Son of Zorn: the complete series

During my recent annual Spring vacation, I decided to take on a personal project about a subject that’s been gnawing at me for a long time. Well, all right, I’ve totally lost interest in a rather unsettling number of things I used to be a big fan of…console video games, Flash video games, Pump It Up, bike riding, football, basketball, MMA, fanfiction, anime, Vocaloid, fantasy novels, R&B music, reality shows that don’t have business deals and/or machines being heavily damaged…so it’s not like there’s a whole lot else on my plate.

Son. Of. Zorn. :skull: To recap: I found out about this hybrid reality/animated show from Kongregate, which was promoting it pretty hard. I watched the first episode and was almost immediately floored by how completely repulsive it was. I managed to tough it out for two more episodes, and a few little snippets after that, before giving up in disgust (I did watch the season finale). I was so completely horrified that I made a thread just to express my concern that there was even a molecular chance it would catch on (this one). Seriously, I cannot overstate how overwhelmingly disgusted I was with every single aspect of this show. There have been shows which became totally repugnant to me after two or three seasons (South Park and King of the Hill being the prime examples) and shows which had some episodes I found infuriatingly awful (The Simpsons, Animaniacs), but never one which drew out such complete, absolute loathing from me from start to finish. All throughout the experience, I kept asking this question over and over: Who thought this was a good idea?

Well, it was cancelled after one season, reportedly because the ratings weren’t high enough to justify the tremendous work it required. Since then, other than using it as my go-to “This actually existed! Someone freaking thought this was a good idea!” reference, I’d largely forgotten about it. But something strange happened…it bothered me that I never got this show. Now, normally whenever an undeserving work of entertainment becomes wildly popular, I just chalk it up to the stupid ignorant public being played like fiddles again and move on to other things. (Hey, I never said a word about Twilight, did I?? :slightly_smiling_face:) But this was a show which was so offensive that I couldn’t imagine anyone with a shred of conscience even tolerating it, much less liking it…and as it turns out, there were viewers who liked it. A lot! You can see it some of them the comments to this and in the mostly positive reviews on the IMDB page. Why? What did I miss? Did things really turn completely around by episode 5? Was I…dare I say…too hard on it?

Of course, since the property was far too marginal to ever get on a streaming service or (ha!) DVD, the only place to watch it was on YouTube, and as it turns out, they charge. Fifteen dollars, to be exact. And that kept me away for a long time. But my nagging doubts wouldn’t go away. I just knew that someday I’d take the plunge.

All right, baseline stuff. I have been on the bottom of nearly every damn totem pole I’ve been on in my life, patriarchy has done jack squat for me, and the conservative white male cishet hegemony has never, ever been my friend. I have massive problems with right wing entertainment (if you’ll pardon the oxymoron :wink:) and anything that even hints at punching down. I hate jerks, and I really hate jerks that never face consequences. My language is going to get harsh, and I’m not going to shy away from the show’s obvious politics. If this results in the thread being moved, I’m 100% fine with that. I will be covering all 13 episodes. You’re all free to chime in as you wish; just be warned that it’s highly unlikely that you’ll change my opinion. I’ll put up one episode per day, then a big wrapup.

As you are reading these, I want you to keep in mind that the season was a chaotic mishmash from start to finish. Check out the cast and crew link on IMDB; complete revolving door. There was never any semblance of cohesion in the direction or writing. So my viewpoints of the characters and stories are going to jump around quite a bit.

And just so we’re perfectly clear, I am not “hate watching” or “watching ironically”. I don’t have the time or blood pressure for that foolishness. This is a sincere effort to understand why a very large majority liked something I considered impossible to like. Furthermore, I’m not worried that giving Fox my money is going to encourage them to make more of this stuff. I want them to make more of this stuff so they can get it right this time. I’ve followed the Fox lineup long enough to know that this network is capable of quality programming, so the prospect of a renewal or spinoff doesn’t worry me in the slightest.

And…that’s it. Time to dive in. (At least this is going to take less effort than The Authoritative Calvin and Hobbes, which was what I originally planned to do for my vacation.)

++ Main cast ++

Zorn (Jason Sudeikis/Dan Lippert) [Sudeikis did the voicework; Lippert was the actual warm body that the other actors interacted with. I’ll use this same format for the other cartoon characters.]
Basically what you’d get if you created a person with every single negative trait you could think of, and then someone came by and added the ones you missed. A violent, egomaniacal, infantile, petty, greedy, ignorant, moronic, pigheaded, destructive, vindictive, reckless macho jerk to the bone. The main source of this show’s humor. Does improve over the course of the season; I’d argue not much.

Alangulon (Johnny Pemberton)
“Alan” for short. The hapless, long-suffering son of Zorn and Edie (which makes him the title character, strangely enough). In addition to the normal teenager issues, he’s deeply conflicted about his mixed ancestry, which is the catalyst for most of his stories.

Edie (Cheryl Hines)
Zorn’s former wife. After marrying him because reasons and later divorcing him because reasons, she moved to Orange County and started a new life with Craig because…wait for it…reasons. She spends a lot of time grumbling, mostly about Zorn, and strongly disapproving of this or that. Pretty dishonest and slimy all around. However, she can be moved to take positive action, typically after exhausting all other options.

Craig (Tim Meadows)
Edie’s fiancee and the physical and ideological opposite of Zorn, a wimpy intellectual who detests violence. Spends nearly the entire run of the show trying to become a better man. Cannot hold his liquor at all.

Linda (Artemis Pebdani)
A hopelessly lazy and incompetent Sanitation Solutions manager and Zorn’s boss. Rarely happy, always locking horns with someone, and has some majorly weird desires.

Todd (Mark Proksch)
An employee of Sanitation Solutions. The writers never really nail down his personality. In general, he’s trying to get ahead, he finds Zorn frustrating, and he’s really, really stupid.

You’ll like this.
Never seen in the US.
Full of Surfer humor, Tiki culture, and monster/pop references.

Wasn’t expecting a recommendation, but all right, I’ll watch it when I have the time. :slightly_smiling_face:

Episode 1 - Return to Orange County

Original airdate: September 10, 2016

Youtube synopsis
When Zorn travels from his native land of Zephyria to California to visit his son, Alangulon, aka Alan, he learns that his ex-wife, Edie, has a fiancé. But to reconnect with his son, Zorn stays and obtains a job where, despite his “unique” qualities, he is welcomed by his new boss.

Supporting cast
Scott (Tony Revolori), Frank (Nate Mooney), Nancy (Ellen Wong), Tom (Jon Daly), Headbutt Man (Rob Riggle), businessman #1 (Sam Richardson), Laseron (Lori Alan), Skunk Man (Jess Harnell), businessman #2 (Indrajit Sakar), young Alangulon (Finnegan George)

Episode
Fully-animated panoramic shot of Zephyria, a cartoon island nation in the South Pacific. A battle rages between a band of plucky heroes and a squad of Glombeasts. One such brute stands on a precipice above when the lights in his eyes fade and he gets cut to pieces. Pinkish-magenta liquid spurts out of his severed body, which of course is not the same color as blood and therefore does not count as gratuitous violence. (As said liquid gets shed in later episodes, to save time I’ll refer to it as “blud”.) The attacker turns out to be Zorn, who fires a cheerful “Mind if I…cut in?

But just when it looks like the tide of battle has turned, Zorn’s phone gives him an announcement: It’s his son’s birthday, meaning that fighting will have to wait. Of course, this doesn’t make any sense given the absolutely horrifying number of violent atrocities he’s committed that we’ll learn about later, but trust me, internal consistency is way too big an ask for a show like this. Oh, and someone name Skunk Man gets whacked.

On the plane, Zorn passes the time by being a total ass to the passengers next to him. After accusing one of fake sleeping (:roll_eyes:), he turns to the other and rattles off his titles, (Defender of Zephyria! Conqueror of the Tribes of Agon! Decapitator of the Dark Herdsmen of something-or-other! Blah blah of blah blah blah blah!) only to be foiled by a pair of headphones.

At the terminal Zorn retrieves his luggage (his sword) with some difficulty, quietly endures the cigarette smoke from three businessmen (the only time we ever see smoking on this show, BTW), and takes a shuttle van to his son’s home. He tries to bore the passenger next to him with his titles, only to find that this one’s wearing headphones as well! “You’ve got to be [bleeps] kidding me.” Whoa, we’re starting off with censorship? Ominous.

After yanking the van driver’s chain and then refusing to tip him (:man_facepalming:), he rings the doorbell and is greeted by his ex Edie. “Y’know, I called the flight attendant a stewardess. Bad move. He was not pleased.” I mention this because it’s an almost passable joke, which is a rarity on this show. Shot of a family photo with Zorn cut mostly out of the frame. They chat a bit about their son. Cut to Alangulon’s high school, Fullerton Hills, where he’s talking to his buddy Scott in front of the front steps. We learn that Zorn is a bit of a wild man.

Back home, Craig walks in; Edie introduces him as her fiance. They share a handshake, whereupon Zorn immediately pulls a classic jerk move by squeezing his hand way too hard. Craig admonishes Zorn for “emasculating” him in front of Edie. Craig mentions an online lecture that he needs to get to soon and reveals a lot more than he should before leaving the room. In case you didn’t get the message, he’s a pants-wetting left-wing loser and therefore deserves whatever happens to him. :angry: Edie let’s Zorn know that as good as the goat sex was in the past, she’s moved on and Craig is his man. Zorn is not happy about that.

Outside, Zorn chops down a mailbox in frustration (the first of many, many, many instances of him causing rather serious property damage that do not get acknowledged or punished in the slightest) but is soon distracted by the sight of Alan’s passing school bus. Zorn tries to get his attention, but Alan is too mortified to respond (even more so after Zorn threatens to tear the bus and all its occupants to shreds, because we all know how screamingly funny death threats are. :angry:). Thankfully the bus moves on without incident.

That night. As Alan walks through the door, Edie asks where he was. Alan is evasive. Edie opens up the present Zorn gave him, a cel-shaded brain gouger. Craig helps by offering to gouge out the part of Alan’s brain that’s making him angry. :man_facepalming: It’s clear Alan doesn’t appreciate Zorn going away for so long.

Zorn, from a makeshift camp outside Edie’s home, checks in on the fight he left behind and sees that it’s going well. He offers some words of encouragement to Headbutt Man. Edie finds him and drops off some supplies. Edie points out that Alan is upset about Zorn never being around. Zorn angrily fires back that he’s been fighting to defend the Staff of Quiv. Edie doesn’t care about some meaningless stick and says that if he wants to win Alan over, he’s going to have to stay here. Again, he was ready to return to Zephyria, but she talked him out of it. Keep this in mind for future episodes; it’s going to be rather important. Just after Zorn grumbles about the paltry amount of toilet paper Edie left him, Headbutt Man’s voice blares to life on the phone. After making another super lame sex joke :weary: (I’m not going to note every one, but be assured that there are a fricking lot of these), he tells Zorn not to worry about his son, because HM neglected his own son and he turned out just fine. Which, of course, is the cue for HM’s son to get neatly chopped in half in a spray of what was most definitely not blud, which causes HM to instantly 180 and lament that he never blah blah blah ham-handed “high concept” show be ham-handed, you get the drill.

