. The girls noticed and asked me about it and nobody is too young to be corrupted, so I answered and kinda forgot about it.)

I still don’t really know what to think about the cute Cthulhu needwork swag. I think I need more time to process what this means for future generations.

That sucks so hard. I certainly hope they aren’t expecting any copays out of you to fix their screw up.

You need to start sharing!

You are going to feel so good when you are done. I did my linen cupboard a couple of month ago and I get happy every time I open the door and see nice neat stacks instead of heaps of mismatched pillow cases.

I think you need to stop this nonsense! shoe barely has time to share her stories with us, if she goes off somewhere else, we will never get to hear from her because she is too busy getting a million “likes” over there.

I’m really liking the pics of other firecracker plants. I’d really like a smoke tree, I’ve seen them in town (different climate zone) and they are fabulous.

A lot has changed since last year and you have more important things to deal with. You don’t have to put a veggie garden in at all, you can let the ground rest and spend the time saved relaxing with your hubs.

Looks around for pics of work in progress.

Diatomaceous earth works great. Go to the thrift store and buy a sifter, then sprinkle it around their hole. Use the food grade stuff you get at feed stores, not the stuff they sell at pool stores.

Well, go you! Are the package sizes still accurate (a can of tomato sauce has shrunk over the years)?

That is flipping horrible. I’m sorry and I hope they stop shortly.

Yeppers! I saw it happen in my mind’s eye as I read it and laughed so hard.

Morning, mumpers! It’s currently 18c/64f with a predicted high of 20c/68f, and mostly cloudy. That fits with what I can see from the window. Weather app says “Eh, it’s cloudy but it’s fucking decent outside. Is that more positive? I’m really fucking trying!”

Yesterday was a busy one with the gym, errands and stuff. Last night was a sofa night with cocktails and a couple of films - we’ve have a string of busy weekends so this time it was good to have a night in for a change. Today is going to be a day of complete slothage - I have no plans, and don’t really want any. I’m up, sheveled, Shadow’s been fed and all his current needs have been met. I shall run myself a nice soaky bath in a minute, and contemplate what to do for lunch.

Dinner tonight shall be chilli, my turn to cook and that’s what I have decided on. Apart from that, I have no plans at all. Sofa, book, cups of tea…

Tomorrow I plan to go to the gym, and sort out my t-shirt collection before it gets completely out of hand. Some will go to the charity shop, some will be moved to a storage box and the rest will be tidied up in the chest of drawers for future wearing. I also need to get a photo of me wearing one of them - it’s New Zealand Music Month, one of my friends down there is putting together a large appreciation post for Kaos FM as the radio station champions Kiwi talent. He messaged and asked if I had a Kaos FM t-shirt, which I do, and requested a photo of me wearing it so he can create a montage of pics ready to post on social media on Wednesday. That will be tomorrow’s project then. Right now, I have a good deal of nothing to be getting on with.

We stopped at WaWa so FCD could get a soda and I could use the facilities. I passed the ice cream display and saw Ben & Jerry PINTS for $7.59 each!!! I like B&J, but holy crap on a cracker!!! Even the run-of-the-mill ice cream sammiches were something like $2.79. The world has gone mad! One truly pays for the convenience in that convenience store.

This is such a pet peeve of mine. My MIL’s punkin pie recipe calls for a 1# can of punkin. Good luck! I think they’re down to 14.5oz these days. Fortunately, the recipe still works, but if the can shrinks much more, it may not. Dammit.

Sometimes I wish we could take turns cooking, but spousal unit doesn’t like to cook, and apart from omelets, he’s not a good cook. Plus he’s messy. For us, it works out better if I cook and he rinses the dishes after. And if I don’t feel up to it, there’s always dining out! :wink:

Physical exhaustion led to pretty good sleepage, despite the neighbor’s noisy bonfire party. I had to close the window to muffle the kids’ yelling, but they did quiet down by 10-ish. I didn’t hear my sweetie come to bed - I was out!

Not sure yet what today holds. A lot depends on how FCD is feeling - he was really hurting yesterday. I know he has some welding to do in his shop, so it may be an at-home day. I repaired the torn love seat cover last night, and we might just haul it over to his mom’s place. Or not. Weather radar shows the rain about to hit and linger for the next 3 or 4 hours or so. Not good for moving upholstered furniture. We’ll figure out something.

Happy Last Sunday of May!!

Good Mornin’ Y’all! Up and caffeinatin’. YAWN 'Tis 58 Amurrkin out and cloudy with a predicted high of 81 and mostly N.O.S. for the day. The big plan of the day is deheathenization (it’s Pentecost Sunday, wear red! N.O.R.) then back to da cave for sammiches, nappage, and general sloth the rest of the day. However, I will make N.O.T. sallit at some point, so that will count as productivity.

Now I need more caffeine and to feed rumbly tummy. Then, purtification for deheathenization must commence.

Happy Sunday Y’all! Happy Pentecost Sunday to those who celebrate!