Operation Settle Down officially begins with Zorn renting out an apartment from a colossal pervert (Frank), who accepts a shiny cartoon gauntlet as payment.

Next stop, the Orange County branch of Sanitation Solutions, world’s largest seller of industrial hand soap dispensers and absolutely nothing else. The manager, Linda Orvend, grills Zorn about an entry level sales position. It’s not going well. Then we see the resume, and…yuh-ikes. Okay, so he clearly doesn’t know anything about sales, and the “Special Skills” section shows that he’s pure evil (in addition to a colossal piece of shit). But he also lists “the liberal media” as one of the enemies of Zephyria, and just in case that particular 500-ton steam hammer was a bit too subtle for you, “DIVERSITY HIRE!!” is written on the bottom. That’s right, diversity hiring (which is a real thing; read all about it here) means that even if the candidate is an evil murderous self-centered 100% unqualified asshole, as long as he ticks off the right minority boxes you MUST give him the job, which shows you how godless liberal ideas are ruining this once-great aaaaaaaaagggggghhhhhhh. :scream: I’ll get back to this. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: Linda asks if he owns a shirt, to which Zorn replies “Does a Grithian herdsman have nine anuses?” which is apparently so screamingly funny that it’s going to be used two more times over the course of the series. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Grocery shopping, mostly (as in completely) packaged meat. Tentative haircut. Trying to put a severed hand through a change machine, har-dee-har-har. Inappropriate nudity. Attempting to update the situation with Alan and failing because he talks so long the voice mail keeps cutting off.

Zorn finally meets his son (by throwing a massive mud ball at Edie’s car and then making fun of their shocked expressions, which I’m certain someone found absolutely hilarious). Fun father-son activities: Slicing baseballs that he most definitely does not own in half. Insisting that because Linda has power over him, she’s actually a man. (Hoo boy, misgendering. Imagine trying to sell THAT little personality quirk today. :disappointed_relieved:) Expressing a desire to kill Craig. “The point is, I’m here now. And that…erases everything bad I did.” :weary: And…calling a waitress a whore…and…drinking blood out of the…skulls…this episode is honest-to-Vulchazor giving me a headache. And Alan has a crush on Nancy. Ooh, Zorn’s bracelets have spring blades in them, just in case threatening people and committing property crimes with his sword gets boring. The waitress turns out to be Nancy, who Alan has a crush on. Zorn threatens to murder her…yeah, definitely a headache. :rage:

Screw it. Old video, wrecking an office table, punching a receptionist (Violence against women, another winner! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:) let’s just skip to the bird, which is apparently the one thing everyone remembers about this show.

In an attempt to win over Alan, Zorn gives him an enormous Death Hawk so he can fly to and from school in style. Alan thinks it’s way cool and even gets on it, but Edie immediately and angrily nixes the idea. Funny thing is, she never brings up any specific reason she objects to the bird (and there certainly are valid ones; I’d say the prospect of plummeting to one’s death would be pretty high on the list)…it’s as if the show’s trying to paint her as a whiny killjoy shrew. Craig tries to chime in, whereupon Zorn very rudely shouts him down. Zorn ultimately capitulates and sets the bird free, by which I mean extremely inefficiently and messily (real blood!) kills it. Just to put it in perspective, it took him about half a second to take out the Glombeast in the opener.

Alan tries to put the whole ugly slaughter behind him. He brushes his teeth…and we learn that his entire lower body is a cartoon.

Credits scene: Craig washes away a very large quantity of cartoon blood while the slain Death Hawk lies, still twitching, in three separate garbage bins, which I’m certain someone found absolutely hilarious.

Comments
All right, consider where I’m coming from. I found out about this from Kongregate, a free Flash games site which I was a huge fan of in 2016. All it told me was “Hey, there’s this new series on Fox which mixes live action and animation, and it stars a barbarian with a thing for Hot Pockets, check it out.” No warning about the mounds of right wing excrement that was about to be dumped in my face. Let me be quite clear: Liberal, leftist, hippie policies are why I am alive today. They gave me clean air, clean water, clean food, a non-polluting car, safe roads, an education actually worth a damn, a good home, a good job, a steady income, competent doctors who care about my health, and safe medication. So when some bloviating sack of pig shit goes on C-SPAN or CNN and preaches about how we need to gut environmental regulations or affirmative action or food safety standards so the billionaires can get another tax cut or the banks can get an even bigger bailout, or how oppressed racist scumbuckets are because they can’t scream the N word or put on blackface or hang nooses from trees anymore, or how we need to kill all the gays and drag queens and trannies because the invisible space unicorn demands it, fuck yeah that pisses me off. So when I hear all this talk about high concept this and cutting edge that and how delightfully funny it is, and right out of the gate it takes a colossal dump on “liberal media” and diversity hiring, how am I SUPPOSED to react?

Also, a little more about Zorn. It is possible to build a story around a violent unhinged asshole and make it work. Gotham’s Victor Zsasz was an endlessly fascinating character, as was Empire’s Andre Lyons. But it requires nuance, it requires the character to be likable on some level, and, most importantly, it requires the character to face consequences. To see an asshole get away with murder again and again is infuriating. Hell, even Trey Parker and Matt Stone eventually realized that Eric Cartman couldn’t go unpunished forever! To start from a position of “The main character is going to be a complete sack of shit and always get away with it” is a terrible place to show to ever get to, much less start at.

Rating
1/10. The worst season opener of any show of any stripe I have watched in my life, and it’s not even close. Fuck this punching down shit.

For those who didn’t watch it (and don’t want to read massive walls of text) Son of Zorn was a sitcom that basically mixed animation of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe into a live action series. In the show’s world, there is a nation where everyone is animated and lives a swords-and-sorcery, Conan-ish warrior lifestyle. One of the main characters of the show is a woman who spent some time in that land a number of years ago and came home with a mixed-race son. He is now a teenager. His bottom half is animated, so that adds to his normal teenage angst. Then his He-Man expy father comes to America to live near his son. The warlord father has to adjust to a world where he wears a suit and tie and doesn’t solve his problems with a sword. That’s it. It was a pretty by-the-numbers fish-out-of-water story. Nothing “right wing” about the show in text or subtext.

Episode 2 - Defender of Teen Love

Original airdate: September 24, 2016

Youtube synopsis
After embarrassing Alan in front of his crush, Nancy, Zorn uses the Stone of Sight to spy on the girl for his son. Meanwhile, Edie is determined to move on and forces Zorn to finally move his old boxes out of her garage and into his own apartment.

Supporting cast
Scott (Tony Revolori), Uber driver (Horatio Sanz), Nancy (Alice Lee), Shannon (Giorgia Whigham)

Episode
Zorn is in Edie’s garage sorting though the legacy of their time together. He shows her a prized artifact, the Stone of Sight, and an old Game Boy. Edie reminds him that he’s supposed to be cleaning out the garage so Craig can put in a new bicycle rack. Zorn, who hates bicycles (of course), digresses into tantric sex with Edie. Seriously, no attempt at a segue or double entendre or anything, he just completely forces it, Which I’m Certain Someone Found Absolutely Hilarious (I have the feeling I’m going to be using that a lot.) Oh, signature moment! Edie got a tattoo of “Z” on one butt cheek and “RN” on the other, which, contrary to popular opinion, I find completely disgusting! :face_vomiting: He promises that he will start moving the boxes and, naturally, immediately starts playing Tetris on the Game Boy.

Alan runs into Nancy walking her dog and chats her up. An innocuous scene; of course, the real point is for Zorn to say “elfish waifish Asian maiden” in the hopes that it’ll become a catchphrase or whatever. (He should defer to the master on that.) And for Zorn to gyrate is butt in front of the window and make lewd faces, and friendly reminder that shameless fan disservice is at least as bad as shameless fanservice. Anyway, Nancy is scared off and leaves her dog’s poop on Edie’s lawn, and nope, still no positive qualities to this royal dickhead. :rage:

At the Sanitation Solutions office, Zorn displays his usual level of ability to do anything right. Boss Linda stops by and expresses the first twinges of doubt about his competence, mainly because he hasn’t made a single sale yet. We get our first look at Todd, who just landed two new deals. Zorn continues the me-me-me act, but Linda delivers an ultimatum: Make a sale or he’s fired, and hoo boy, this really will be a test of whether anything bad is allowed to happen to him, ever.

In the breakroom, Zorn calls Alan (snatching up a bagel slice just as someone’s about to reach for it :angry:) and offers to help with his elfish waifish Asian maiden problem. After citing three princess he’s been with in the past, his advice? “Offer her some Corn Nuts.” :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Back home. Edie admonishes Zorn that he has to get his stuff out of the garage. Alan returns from school and goes over Zorn’s advice. Edie scoffs at it, citing Zorn’s use of the word “vajiba”. :roll_eyes: He sees Craig on the computer and asks if he’s grading. “Not grading, Alan. Grading implies the traditional letter system which, as you know, I find limiting. For instance, this student just scored a P7!” For the record, a P7 is the equivalent of an A-, while a P8 is a C. Darn those liberals and how they making grades needlessly confusing, which is totally a thing that actually happens! :angry: (Geez, I get that right wingers have an absolutely garbage sense of humor, but could they at least be arsed to learn what a joke freaking is??) Impatient with Zorn’s lack of progress, Edie ask Craig to move the rest of Zorn’s junk to his apartment.

Alan runs into Nancy at the water fountain. After some awkward flailing, Alan settles down and uses…THE LINE. Oh my god, it worked! It turns out Nancy loves Corn Nuts…oooohh! Unfortunately, Alan doesn’t have any Corn Nuts, so he still totally strikes out! HAAAA HA HA HA HA…ha… :expressionless:

Moving on. Alan goes to Zorn’s still bare-bones apartment, which he compares to a place “crackheads go to have sex”. (It’s adorable how the writers think bellowing “SEX!” over and over and over is going to hide the fact that there isn’t any actual sex on this show, it really is. :roll_eyes:) We learn that Zorn keeps meat in the toilet, because just because you’ve reached a level of villainy that would make Charles Montgomery Burns blush doesn’t mean that you can’t be incredibly gross as well! :face_vomiting: Alan mentions that the Corn Nuts trick worked (while omitting what the end result was, of course). Zorn, after a lot of roundabout blather, admits that he found out this fact via the Stone of Sight, presently attached to Zorn’s sword. Alan gives it a go, holding up the sword with some difficulty and uttering the command “Show me Nancy.” Alan gets a clear shot of Nancy working at the restaurant where he first met her; he’s blown away. Zorn gives a warning that it’s dangerous in the hands of evil. After they get into a semantic battle over what stalking is and whether certain things are crimes, Alan is about to leave, but Zorn reveals some more facts about Nancy. Alan rationalizes that because he didn’t ask Zorn to reveal this information, he’s not ethically culpable for how he uses it.

Craig loads up his car while nervously trying to avoid getting assaulted by a cartoon invertebrate with lots of nasty teeth.

Zorn’s Nancy-spying quest has spilled over to work. It’s a frustrating task. He takes a break by seeking the stealer of his phone, only to pull it up himself. “Oh, of course, it’s in the coin pocket! Now I gotta go back and apologize to that valet.” :man_facepalming: Then he discovers that…he has a bald spot…which he doesn’t have any problem with. “You know what, whatever, it’s not like Craig doesn’t have a bald spot.” See, see, the joke is that you thought he would go berserk or fly into a panic when he found out, but he didn’t, so, so, irony, and, and… :expressionless: His next target is Craig, who’s happily biking with Edie, which of course enrages Zorn. His thoughts go back to work. He flags down Todd and ask him how to make a sale. Todd’s advice: start with someone you know. Whereupon Zorn asks him if he’d like to buy some soap dispensers. :roll_eyes: Geez…after the open sewer that was the first episode, a lame sequence like this is almost refreshing, but that feeling is definitely not going to last.

Alan encounters Nancy, who’s with her friend Shannon at a clothing outlet. Nancy marvels at how well Alan knows her. Shannon is skeptical, but Nancy insists he’s a changed teenager. “Whatever. I’m going to see if some of this stuff from the 80’s still has coke in the pockets.” (Did I mention that in addition to the sex stuff, the writers throw in all kinds of drug stuff completely out of the blue? It’s edgy! :roll_eyes:) Alan invites Nancy to a weekend concert.

Zorn finds all his stuff in the office hallway and tries to schlep it back to Edie’s garage, but she shuts him down. Big argument over whether Edie has the right to do what she wants with her own property. :angry: Zorn still thinks he and Edie are an item. (He also claims to have a single “pebis”, which is going to cause more continuity problems down the road.) As further evidence, he points out that Edie didn’t really remove her Z/RN tattoo…a mistake, as she quickly deduces that he has the Stone of Sight. She angrily detaches it from the sword and stows it in Craig’s safe. Zorn claims that he needs it and reiterates that it’s dangerous in the hands of evil, to which Edie responds “You are the hands of evil!” (Wow, did not expect this level of brutal honesty.) Zorn proclaims “I! AM! ZORN!”, then attempts to crack the safe, first with 0000, then 0001, then 0002, and finally 0003. You sure are, big guy. :roll_eyes:

Zorn tries to warn Alan about the loss of his scrying ability, but Alan is so hyped up for his concert date that he’s hearing none of it. Linda stops by, and they have a Big Misunderstanding (mistaking Alan’s date with Zorn needing to make a sale).

Craig, in fairness mostly by luck, disposes of the nasty cartoon invertebrate. He then tells Edie that she can’t force Zorn to move on, then has a weird Donald Rumsfeld-style Q & A monologue about her tattoo. And another sex joke.

That night. Zorn, now forced into more mundane means of illicit spying, is peeking through Nancy’s window via binoculars from the back seat of an Uber car. Oh no…there’s another boy in the room, and she kisses him! Zorn, of course, assumes that it’s her brother, which gives him the perfect opportunity to add to his already-astronomical list of faults by judging her. :angry: Just then her father bursts out to confront Zorn and the driver. Zorn tries to hide behind the window, but it’s immobile. Dad recognizes Zorn and explains that he’s angry that Zorn urinated on his tree (which knocked it down). The driver, Brian, admits that he doesn’t know Zorn and just picked him up at the park after a bout of drinking, for which Zorn busts his rating down to 4 stars. And then Zorn assumes the father is Vietnamese (he’s Cambodian), which he takes immediate offense to. Luckily Brian says that it’s racist, because if you point out that something it offensive, that cancels it out. :angry::man_facepalming:

Zorn goes back to Alan, now quietly playing a guitar in his room and looking unusually despondent. Zorn tries to break the bad news gently with the old “you’re too good for her” line, but Alan sees right through it…because he knows everything that happened, because he used the Stone of Sight. “Got into Craig’s safe. He says the code out loud when he types it in, 0006.” I believe the proper term for this is “wah wah waaaah”. :man_facepalming: Alan is bitter that Nancy never told him about her boyfriend, which triggers…uh oh, it’s finally happening! The Total Raging Asshole Very Briefly Being A Decent Person Moment! :astonished: (Just like Homer Simpson used to do all the time!) Of course, Zorn being Zorn, he has to kick it off with a pointlessly violent fantasy, but once that’s over…uh…he says “Once you start to let go and move on, who knows…maybe it gets better.” Mmmmmmmmm. Probably shouldn’t have expected better, but that just seemed flat to me. Alan wants to continue the conversation, but Zorn is too attached to his Game Boy, which he can apparently just summon out of thin air now.

In an effort to show some responsibility, Zorn destroys the Stone of Sight in front of Edie and Craig. Edie thanks him for finally moving his stuff out of the garage. “I guess we’re finally divorced now.” He apologizes to Craig and offers to start completely fresh. Craig’s fine with that. Zorn introduces himself as a Sanitation Solutions salesman…and before you know it, Craig has bought $600 worth of soap dispensers. Zorn, his job saved, celebrates by spying on the pair with the taped-together Stone of Sight, y’know, in case you were worried that he was going to stop being the most colossal pile of shit on the planet. :angry: “Zorn, how you make the puppets dance.” But then Craig admits that he made the purchase out of pity, which Edie finds completely understandable, and she forgives him. Zorn flies into a rage and smashes the Stone to pieces a second time, which is really for the best.

Credits scene: More cartoon vermin emerge from Zorn’s stuff and check out his new digs. Some purple baby thing bursts out of a spiked mace, cries, and starts to give a scaaaaary roar just before the cut to logo.

Comments
This episode provided a nice illustration of why right wing humor does not work. The right wing is all about being a colossal asshole and persecuting anyone they don’t like with total impunity. That’s why you hear so much shrieking about “woke” or “liberal media”. They’d love to be able to insult their bosses or snatch a bagel away just as someone’s about to take it or extort slavish compliance from Uber drivers with zero consequences. They want a world where you can do anything you want if you’re big and strong and heavily armed. They endlessly parrot bullshit like “get woke go broke” not because it’s true but because they desperately need it to be true. It is never going to appeal to any significant audience, and it is never going to last. Look at the track record of garbage like Liberality For All and the Chosen Girls if you don’t believe me.

Hey, did I mention how tiring it is to watch a show centered around someone as vile as Zorn? Seriously, after two episodes of the original run, I felt like I had gone 10 rounds with a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu black belt. That plus the headaches. I can tolerate a lot of things in my entertainment, but when it reaches the point of physical discomfort, it’s a big time no-sell.

On top of that, the plots are all over the place. I barely know anything about most of the characters. I don’t even know how I should feel about Nancy (Did she cruelly play Alan, or did she never express any actual romantic interest in him and he was just too ignorant to realize it?). Having way too much plot in a half-hour episode is just a bad idea.

Rating
2/10. I’ll give this episode credit for making an (insincere and half-assed) attempt at humanizing Zorn with that ending. It’s definitely not as bad as the season opener. It’s still something I have no intention of ever watching again and would be very happy to forget ever existed.

Episode 3 - The War of the Workplace

Original airdate: October 1, 2016

Youtube synopsis
After watching someone from the office across the hall take hot sauce from the Sanitation Solutions break room, Zorn tries to rally the rest of his co-workers to wage war on them – Zephyrian style. Meanwhile, Alan tries to get Edie to give him a note for gym class as it’s swim unit next week and he’s afraid to expose his legs.

Supporting cast
Jakton (Bobby Lee), Derek (Bryce Johnson), Stephen (Wayne Wilderson), Warren (Noah Munck), gym teacher (Craig Cackowski), coworker (Tony Lei)

Episode
A beach. Craig is building a little sandcastle. Suddenly a blast sprays sand everywhere, and Zorn shouts “Ha! Castle Craig has fallen!” Cut to Zorn standing on top of an impossibly massive and detailed sand fortress, and how he did it, how he can stand on top of it, and why no one’s paying any attention to it are left to your imagination (along with why someone with this kind of structural engineering prowess sought an entry-level job selling soap dispensers in the first place). A disgruntled Craig asks for Alan’s help in doing an underwater flip; Alan eschews the water because it takes 3 hours for his hair to dry. Edie emerges from the castle, saying that she was just using the bathroom…and…y’know what, I’m just going to let that go because I don’t feel like throwing up. With Craig unwilling to continue the battle, Zorn sets his sights on a couple of very little girls. He wrecks their castles, they cry, and he smiles blissfully and says “Oh, I missed that sound.” Uh… :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: I’ll get back to this.

Gym class at Fullerton. Warren, the school bully, wearing a t-shirt with his name conspicuously written on it, does a sudden head pump at a startled classmate. He sees Alan wearing sweatpants and taunts him with “nipple knees”, whatever that is. In the locker room, the gym teacher steps in and announces that they have swimming next, which doesn’t please Alan at all.

Sanitation Solutions office. Zorn, fresh of his recent $600 triumph, is spending company time rambling about his glory days with an IT guy, who helpfully informs him that the reason why the printer won’t work is that he didn’t hit “Print”. Ooh, and a herpes joke, that’s…something. :grimacing: Linda breaks up the eternally-stuck-in-the-past session with a task: copy and overnight a stack of documents. And he will not give the documents to a pigeon this time after mistaking it for a raven. The line between “refuses to adapt to his new culture” and “just plain moronic” is a fine one with him.