Morning all. Up about 6am, another nice looking day without rain in the forecast until Thorsday, supposed to get to about 77F (61F now). May perform mowage, or wait a couple of days, we’ll see how much ambition I have. May get over to the gym but not much else on the schedule, have done all the shopping I plan to do for awhile.

FCM, I don;t buy Ice Cream for home use, it’s another one of 'if I see it I overeat it" items I try to keep out of my house, and those prices will help. Enjoy yoour day wherever you end up.

Boo fae, slothage is good sometimes; take it from me and swampy… Hope the picture gets used right up front in the montage.

JtC, car will acquire scuff marks soon enough; guess Hubs’ didn’t want to keep you in suspense…

OK, need to get my brain organized, watch the usual Sunday You Tubers, and be about the day. Everyone have a good Sunday.

Up, caffeinated, and sheveled. Off tody. It is rainy, cold, and windy so I shall clean and launder today. I apprently shut Spot in my closet at bedtime last night. He is not holding it against me, at least.

< hold up lighter >

Way off! We live near and work(ed) in Silicon Valley, if that gives you a clue.

Today I go to a local gym for a free three-day trial. It’s the only one in town that accepts the “Silver Sneakers” benefit that comes with our future Medigap insurance, so I want to try it out. It’s a big place and very popular, so I hope it won’t be too much of a mosh pit. All I want is access to treadmills and smaller-size free weights.

Then it’s home to laundry and housework of my choice. Hmm, maybe I’ll tackle the master bedroom with the vacuum and polish, and weed out some old clothes that I won’t need in retirement.

As someone who has done something close to that more than a few times I can attest the only thing that starts spinning is the room

You know a lot of the “helper” type of stuff has had this problem as we’ve made the original tuna helper since they created it and because the cans of tuna have gotten so small it calls for 2 (or sometimes 3) cans of tuna when initially it just needed one 12 oz can At some point they’ll have to go back to selling stuff in an “all in one kit” like they used to do the homemade pizza kits

What a cool gift you were given JtC!

VanGo, when I get hiccups like that, about the only thing that will help is a spoonful of peanut butter (weird, I know, but it works for me).

Mooooooom, the convenience store prices on ice cream aren’t that far out of line with Kroger pints. $5-7 tends to be the norm.

Up, caffeinating, breakfasted and fixing to do KP and Sunday chores. Not a whole lot shaking here today, so I’ll rest up for irk tomorrow (no, I don’t get the day off).

Stay safe and healthy y’all!

It’s the end of the weekend here.

We had a break for a couple of months of relaxing weekends after we moved to Japan and before the kids got too involved in extracurricular activities. Well, there was the skiing / snowboarding, but I was doing that as well.

Our kids were really involved in sailing in Taiwan and we got them to a sailing club today. It looks like I’m back to being an Uber driver again. There will be more and more activities from here out.

It got up to 20 C / 68 F today. Nice spring day, but it was raining a bit. Still not as much as Taiwan.

Good morning everyone!

Didja miss me?

I read all the posts, but I’m sure I didn’t retain anything.

Firstly, welcome back Nellie. I’ve missed you. As others have noted, the fact you are retired doesn’t make your stories or experiences any less relevant! I love your stories and as I have often said, I love the way you tell your stories. Never stop posting.

Congrats to your husband, teelabrown! I hope he can get in the groove and enjoy his retirement.

Beautiful work on the table, Johnny!

Cute pups, sari!

Apologies for anything I’ve missed.

It’s been a very hectic week. I left for Skamania on Monday morning. Skamania Lodge is beautiful. For those of you who are friends on FB, I posted a picture of the sunrise I took from my room. I got up early each day to walk one of the trails and usually had 7,000 to 8,000 steps before 8:00 am, and ended each day with around 15,000 or more steps. The meeting days were long (even the half days), but there was good content. After the official stuff, we would meet for dinner and drinks, so I returned to my room late at night and would be up at 3:30 to start over again. On the day before the rest of the staff arrived, and on the last day, I set up or took down equipment, banners, etc., and helped unload or load up stuff.

On Thursday, I left Skamania, drove to Vancouver, and checked into the Hilton near the waterfront. They are turning that area into a nice place with new restaurants, parks, and hotels, but the homeless camps and people were out in force. A homeless guy was sleeping on the sidewalk right outside of my hotel. My original plan was to stay there for two nights, but I had forgotten how far out Banks, OR was from Vancouver, so I canceled the second night in Vancouver and got a room at Embassy Suites in Hillsboro, OR.

The first afternoon, my sister drove over from Banks in her in-law’s rig, and we walked along the waterfront, went to dinner, and then chatted in my room for a few hours. The following day, I drove to Banks, hung out with her and the in-laws, took her to the dispensary, stopped for foo-foo coffee, went around Forest Grove and Hillsboro, and was astonished at the growth. Forest Grove used to be pretty rural; it’s not so much anymore. We drove to my hotel so I could check in and offload my luggage and work computer, then went back out to the in-law’s place. We left there and drove to the cemetery that the in-laws run to help plant flags on the veterans’ graves. They have a Civil War vet in that cemetery!