Edie’s home. Craig notices a couple of very nasty messages someone wrote on Alan’s backpack, which he vainly tries to brush off as “inside jokes”. Edie thinks he’s being picked on at school; Alan denies it. Oh, oh, here it comes, the Worthless Total Bullshit “Solution” To Bullying That’s Only Going To Get The Victim Beaten Up Even Worse! Craig: “Say ‘you are loved’.” Ohhhhh boy. :slightly_frowning_face:

Back to the office, where Zorn is, like you even need to ask, blowing off the task his boss gave him to play with office supplies. And he balled up her sandwich. And tries to pick a fight with her about it, but who’s counting at this point. Zorn’s attention turns to the kitchen, where a worker from a different office takes the hot sauce out of the refrigerator. Zorn confronts the intruder, but he dismisses it with “Relax, dude, it’s just hot sauce,” followed by “Nice panties, dude.” Uh oh, now he’s done it! He just pissed off a morally bankrupt blood-drenched monster who kills entire families without a thought! Zorn is giving him a death glare! With the overdramatic music and everything! He’s going to march right over to that little upstart and pound him into HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. No, see, that would make sense, which is something that is not allowed to happen on this show. :man_facepalming: Linda interrupts his doing absolutely jack shit death glare with “Zorn! Copies!” Zorn agrees and continues glaring. :weary:

After a brisk bout of insubordination and blatant disrespect toward Linda…seriously, at this point he’s done everything but throw her through a window…he puts his sledgehammer-solution-to-thumbtack-problem into motion, rallying the entire office to recover their purloined condiment bottle. After a lot of hot air, he raises his sword and unleashes a blast of dramatic lightning, which promptly kills the power to the office. :woman_facepalming:

Zorn is forcing his considerable bulk through an air duct when he gets a call. It’s Edie, trying to discuss how to deal with Alan being bullied. Whole buncha still-not-used-to-the-culture non sequitur droning by Zorn which I’ll spare you because I have a feeling there’s going to be a lot more of this bullshit and I’m already sick to death of it. The call is cut short when Zorn spots his quarry, resting on the desk of the very invader who took it (for convenience’s sake, I’ll give his name now, Derek Whifford). His recon mission successful, Zorn delivers more blah blah blah before backing out of the duct, which causes his sword to stick way through the Vita offices ceiling and carve a big notch in it, WICSFAH.

At the school pool, where Alan is wearing a highly incongruous wetsuit. Warren sizes him up and does the usual. Alan, after some second thoughts, follows Craig’s advice and says “You are loved.” This actually flusters Warren for a moment, but he quickly recovers and slugs Alan in the face. Then the gym teacher comes out and, in response to one of his students being assaulted, spews out a bunch of deranged horseshit and does nothing, which, given that he’s a high school teacher, instantly makes him the most realistic character on the show. :grin:

Zorn and the IT guy (who’s named Jakton) are in the hallway just outside the Vita office. Jakton’s task is to keep a lookout and reset the Wifi if it goes down. Zorn will go in and grab the hot sauce. He enters in a cloak and leaning on a staff, wailing continuously and very loudly about being an old man, and in general he couldn’t stick out more if he pinned an “I’M HERE TO GRAB THE HOT SAUCE” sign on his chest. Thankfully all the Vita employees are even stupider than him, if you can even imagine, and the heist is successful, complete with pink smoke bomb and streaking. Derek: “Did everyone see that? No, I’m not gay. That guy was naked.” Too little, too late, twerp. :roll_eyes:

Evening at home, Alan wears a cap to cover his shiner, but Zorn easily flips it off with his sword. He’s determined to give his son what he needs to stand up to Warren. Woo hoo, training monta…and Edie almost immediately breaks it up. Edie and Craig see Alan’s black eye for the first time. Edie is shocked, but Craig calmly suggest the, ahem, perfect defense: turtle something-something, which involves lying on ones back and randomly flailing one’s limbs…which he demonstrates…and…good lord. :pleading_face: Edie suggests something more effective, a Zephyrian punch-countering technique with a really dumb name which I’m not going to repeat here. She demonstrates it on Alan, which puts him in a lot of pain and renders her unable to touch him again without killing him. Y’know, it never really stuck out for me before because it got constantly overshadowed by Zorn’s wholesale mega-fuckery, but Edie is a really crappy parent.

Next day at the office, Linda sees the hot sauce bottle mysteriously tethered to something. She nonchalantly retrieves it and nearly gets killed by a spring blade and a pendulum. Shot of a “PLEASE RESET BOOBY TRAP” and more yowly chanty music which is seriously pissing me off now.

Finally she can take no more and moves Zorn out to the hallway, admonishing him to end this ludicrous condiment vendetta. “This is your last chance, Zorn. I swear to god, I’ll face another discrimination suit if I have to. I beat it before, and I’ll beat it again.” Because once you bring on someone who ticks off the right boxes, you can never terminate him for any reason, because that’s exactly how diversity hiring works. :man_facepalming::rage: (Let me guess, if he puts her in intensive care, that’s strike two!) Jakton, in a cloak, shows up to give him the bad news: Derek is now going after other stuff.

Edie gives Alan a note that he’s allergic to chlorine to get him out of swimming.

Derek takes a sip of cranberry juice and spits it out when he finds it has blood in it. He bursts into the Sanitation Solutions office furiously demanding that Zorn show himself. He does. Derek grabs a coat rack! All right, they’re going to have a fight scene! :partying_face: Let’s…oh, no, no, wait, a fight scene would be cool, something which is definitely not allowed to happen on this show, so instead the Vita boss bursts in to break it up. The boss then orders Derek to apologize and walk away, which he does very grudgingly and insincerely, which has Zorn totally bummed because he is now honor-bound to spare his life, which I bet is news to the thousands and thousands of innocents he’s slaughtered over the years.

Locker room. The gym teacher is skeptical of Alan’s excuse note but decides not to risk it and tells him to just run a few laps. He changes out of his sweatpants, which is really bad timing because Warren chooses this moment to enter. Warren threatens to blow the secret of Alan’s weirdly-colored legs. Alan insults him, and Warren changes his mind and switches back to Plan A, beating him to a pulp. Alan, desperate, does Craig’s ridiculous flailing limbs defense, and all seems lost…when his foot contacts Warren’s belly and sends him flying into a towel rack! Alan just lies there, completely flabbergasted by what just happened, and Warren gets while the going’s good.

Zorn pleads for Linda to take his life, but that would mean no one would ever have to put up with his bullshit again so of course it can’t happen.

Alan returns home in triumph, Zorn praises his act of unbridled violence, Craig breaks at least three bones patting himself on the back, Zorn commemorates the glorious day with a self-aggrandizing lute song, Craig does a singalong, Zorn decides the song is now ruined and smashes the lute. (Just had to get one last shot in, didn’t he?)

Credits scene: Zorn rides his Death Hawk through the open sky in a happier time. An image of a flag appears in the background, red with a yellow circle in the middle and a black “Z” on top of it. (For future reference I’ll just call it the flag of Zephyria.)

Comments
Once I got over my horrified revulsion at seeing right wing propaganda in what I thought was going to be a goofy Who Framed Roger Rabbit-style comedy, I noticed another pretty serious problem…right wingers don’t know how to make jokes. They just don’t. All the bullying and belittling and punching down certainly doesn’t help. “Ha ha, Alan just got his ass kicked by his mother, what a loser!” But the real problem is that even when they do make an effort, it comes across as completely forced. Zorn in the air duct is just one example: “So no murder, no torture, see, that’s exactly why I could never figure out what to get you for our anniversary.” This happens over and over. It’s like the writers have one big bowl labelled “setups” and another labelled “punchlines”, and they just randomly pick one of each.

This is the point in the original Fox run where I flat-out gave up, and in hindsight, I’m surprised I lasted that long.

(Making little girls cry and reveling in it. Fucking hell.)

Rating
2/10. A bully getting his ass kicked elevates this above the season premiere, but there is still way too much steaming crap for me go higher.

I’ll try to be as comprehensive with my review. I don’t remember too much of it but I found it amusing.

A generally amusing series. Tim Meadows does his usual Tim Meadowsy thing in it and is entertaining, and I thought it was one of Cheryl Hines’ better performances (for what that’s worth). The blend of animation and live action is fun.

Worth a watch if you have the time, but not worth bemoaning the cancellation.

It was OK, given the premise though, could/should have been a lot more stupid.

Huh, wasn’t actually expecting these kind of measured responses. I approve. :grin: I guess I’ll have to be…kinder than I expected in my wrapup comments, though I was headed that direction anyway (you’ll see). Oh, Loach, I welcome your comprehensive reviews here when you have them (I really don’t think this show warrants an additional thread.)

Episode 4 - The Weekend Warrior

Original airdate: October 15, 2016

Youtube synopsis
Zorn is desperate to be the “cool dad,” when Alan stays at his apartment for the weekend, but things take a turn once Alan’s friend, Jeff, comes over.

Supporting cast
Scott (Tony Revolori), Jeff (Cameron Monaghan), Bill (Cedric Yarbrough), Shirley (Nyima Funk), Fitch (Nick Peine), Nadia (Tahlena Chikami), security guard (Jernard Burks), internet guy (Christopher Gehrman), teacher (Mike Nojun Park)
[I’m guessing that Fitch and Nadia are the two kids with Jeff; they’re not named in the episode.]

Episode
Zorn, Edie, and Craig are shopping for supplies for Alan’s sleepover. Zorn acts totally irresponsible, culminating in him wrecking a display and hurting himself; I trust details are not necessary at this point.

Zorn searches for safety advice on his computer. He pulls up something about abstinence, says that Alan’s got it nailed, laughs too much, realizes he went overboard, and promises to tell Alan he cares. Wow, this is like the first twinge of remorse he’s ever felt. Like, ever.

In the school’s lab, Zorn reminds Alan of the wild weekend they’re going to have. Scott says Zorn is lame, which Alan disagrees with. Someone sets fire to a calculator: it’s Jeff, a young punk just back from study hall. Alan and Scott disagree on how close Alan and Jeff actually are. Jeff walks over, and Alan goes over weekend plans with him in his typical stumbling manner. The teacher admonishes Jeff about sitting on the table, to which he responds “I don’t know, what did I tell you about bumping into me at the mall with your weird kid?” (Sheesh, even the badass talk is nonsequituriffic…) The teacher banishes him to the principal’s office. Jeff grumbles “Why you gotta ride my nuts?” which is sure to be the hot catchphrase for this specific episode.

In the office bathroom, Zorn searches his phone in vain for a response to his party announcement. Just then he’s distracted by “FOR A GOOD TIME CALL ERIC” on the wall. So of course he calls the number and asks this total stranger for a fun activity to do with his son. “Uggghh! No, no, I’m not going to do that with my son. Because LaserTag is dumb!” Hmm…you know what, while I don’t think it’s that good, that is easily the first joke on this show that’s not forced, gross, or a non sequitur. Good job. :+1:

Zorn casually tosses a coffee pot in the trash as he opens up to Todd about wanting a kickass weekend. Todd reveals that he’s also a divorced dad. One time he allowed his daughter to ride her bike without a helmet and she ended up in the ER; the mother hasn’t allowed him near her since.

Edie’s home. Edie tries to talk Craig out of spoiling his appetite, to no avail. Alan enters and announces that he’s headed to dad’s place for the weekend. Craig reminds him that he has a planetary science paper due Monday and that her rules are unchanged. Alan demands that she stop riding his nuts, drawing a predictably shocked response. Alan admits that he learned it from Jeff. Edie recalls that Jeff once pulled down the Greek counselor’s pants, which Alan finds hilarious, Craig, not so much. Alan grumbles on the way out. Edie and Craig try to reassure themselves about their weekend with the Pattersons, complete with Craig asking that Edie not ride Bill Patterson’s nuts. :roll_eyes: Damn, they are really milking it.

Zorn’s place. Alan is hyped up for an anarchic weekend. Zorn shows him around the still-meagerly furnished apartment, ending with the feature attraction…the refrigerator. Alan asks for a beer, which Zorn refuses. Undaunted, Alan points out the strange cartoon gun in front of the microwave oven. It’s a lava launcher, which Zorn demonstrates and explains is very dangerous, so he shouldn’t leave it lying around. Right before putting it back in front of the microwave. :roll_eyes: Final stop, the bedroom, where Zorn suggests various activities, ending with “…or even do your homework?” Alan catches on to the fact that mom got to him. Zorn admits it but nonetheless reassures him that they’re going to have fun.

Next: Paper football, giving Zorn yet another opportunity to break stuff. Alan gets a text from Jeff and excuses himself. Zorn hopes that mom’s rules aren’t ruining the weekend for Alan, who immediately conforms that they are, and he’s upset. Zorn looks…penitent? Okay, two things: Although still resentful for how Edie divorced him, he’s willing to make sacrifices to win her back, and he genuinely cares for his son (albeit in an incredibly moronic manner). You really see the difference with (I’m guessing) the new showrunner; Zorn’s status has gone from “the most despicable person in the universe” to "not the most despicable person in the universe”. Anyway, Zorn goes to Alan and offers to relax some of mom’s rules. Not underage drinking, but definitely some rules.

Edie’s home, where she and Craig are entertaining the Pattersons. The night culminates in an extremely tasteless prank where Edie appears to drop dead but it’s actually a temporary vital sign stopping thing. (Sheesh, they’re stealing ideas from Fist of the North Star now?) After Edie and Craig act like real jerks about it (goddammit) Edie starts reminiscing about some other stupid crap Zorn pushed her into. She suddenly gets the urge to warn Zorn about showing Alan the heart-stopping technique, reminding him that it’s already killed someone. (Seriously, it seems that we can’t go 15 minutes without learning about some innocent blood Zorn has on his hands; he’s a one-man Khmer Rouge.) And we learn about another of Craig’s ever-expanding list of bizarre obsessions, lip balm.

Zorn’s. Alan asks him if he can have some friends over, and Zorn agrees as long as they’re not “total wads”. He rings up his new phone buddy Eric and asks him how to balance Alan’s desires and Edie’s. Eric’s suggestion…comedy. :woman_shrugging:

Jeff and his crew (both of them…no, really, one boy and one girl) show up. The boy greets Alan with a hearty “Hummus SUCKS!” They’re soon met by Zorn acting the part of a party elf. He then gives his standard welcome, denying that he’s actually offering sexual favors and taking a cheap shot at Jeff. (The justification being that “he looked” or whatever. :angry:) Realizing that he left a bad first impression, he tries to smooth things over by playing Runaround on the CD player, an effort which is thwarted when it starts skipping. The four kids finally run out of patience and head for the door. Zorn reminds Alan that his curfew is in 20 minutes, but Alan reminds him that they weren’t going to follow mom’s rules. Zorn cluelessly sends him off.

Back at Edie’s. As their guests leave, Edie tries to contact Alan, with no success (which she lies about to Craig). Craig suggests taking the opportunity to have sex on the couch. A bunch of extremely awkward pillow talk later, Edie admits to trying to contact Alan. With the mood ruined, Craig reluctantly agrees to go with Edie to see that Alan is okay.

A now solitary Zorn tests out his recently-repaired lamp, which, against all odds, works again. He decides to celebrate with a late dinner consisting of half a frozen roast in a large pot. (He’s really into meat, if you haven’t noticed.) He then looks for the lava launcher to properly cook it, only to find that it’s gone! After leaving a message with Alan, he looks up a video about lava launcher accidents. After getting over his mirth at the “dumbass” (boy, talk about the pot calling the kettle black…), he calls Eric for advice. In a stunning twist, he apologizes for making it all about himself and gives Eric a chance to talk. He’s from Sanitation Solutions too. Go figure.

Alan, Jeff, and the other two hook up with some fellow no-accounts in a parking lot. Alan pulls out the lava launcher and suggests some target practice. Jeff isn’t satisfied with such a lame demonstration and tells him to blast some cars instead. Even a weak-willed poseur copycat has to draw the line somewhere, and Alan balks at the idea of wanton destruction. Jeff is insistent, and Alan finally caves and takes aim at the nearest vehicle…and…he can’t do it! An upset Jeff decides that he’ll take the shot himself. They wrestle over the gun, which fires a massive blast straight up and leaves a massive pool which melts a street light. The boy forcefully declares “Lava launchers SUCK!”, thus completing his quota for the series. :man_shrugging:

The massive glow draws a security guard, who immediately sends everyone besides Alan scurrying. Alan surrenders without a fight. The guard is about to call the cops, but just then Zorn shows up. He says that Alan is in big trouble and orders him to wait in the distance. Day-um…this has got to be the first time in this show, if not his entire misbegotten life, where his anger is actually justified! :astonished: “Luckily” the guard is as morally reprehensible as everyone else in Orange County and offers to look the other say for $500. But Zorn’s can only part with $338…and that’s not an offer, that’s literally all the cash he has right now. Unwilling to back down, the guard asks for the lava launcher instead, which Zorn agrees to. Zorn takes some pictures of the guard with his new toy.

Zorn finds Alan. “Thank god you’re safe.” He admits that not knowing if Alan was all right made him feel fear (or “ovarian cysts”, as he calls it…you had to be there) for the first time in his life. They agree on a suitable punishment, being sent to his room, which is probably the first thing they’ve ever agreed on.

Edie and Craig pull in, and Edie immediately berates Zorn for…allowing Alan to stay up past curfew and taking him out without a jacket. I believe the trope is called “jaywalking but not murder or arson” or whatever. Before Zorn can stammer out what would undoubtedly have been a totally unbelievable excuse (y’know, because he’s a horrible liar), Alan says that Zorn just took him out to stargaze for his planetary science paper. Edie believes it and forgives Zorn because she’s dumb. Zorn thumps his chest about being a better parent, which Edie lets go because she also has zero dignity. A massive arc of lava soars into the distance, which Zorn easily covers up with coughing because oh who the hell cares.

Credits scene: Zorn attempts to get down with Runaround a second time and runs into the same problem.

Comments
Well, someone at Fox must have gotten an earful about the first three episodes, because the production team really reined it in for this one. Zorn actually reminded me of classic Homer Simpson: stupid, pathetic, and completely full of himself, but has some sense of ethics and is genuinely trying to be a good father. Best of all, in following Edie’s rules (for a while, anyway), he’s finally wising up to the fact that he can’t just slash or bully his way through every problem. Best of all, there was no overt right wing non-humor for the first time.

Don’t get me wrong, this was still a pretty weak episode. Much of the dialogue was stilted (especially Craig’s), the fish-out-of-water moments were extremely forced (Zorn never figured out that you don’t throw away coffeepots?), the one-offs were flat and completely forgettable, and the payoff to the lava launcher was just lame. This episode was not good, but it was watchable, and…well, I’m grateful for that.

Rating
4/10. Better, but still a few nuts short of a ride, if you catch my drift.

That was my comprehensive review.

Episode 5 - A Taste of Zephyria

Original airdate: October 22, 2016

Youtube synopsis
After learning how Zephyria is depicted in the media, Zorn attempts to teach Alan about his culture. Meanwhile, Edie wages war with her new neighbors over their talking garden gnome.

Supporting cast
Layla (Clara Mamet), Scott (Tony Revolori), Frank (Nate Mooney), Eric (Brendan Hunt), Ron (Eugene Cordero), April (Maya Erskine), customer (Tim Kalpakis), Janet (Stacie Greenwell), animal pelts (Jess Harnell), Rom Rom (Dan Lippert)

Episode
Zorn at work doing what he usually does, not working (in this case, Minesweeper). He’s distracted by Todd’s laughing. After admonishing Todd that…wait for it…“Some of us are trying to work here!” (:roll_eyes:) Todd shows him the video he’s been watching, a scene from a sitcom. It stars Rom Rom, a Zephyrian waiter, played by an actor in a padded suit and purple wig. (FYI the actor, Dan Lippert, is also the body stand-in for Zorn during shooting.) A customer tells him that he ordered a chopped salad, whereupon Rom Rom draws his sword and goes to town on the offending dish. Linda stops by and gives the name of the show, I’ll Have What He’s Stabbing. The customer complains about the ruined salad; Rom Rom ignores him and continues his insane assault. Linda thinks it’s kind of funny, but Zorn finds it racist. Todd: “You’re the scariest, most violent person I’ve ever met, Zorn.” It ends with Rom Rom cutting the table in half, which Linda points out she saw Zorn do (in the first episode, no less). Uh oh…he’s giving the about-to-prove-all-of-his-critics-right glare!

Zorn suffers through another episode at home. (“Split the bill? No problem!”) He’s outraged at the racism. Frank, the landlord, blames the Mexicans, and I am so glad he got a second episode. :angry: Alan stops in and says he finds Rom Rom hilarious, which Zorn takes offense to. “Is that what you think of us? That we’re just raging warlord barbarians?” Wow, sounds like someone let him know exactly what they think of the constant mass murder that defined his life before moving to Orange County! (Yeah, see comments.) Zorn is so incensed that he insists that Alan wear a warrior belt, which, of course, will turn him to stone if he ever takes it off. (Nearly every Zephyrian item in existence having horrible side effects is going to be something of a theme for the rest of the series.)

Craig and Edie are powerwalking and talking about sandwiches when a loud…very loud_…cry fills the air, “There’s no place like gnome! Huh huh heh ha!” The source is a lawn gnome in front of the new neighbors’ home. Edie glances back at it as they enter their home.

After school. Alan is descending the steps with Layla, a school photographer, and they’re discussing the upcoming sophomore yearbook. Scott jumps into the frame just as Layla steps away to get “the money shot”, diversity students sitting around each other. This clearly pegs her as the show’s token liberal (now that Craig’s been relegated to a more generic bumbling wimpy weirdo role). Scott says that Layla is totally into Alan, which of course Alan strongly denies. Scott nonetheless insists on showing her Alan’s awesome Zephyrian belt, and in the ensuing struggle…how did I know something like this would happen…a dart emerges from it and fires directly into someone, who immediately collapses.

Night. The gnome continues shrieking nonstop, and it is so loud that Edie can’t sleep. Uh oh, she’s got the look, and there’s no reason to believe that she’s the same do-nothing blowhard Zorn is.