After that, we went to McMenamins Lodge for dinner and returned to the in-laws for more chatting. I returned to my hotel around 9:30 or 10:00 and got up early the following day to return home.

I was shocked that they had moved an entire homeless camp, with port-a-potties and dumpsters, out to a more rural area, although that area did have housing developments. The homeless camp was across the road from a housing development, which must piss off the homeowners. And, even though there were dumpsters put for them to use, there was trash everywhere.

I know things change, and I haven’t been out to the area since my kids were little, but it was sad to see the growth (and not for the good) and the extent of the homelessness. We all read about the Portland homeless, but the fact they are clear out in what was and is farm country is just kind of astounding. Also, it was sad to see formerly undeveloped areas with farms and trees and wild areas covered in cement, condos, strip malls and apartments.

But, despite all of that, seeing my sister again was beyond fantastic. It’s going on ten years since we last saw each other. We chatted so much and shared our tribulations, concerns, accomplishments, and lives in a profound and meaningful way. We talk via text and Facebook, but neither of us is a phone person, so we don’t really get into the daily minutia of our lives with each other via electronic conversation. We picked up right where we left off when we last saw each other. It was good to be with her, and it made me realize that I need to make an effort to get down to Texas more often to see her.

I was home by around 10:30 am yesterday. I was exhausted and pretty much spent the day vegging. Today I need to complete the laundry and tidy the house. The kids will be here tomorrow to hang out, so tomorrow morning I’ll go to the grocery store to pick up snacks and ingredients for dinner.

Onward with the day! I’m getting a very late start to my chores!

Grocery store about 20 minutes ago:

“Mr. S? I really liked your class. Didn’t pass, but I liked it.” - bagger, Class of 2012

“I really liked your speech.” - checker, mom of student, Class of 2008

“Nice shirt! (pause) Mr. S? Damn!” - random guy in the parking lot, Class 0f 1996

And people want to know why I go to Vegas to drink and cat around!

Never heard of this cocktail so looked it up. Used to drink Southern Comfort Manhattens when I was first out of college. This drink sounds like something I would enjoy. I’m sorry our daughter didn’t suggest it when we went to Mardi Gras. How do you pronounce it?

I need to do this. Will add to the long list of house tasks that might never get done. but I would like to see nice neat stacks.

didn’t get to bed until around 1:30am, woke up about 6:15, stayed in bed and fell asleep again shortly after 8am and slept until 10:30. Bacon and omelette with half everything bagel for breakfast. Need to go Krogering, mow lawn, perhaps work on garden, go to Fitness Center to workout and then to mass. First I’m going to wash my face and hope that gives me some energy.

Thanks swampy for reminding me to wear red today. Happy Pentecost. :dove:

V O Care AY

Dang! I don’t buy pints so I never really paid attention to them in Food Lion. Now I’ll have to look.

We’re home after much running about. We went to the boat and tidied the inside - put things away where we could, gathered all the trash, piled the stuff that the boatyard guys are still using all in one place, and brought home things that we don’t need aboard for the moment. I did a little cleaning, but still much scrubbing is needed.

Then we came home and loaded the loveseat into the truck and took it to MIL’s. I put the clean covers on it and it looks nice, but dang is that tiny room crowded!! But she did send the tea cart home with us. We’d given it to them years ago and I was always sorry we didn’t get one for ourselves. Now we have one, unless she decides she needs it back. Unlikely.

With the loveseat gone, we were able to move the hammered dulcimer and the glider in its place, and the antique Singer is back under the window where it belongs. Now we just need to decide what to do with FIL’s leather recliner. After I clean it. For now, it’s in the basement.

We went to a late lunch, early supper at Texas Roadhouse, and now we’re home to chill. It still hasn’t rained. We’re supposed to get t-boomers tonight and into tomorrow - I guess we’ll see.

FCD and I have talked about paying the fee for Tobias to attend the same Montessori where Roxy goes, once she starts kindergarten. It’s also a daycare and I think it’s time he spent time around kids his age. So if it’s not too stupid expensive, he’ll go there and I’ll just have to pick them both up on the days SIL works. Daughter is supposed to find out what it will cost.

Other than that, just a boring, dreary, overcast day in southern Merrylande!

Howdy Y’all! We deheathenated and got the birthday of the church all celebrated. Then it was back to da cave for a sammich N.O.L. followed by nappage. I have N.O.T cooked and aigs boiled for the N.O.T. sallit. In a while I shall actually put it all together. We have had Sunday afternoon beerverages and I foresee another couple or three callin’ me in short order. Tomorrow bein’ a holiday, the biiiiiig trash can will not get hauled until tomorrow evenin’. I remembered to check the website to make sure. Go Me!

Taters glad the irk trip went well and so glad you had a good time catchin’ up with sis. I need to make the trip up to Ye Olde Home Towne sometime soon to see all the sibs, especially my little sister. There’s only nineteen months difference in our ages, so I have an especially good time with her, her daughter (youngest niece) and nieces way too cute for words baby boy.

Quietly cool you get to see former students and parents of students like that.