Morning, the gnome still howling away. Zorn chooses this moment to burst in, annoying Edie with his failure to knock (and citing sensitive knuckles, which is of course ludicrous, but not for the reason you’re thinking). He asks to borrow herpes cream…blecch…“for a friend”. Craig’s “friend” left some over, and boy, that’s some real high concept, huh? :skull: Edie grumbles about the gnome. Zorn suggest either smashing or divorcing it, but Craig nixes both; he’s just going to slip a sternly-worded letter under their door. Zorn reminds Edie that she used to solve problems with violence, but she claims that she doesn’t “get Zephyish” anymore. Edie is associating “Zephyish” with violence majorly ticks off Zorn. He’s been angry before, of course, but this time it seems that he’s taking genuine offense (stupid offense given his history, but still). Craig suggests that the best way to teach culture is through cuisine (hence the title :wink:). The discussion is interrupted when the gnome sounds off again.

Next day after school. Alan sets up a coffee meeting with Layla…which he never gets to as Zorn drags him off to a Zephyrian restaurant under the pretense that his mother got into an accident. Man, that is just slimy. In addition to a myriad of other unflattering adjectives that apply to him.

They head to Taste of Zephyria, “the most authentic Zephyrian experience in Orange County”, which is like something else that’s super-lame. Their waiter Eric comes by to take their order; he’s wearing a conspicuous purple wig. Alan points to a painting which is obviously a non-Zephyrian mural with wigs and costumes added on; Eric explains that the building used to be a Mexican church and they decided to keep it. Zorn is a bit nonplussed that nothing here has goat urine, and seriously, a TV-14 show shooting for the bratty schoolboy demographic? :angry: Several other servers in matching purple wigs bring out a birthday cake and sing a song. That’s the final (as in 2nd) straw, and Zorn drags out Alan in disgust.

Edie has some words with the neighbors, Ron and April Lee. They got Craig’s letter and…oh dear…“we appreciate the feedback”. That generally means “we’re not doing to do jack squat”, which they immediately confirm. Just then Zorn and Alan get dropped off at home, whereupon Zorn engages in his preferred method of anger management, random property damage. April asks if that’s Craig. Something clicks in Edie (who, I remind you, has shown very little in the way of ethics up to this point), and she says yes, y’know, so that they’ll be terrorized into removing the gnome, WICSFAH. It works like a charm, and Ron nervously agrees to take the gnome inside.

Work, breakroom. Todd asks that Zorn open a jar of pickles, which he refuses because he’d rather cut his own head off than help it’s racist. Zorn cocks his fist and advances toward Todd in a clearly threatening manner. Luckily he gets confused by his own rambling and contents himself with failing to open the pickle jar. :roll_eyes: He turns to a co-worker who just entered and requests that she uses her karate to open the pickle jar, and let’s slap “hypocritical” onto the ol’ list, shall we? :woman_facepalming:

After school, yearbook planning office. Layla is preparing a memoriam for Mr. Henderson, the unfortunate who got hit by the dart. (The doctors said he’ll pull through, but she’s covering all the bases.) Layla’s upset about him ditching her, and by her facial expression she’s not really buying the dragged-to-restaurant-under-false-pretenses explanation (ah, to be young and naïve again). He offers to make it up to her with a movie at his place.

That night, Edie calls Ron with a few more requests. Craig overhears the conversation, but Edie manages to convince him that she was talking about a dream Craig. Zorn bursts in, and Edie yells at him for not knocking. Zorn does so gingerly due to his sore knuckles (see, the fact that they are sensitive in this one specific episode is what makes it ludicrous). Zorn laments that Alan will never appreciate Zephyrian culture. Craig has another brilliant suggestion: “If you can’t bring Alan to Zephyria, why not bring Zephyria to Alan?”

Alan brings Layla home to see the one movie he has, Fletch Lives, and they see that the interior has been…completely redone. Cartoon accoutrements are everywhere, and a cartoon fire burns in the middle. The flag of Zephyria hangs from a wall, although the yellow circle and Z are bigger than in the third episode’s credits scene. After welcoming “Alangulon and Alangulon’s concubine” (:grimacing:), he gets to business.

A whole bunch of stupid disgusting crap ensues. (Child abuse! Funny! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:)

Twist! While admitting that some of the stuff was indeed from a nightmare, Layla appreciates that Alan’s dad put the whole production together. She gets in the car to leave, and of course this belt takes the opportunity to fire a grapple at the back of the car and force him to run for his life…needless to say, WICSFAH.

Edie is on the phone talking to Zorn. He’s now resigned to the fact that Alan will never appreciate Zephyrian culture. Edie’s thoughts are interrupted when she sees that the neighbor’s yard is crammed with gaudy noisemakers and the eardrum-piercing gnome is back with a vengeance. Back home, Edie learns that Craig corrected the neighbors’ misunderstanding.

Over to Alan’s bedroom, where his futile struggles to remove the belt provides a golden opportunity to joke about masturbation and child killing! :rage: Edie and Craig are surprisingly supportive of Zorn’s culture.

Work. Todd apologizes for his past behavior and admits that he knew exactly what he was saying. He offers to make it up to him by treating him to lunch, and they head to Taste of Zephyria. Alas, this engagement is also cut short when Edie texts him that Alan was in an accident…you see it coming, don’t you?

Home. Alan reveals that the “accident” was not appreciating Zephyrian culture. Zorn responds that he should’ve have forced it on his son. Alan does the dance of whatever, and all is forgiven. The final step is to free him of the belt, which is done via filling the bathtub with gravel and Alan dipping himself in it. Success. With his son free, Zorn takes the next logical step, plotting to steal Craig’s belt.

Edie gets a call from Ron, who appreciates her understanding and is willing to take down everything…except the gnome. “Honestly…I’m just glad we don’t live next to a Zephy. I mean…can you imagine what would happen to our property values?” Edie gets the look again, and this time there’s no turning back. She wields a cartoon hammer and, with one fateful swing, permanently ends the gnome’s reign of terror. And thus this episode ends with something good happening, which is something I was afraid would never happen. :+1:

Credits scene: Zorn dances the night away.

Comments
Anytime a series turns to the self-parody ploy when it’s just barely getting started, it’s a bad sign. Seriously, what is even the moral position or message right now? All right, so Rom Rom is (probably) an answer to all the criticism about excessive violence, y’know, to show us what a real violence-addicted character is like. But then it’s pretty obvious that Zorn isn’t the hero here (pfft, like he ever is…) and that he’s clearly shown to have gone overboard. So maybe it was saying that we shouldn’t be too quick to cry racism? Except that Alan is also shown to have overreacted, and he eventually ends up showing an appreciation for Zephyrian belts, so…gah. Personally, I find that a show that starts sniping back at its audience ends up losing its direction; I guess that the staff here realized that the show had no direction to begin with and thought it was worth a shot.

Also…and this has been nagging at me from almost the beginning…is there no law enforcement in Orange County? Like, at all? Because the Lees’ noise-polluting gnome and Edie’s final answer to it should’ve earned an unfriendly visit from the boys in blue. It looks like the writers just want to, per usual, have no consequences, with the implicit assumption that most people just aren’t interested in exploiting this state of total anarchy. This could be workable if it took place in Zephyria, but in the United States of America, where laws, legal systems, and cops with fast cars and very deadly weapons absolutely do exist, it just seems really off.

Rating
4/10. Good: Rom Rom was mindless goofy fun. Layla’s a pretty funny character and a perfectly suitable replacement for Nancy (who I guess didn’t work out for some reason). The non-gross parts of the ritual scene were visually impressive. Edie’s cheap deception was foiled and she got justice the right way. Zorn’s a pretty good dancer when he’s not trying way too hard. Bad: Everything that’s always been bad. With a stronger plot, this might have been a wash; as it is, call it a near-wash.

Episode 6 - A Tale of Two Zorns

Original airdate: November 5, 2016

Youtube synopsis
After watching Alan and Craig bond over their favorite video game, Zorn uses his body double dummy “Meka-Zorn” to sneak out of work and wait in line with Alan to buy the new game in the series. Meanwhile, Edie and Linda vent their frustrations with Zorn by beating up “Meka-Zorn.”

Supporting cast
Bridget (Beth Dover), Vicky (Deborah), Jared (Ify Nwadine), Chris (Ben Greene),

Episode
Alan walks into the living room and is horrified to see Zorn impaled on his own sword. Of course, the real Zorn pops up from behind the couch and mocks Alan in an incredibly assholish manner (seriously, why does this guy have to be such a monumental asshole about everything?). The fake turns out to be Meka-Zorn, a robotic decoy he once used for sneak attacks. It gives a jaunty “I am Zorn!”. Zorn insists that Alan try out its massage chair function. As Alan sits on it, it makes an offensive sound…the whoopie cushion function. :man_facepalming:

Linda is having a heated conversation with her ex-husband Jake about custody of their dog. As she hangs up, she sees Zorn about to leave early. She reminds him that he’s used up all his sick leave, and to his dismay, being tired isn’t an exception. (Having taken sick leave for fatigue many times, I’m not sure why anyone would think that it is.) Of course firing him is still off the table, so she instead saddles him with the Root Logistics proposal. Todd tries to jump in, but Linda’s hearing none of it and gives him the proposal as well. “Todd? You’re saddling me with Todd? He’s the Todd of our office!” (Uhhhh…on top of all the other so-called jokes here, “tautology as humor” really doesn’t do it for me.)

Alan plays the first person shooter Blood Soldiers with Craig. Craig plays video games to observe human behavior and shout “die die die die die”. (Multitasking! :wink:) Zorn scoffs at the game and tries to set up another fun weekend with his son, but it’s a no-go; that’s when Alan is going to wait in line with Craig to get an exclusive copy of the Blood Soldiers expansion. Zorn pleads to Edie to stop Craig’s nerdular influence; when she fails to respond, he takes more direct action by grabbing Craig’s controller and smashing it against a wall. Edie demands that Zorn stop the blatant disrespect, but Craig takes it in stride by offering to introduce Alan to the electronic repair community.

At work, Todd shows off a map of some kind to Zorn and promises that it’s going to save the company “hundreds”, but Zorn is too wrapped up in jealousy to care. Todd responds that he’s a good listener. Zorn, alas, has no use for this service, balling up the map and tossing it on the table.

At an outdoor café, Edie is grumbling about Zorn to two friends whom she definitely never mentioned before and I’ve definitely never seen before and it’s not clear what their relationship to her is and I have absolutely no freaking idea who they’re supposed to be. Anyway, she’s been constantly grumbling about Zorn since he returned from Zephyria and they’re tired about hearing about it.

Alan sees what appears to be Zorn fatally poisoned in the bathroom. Of course he just assumes it’s Meka-Zorn and rather annoyedly announces that he can’t get the video game because the big rollout is actually on Friday and he can’t skip school. Then he sees a second impaled Zorn, and long story short, first Zorn real poison fake gotcha asshole. :rage: In front of the TV, Alan’s bummed about missing a chance to hang around gamers, even though he denies being one himself (Ooh, the production staff heard about Kongregate! :grin:), but then he gets the brilliant-asterisk idea to have Craig write him a note excusing him from school. Zorn has a much more dependable idea: go to the school, personally excuse Alan, take him to the game store, and wait in line with him. I say “more dependable” because Zorn can do whatever he fricking wants with zero consequences, and I don’t say “better” for the same reason.

Of course there’s the little matter of Zorn getting out of the office with no leave, but fortunately Meka-Zorn is there to save the day. Zorn sneaks into the office with the robot (somehow), plants it in his chair, and leaves it to its own devices, confident that it will be every bit as competent and productive as him, ba-dum tish.

Next day, Zorn in line with Alan at the video game store. He’s really pumped up about being able to one-up Craig for once. Some drivel about quests and warriors and crap. Alan wants assurance that they’re one of the first 100 people so they’ll get the limited edition. Zorn summons his spy bird (thankfully much smaller and more docile than the Death Hawk), Clawthor The Taloned One, who informs him (somehow) that they’re 35th in line. Plus there’s a security guard or whatever. Alan chats up a customer in a yellow jacket in front of him and shows off his Blood Soldiers mask. He agrees to hold yellow jacket’s place in line while he orders lunch. Zorn exults in this, uh, victory, which is even better than the child murder I absolutely cannot hear enough of. :weary:

Todd is looking over his now heavily ruffled map. Meka-Zorn is there. Mmm…y’know what, I’ll just transcribe the whole conversation and you can decide for yourself.

Todd: I don’t want to be that guy, but do you think you could just try to help me out here?
Meka-Zorn: I am Zorn!
Todd: Yeah yeah, you’re Zorn, big and powerful. I’m just lowly Todd, why help me?
Meka-Zorn: Nobody can defeat the mighty Zorn!
Todd: I’m not trying to defeat you. I’m just trying to do my job and live my life. But between you, Linda, my ex-wife, and my-my overbearing father…sometimes I just wanna scream!
Meka-Zorn: See you in hell, Vulchazor!
Todd: Exactly! Tell ‘em all to go right to…I know what you’re doing. You want me to open up, and then you’re gonna make fun of me later. Well…
Meka-Zorn: I am sorry you feel that way. Tell me more! Nobody is planning a sneak attack!
Todd: I’m sorry…I guess you just remind me of my father. You know, it’s nice, you listening to me for a change. It’s kinda weird, but nice. Tell you what, How ‘bout I get more tacks, you get us some coffee, and when you come back, we’ll start fresh.
Meka-Zorn: I am Zorn!
Todd: I am Todd! And today, that’s starting to feel OK!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
SIDEBAR: THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN “IDIOT”, “STUPID IDIOT”, AND “STUPID FUCKING IDIOT”

An idiot thinks winning American Idol will make him a pop superstar. A stupid idiot read what happened to recent American Idol winners but thinks it’s going to be different for him somehow. A stupid fucking idiot is Todd.

Back home, Edie tries to deal with Zorn committing endless property damage without complaining about it, and also without doing anything about it. It’s a struggle.

At work, Linda notices something is off about Zorn when he continues pouring coffee into an already-overflowing cup. The machine gives its usual greeting but gets stuck on “Zo-zo-zo-zo-zo-zo…” Linda calls in Zorn’s emergency contact, Edie (who’s surprisingly understanding about Zorn calling Linda a man). They go to Meka-Zorn, still hopelessly stuck. Edie opens up a panel and punches some random buttons which seem to fix it: “This looks like a job for Zorn!” Linda express her usual disappointment at Zorn’s lousy work ethic. Edie tries to put the brakes on this discussion, but Linda says that she’s Zorn’s boss and she’ll grumble about him all she wants. (Oh, Edie’s job is party planner, which may or may not ever come up later.)

Zorn, Alan, yellow jacket, and another customer are playing some mobile device game. Zorn declares victory and celebrates by smashing his device, which makes even less sense than usual as his “win” consisted of destroying everyone on his own side.

Oh boy, trouble…Craig just showed up. He retrieves a tube of sunscreen from a suitcase and gives it to Alan, which he’s grateful for. He knows that Alan’s skipping school, but “I guess since we’re pretending to be soldiers, we can also pretend that you’re not skipping school.” Zorn’s mood just took a big turn for the worse.

Linda’s office, where Linda and Edie are boozing it up, in case you were worried that anyone on this show had any work ethic whatsoever. They have plenty of beef with their exes. Linda says that Edie can bitch about Zorn with her as much as she wants. Meka-Zorn takes the opportunity to dispense with “Are you lost, maiden? Zorn will protect you!” Linda punches it and promptly learns why boxers wear gloves. A co-worker tries to get her attention, to which she snaps “Yeah, I’m fine.” and closes the shades. :angry:

Back in line, Alan and Craig share a story of a past electronic conquest (“Killbasa, baby!”). Zorn counters that his wholesale slaughter of innocents was real. He really has it out for Craig, if you haven’t guessed. The argument gets heated, culminating in Zorn summoning CTTO and siccing him on Craig, refusing to call him off until Craig admits that his kills are fake. Craig is too terrified to do anything other than hastily shout his final requests. The line claps as Zorn leaves in a huff…“Clap away, you nerds!”…and gets a good laugh as he trips and falls flat on his back.

Zorn back at the office after hours, calling for Meka-Zorn so he can program a Craig-killing directive into it. He runs into Todd, who’s working late getting the proposal done. Lots of tedious misunderstanding.

Back home, where Edie and Linda have having a grand old time consuming even more alcohol and whaling the crap out of Meka-Zorn with various hard objects. Linda is feeling so good that she kisses the machine. Passionately. Edie protests, but Linda says he’s the best of both worlds, because it’s not fair for Zorn to hog all the non sequiturs. Just then Alan and Craig saunter in (without saying anything about the game); Craig is surprised that Edie had a guest over. As Edie explains the situation, Craig decides he’d like to take a whack at Meka-Zorn as well. His first blow triggers another “zo zo zo” stutter, so Edie does another reset…and something goes very wrong. “Bomb mode activated. Terminate enemies of Zorn.”

A frustrated Zorn, still unable to find his metallic doppelganger, snaps at Todd. Todd is tired of Zorn’s constant flipflopping between “perpetually obnoxious” and “banal but generally friendly” (refer to sidebar), and they get into a shouting match. It’s interrupted when Zorn gets a text from Alan and, after a couple misunderstandings, realizes that he has an emergency on his hands.

Back home, where all of the gang’s efforts to deactivate Meka-Zorn have been in vain. Just as Craig is about to turn to his last resort (evacuating to the front yard), Zorn shows up to save the day. His button sequence seems to work…“Exiting bomb mode”…which is followed immediately by “Entering kill mode.” Glowy knives shoot out of its arms as it says this.

All right, Zorn has his sword out. He’s a consummate killer. He’s bested this bucket ‘o bolts countless times. Now he has an opportunity to do the one thing he’s actually good at, thus totally one-upping Craig and winning back the admiration of his…and he blabs for too long, allowing Meka-Zorn to get the first strike, completely wrap him up in electrified rope, and swap out the knives for circular saws. :man_facepalming::woman_facepalming: Alan and Craig spring into action as Zorn dramatically filibusters away, Alan distracts the terror while Craig uncorks a bottle of wine and pours it into Meka-Zorn’s exposed back panel…and…it works! :astonished::partying_face:

Debriefing where everyone bickers over which one was the most irresponsible. :roll_eyes: They quickly decide the hell with it, it’s been a long day, let’s eat. Zorn summons CTTO to find the closest pizza place, who promptly slams into a window, which Craig approves of.

Credits scene: The defeated Meka-Zorn lies face down on the patio and blurts out garbled sentences. (This is the only time, ever, that I actually laughed at something in the show.)

Comments
Apparently the production crew saw something that finally convinced them that “The Violent Perpetually Angry Asswipe Show” wasn’t going to work (I think the word “ratings” factored prominently) and decided to tone it down. The problems were 1. It was established from day one that Zorn is the star and a total asswipe, so completely changing him wasn’t an option, and 2. writers got switched in an out so fast that there was no way to get everyone on board with a wholesale change even if they wanted to. I could see that someone was trying to right the ship. Edie and Linda beating Zorn in effigy! Craig being a better father figure than Zorn could ever be! Todd showing why he’s the better worker (i.e. because he occasionally does actual work)! And in the end, guess what? Zorn is not vindicated at all! Not only did he fail at the one task he should be able to have done with his eyes closed, Craig, that soft, nerdy, stuffy little wimp, completely one-upped him! So what’s the payoff? Nothing. They exchange words and go out for dinner. It’s so sad when a producer sees there’s a problem, genuinely tries to fix it, and just cannot commit 100%, and the effort falters. And of course that means the next writing staff (i.e. the next episode’s staff) is just going to toss the whole deal. :slightly_frowning_face:

Alan and Todd are still mysteries at this point, though I suppose that was inevitable.

Rating
4/10. It made me laugh…briefly, but there was laughter…and Zorn got taken down a peg even if no one cared to acknowledge it. If Zorn wasn’t always so vindictive and nasty and angry, I might’ve gone as high as 5. Tone matters!

Just want to observe that you’re putting a lot of effort into a show that thus far hasn’t had an episode with a rating higher than 4/10. But if it makes you happy, keep on trucking.

I already explained why I’m doing this. There are just certain things where, even if I know they suck, yelling “This sucks!” and walking away just isn’t satisfying. I know Sturgeon’s Law is a thing, but constantly turning up my nose and not engaging with anything is no way to go through life. Sometimes I just gotta dive in with two feet, really sift through and pick apart the whole great mess, and if I want to find out what seemingly everyone else saw that I didn’t, there’s no other way.

And believe me, I was not expecting to go even that high. :slightly_smiling_face:

Episode 7 - The Battle of Thanksgiving

Original airdate: November 12, 2016

Youtube synopsis
After a pep talk from Linda, Zorn crashes Edie’s Thanksgiving to prove to Edie’s mom how much he’s matured. It goes well at first, until Edie’s mom shares her views on Zephyria. Meanwhile, Alan butters up his grandmother, hoping she’ll pay for his expensive summer music camp.

Supporting cast
Roberta (Jenny O’Hara), Dr. Klorpins (Nick Offerman), documentary narrator (Sarah Koenig)

Episode
A wide outdoor path, the start of the “Turkey Trot”, a Thanksgiving tradition, with Edie and family in attendance. Edie admonishes Zorn “This is just for fun, so don’t do that thing where you run way too fast and create a vacuum behind you. Remember the breast cancer walk?” Alan refuses to put on a turkey hat despite Craig’s pleas. Zorn announces that he’s bringing a smorkleberry pie for Thanksgiving, using an unhelpful mnemonic (think Ned Flanders describing the difference between juice and cider) to tell the safe ones from the deadly. Edie reminds him that he’s not invited because her mother’s coming over and she hates him. Zorn tries to convince her that he’s a changed man, but then the horn announces the start of the run and he does exactly what Edie feared. :roll_eyes:

Post-trot, Alan is looking at a flyer for the San Jose Conservatory on an IPad (weird to see product placement on this show) and discussing it with Zorn. Alan wants to take its music program, to which Zorn is actually supportive, but it’s out of the picture because it costs ten grand. The discussion turns to Edie’s mom Roberta, who has plenty of animosity for Zorn for convincing Edie to drop out of college and follow him to Zephyria. Zorn tells Alan not to worry about not being invited to Thanksgiving dinner because he has “bi-hi-hi-hig plans”. Cut to Zorn alone in an empty office and doing nothing. :roll_eyes:

Zorn gets a bad itch and rings up Dr. Klorpins on his mobile device (apparently he has a whole crate of these and just goes through them one at a time). The good-asterisk doc says that his condition is easily treatable and proceeds to explain the completely impossible treatment, because every goddam thing about Zephyria is a waking nightmare and “easy” is just a random pair of syllables that have no fricking meaning, and holy crap I am getting seriously bad flashbacks to some video games I played in the distant past. :grimacing: Oh, this is the first instance we hear of Zorn having two penises and multiple scrotums, WICSFAH. (Plus he doesn’t call them “pebises”, which I guess was just a phase.) Just then he gets even more obsessed than usual with the breakroom, breaking in and scaring the daylights out of Linda, who foils his murderous impulses by bonking him on the head with a whipped cream can. Linda is also slumming in the office, albeit voluntarily.

Edie opens up to Craig about her mom’s hostility to Zorn. It’s pretty simple: she’s a hard-working single mother who hated that her smart, ambitious daughter ran off with a barbarian. Edie welcomes in Roberta, and the family gives her a warm greeting. Alan is a little flustered that Roberta’s going to be staying in his room, but he realizes that she’s the best chance for him realizing his dreams of the music program. He plays the guitar and sings a bit for her; his efforts can be best described as “passable”.

Linda and Zorn are gazing at ceiling stains. Linda could never enjoy Thanksgiving after having a pet turkey as a child. Zorn feels the same about Alangulon and the Spring Child Eating Festival…geez, ONCE would be bad enough, but the writers going to the child abuse well over and over and over is just nauseating. Edie is afraid Zorn’s going to hurt her mom. Linda: “When I first met you, you were violent and incompetent, and now…you’re…less those things. :laughing: Buoyed by this endorsement, Zorn decides that he should crash the Thanksgiving party and prove to Edie and Dorothy that he’s changed, then superfast running-vacuum-slams Linda into a wall, in case you were worried that he was actually going become less of a gigantic pile of crap. :angry:

Dorothy still doesn’t like Zorn, but she’s willing to tolerate him for Alan’s sake. Alan proudly announces that he’s put on grandma’s special sheets, but she still disapproves of his hard pillows…ooh, and her tone is such that we’re clearly supposed to consider her the Bad Guy. Craig officially starts the feast by bringing out the gravy boat and making an annoying sound effect.

Zorn shows up at the door with a pie. “Aw c’mon, we both knew I was coming,”; given Zorn’s general level of giving a crap about anyone else (i.e. none), I have to agree with him on that. As evidence that he’s changed, he cites his pie and…his turtleneck. Yeah. Craig steps out, and despite a typically rude reaction from Zorn, argues in favor of Zorn joining the party and damn, this man is a saint compared to most of the cast. He finishes with a weird cannibalism metaphor, and Edie very grudgingly lets him in. Alan is thrilled to see him. Zorn immediately addresses Roberta and offers to leave if he makes her uncomfortable. (Wow. He can really be reasonable if the writer doing that particular line for that particular episode thinks he should be. :slightly_smiling_face:) Roberta graciously allows him to stay…then awkwardly reasons that he can’t do any harm since the food’s already dead. Uh… :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Look, I know this is another Designated Bad Guy Line, but given Zorn’s history of wholesale slaughter and his completely blasé attitude toward it, is this really an unreasonable position to take with him? Zorn insists that he’s changed so much.

Feast on! As Zorn demonstrates a practical application of his wrist blades at the dinner table, Edie brings up a brief anecdote about the 25th anniversary of the San Jose Conservatory. Dorothy talks to Zorn about how he’s adjusted to life in Orange County. Dorothy asks when he’s going to start wearing pants; Zorn responds that his job doesn’t require it and in some cultures a furry panty (his words, not mine!) is consider a pant. “Sounds like you don’t know how to put ‘em on!” Zorn…who, I must point out, has been surprisingly civil up to this point…decides to contest this in the most practical way, by stealing Craig’s pants and putting them on. :man_facepalming: Craig, knowing exactly where this is going, takes one for the team and removes his pants. Of course, never having even seen one before, Zorn struggles with the putting-on procedure. Alan gives him a little advice, and that’s when the mask cracks and Zorn screams “I can do it myself!” Thanks, big guy, we were getting worried. :angry: Roberta mocks his plight, but before the situation escalates, Craig jumps right in and leads Zorn out of the room under the pretense of looking at craft sodas. Wow, got right in his face and did that! The man’s been on fire lately!

Craig tries to chill out Zorn…oh dear, get ready for another generous helping of Craig’s Moronic Advice That’s Only Going To Make Things Even Worse. Tee-em. Whenever she gives a Bad Guy Line, agree with her. Of course, theory only gets you so far; you gotta ROLEPLAY that mother! :roll_eyes: A blade an inch from Craig’s throat nixes that idea. Zorn agrees with Craig that agreeing is too hard, then agrees that he’s being confusing, which is as close as he’ll get it, I guess.

Alan is showcasing his guitar and singing skills to Dorothy, and, well, he’s better than the King of Town, at least. Craig and Zorn return, and Zorn uses Craig’s advice with some difficulty. Dorothy brings up an online documentary about Zephyria, which the gang takes a break from dinner to watch, The Mists of Brutality. It paints Vulchazor as a hero, which from the general tone and what’s obviously being parodied here I’m guessing is not true. Zorn takes exception to this propagandistic slant, and when he sees himself covered in blud and painted as a war criminal, he immediately snaps and throws his sword at the screen. Zorn denounces the documentary as a lie and Roberta as empty-headed for believing it. This of course just further convinces her that he’s an angry, violent barbarian…can’t really argue with that, to be honest. She cuts dinner short, and Edie’s patience has just about run out.

In the kitchen, Zorn continues ranting about being slandered, claiming that “The one time you can’t be a criminal is during war! That is a fact!” (Yeah, all the :grimacing:.) And of course Alan is on his case too for wrecking the TV and ruining any chance of the San Jose Conservatory. Zorn, while making it a point to admit no fault (geeeeezzz :angry:), offers to smooth things over with Roberta with a piece of smorkleberry pie.

He goes up to her bedroom and irritatedly offers her a slice of pie. Roberta is not at all in a forgiving mood, and…all right, nasty language; can you blame her after what just happened? She accepts the pie without a word. Zorn pulls the both sides card (:grimacing:) “You hate me, I hate you, but can’t we just pretend to get along for one meal?” Any chance of that is dashed after he opens the door and see Roberta dead on the ground. Oops! Turns out the smorkleberries he thought were not deadly are actually not not not NOT not-not deadly! (I knew he needed a better mnemonic! :grin:)

Several minutes of tiresome flailing and Dr. Klorpins bullcrap skipped because I’m freaking tired. BTW, they used the “Does a Grithian herdsman have nine anuses” line again; for those of you counting, that’s #2. :skull::skull:

Bringing Roberta back to life, as you’d imagine, does little to placate Edie, who’s now thoroughly convinced that letting Zorn back into her life was a mistake. Which of course is the cue for Zorn, who’s acted like a self-centered petulant brat up to this point, to have a complete change of heart and show himself out.

Alan takes another shot at schmoozing grandma for the summer music program. And…she agrees! She’ll do it! :astonished::partying_face: …on the condition that he never speaks to Zorn again. Edie sends out Alan and Craig. “Zorn is his father. Alan loves him. You can’t ask that of someone.” Dorothy calls Zorn a “poison” that she’s trying to save Edie from. Edie…well, the show isn’t titled “daughter of Dorothy”, so you can guess which side she’s going to choose. That’s the final insult for Dorothy, who leaves Edie’s life for the last time.

Zorn alone with the documentary, the family bringing food to him, peacemaking, final lessons, and Zorn firing of a long series of bleeps at Craig so the vibe doesn’t get too positive, as if there was ever any chance of that from about the first thirty seconds of the first episode. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Credits scene: Kitchen, the left side of the sink filled to overflowing with smorkleberries. A bored Zorn lethargically mashes berries in a bowl with a pestle.

Comments
All right, little Storytelling 101 here: Don’t make the Good Guy less sympathetic than the Bad Guy. See, that’s what really irked me about this episode. I knew they casted Roberta as the ignorant, close-minded, manipulative villain. I knew I was supposed to root for Zorn and sympathize with his struggle for acceptance. And it was impossible. Zorn was so whiny, self-aggrandizing, short-tempered, and prone to violence that I could not even attempt to get on his side or see things his way. And his attitude toward Craig has gone all the way past petty and immature to just plain tiresome. All right, you’re jealous, we freaking get it! Now either actually kill him like you’ve threatened to do like fifteen times by now or just accept the reality and move on!

Dr. Klorpins was just a total miss. “Oh, that’s easy, you just need some dragon flarhnblarg extract and the blood of a shribnubble blurgocrunchblench…” :expressionless: Weirdness for the sake of weirdness; that’s not funny or endearing, that’s just weird…the first couple of times, and then it becomes as drearily predictable as everything else.

Rating
3/10. Alan playing guitar and singing was cute. The visuals on the documentary were pretty cool, and we got to actually see Zorn’s archenemy. The rest was as dreary as an actual Thanksgiving dinner.

Episode 8 - Return of the Drinking Buddy

Original airdate: December 3, 2016

Youtube synopsis
Zorn’s old friend Headbutt Man (guest voice Rob Riggle) is coming to town. Unfortunately for Zorn, Headbutt Man is now sober. Meanwhile, Alan is invited to a party where his crush, Nancy (guest star Emily Wong), will be. Unfortunately, he has to take Headbutt Man’s daughter with him.
[Nancy is long gone and Alan most definitely no longer has a crush on her. This is the only synopsis with such a major error.]

Supporting cast
Layla (Clara Mamet), Headbutt Man (Rob Riggle/Ben Rodgers), Headbutt Girl (Jillian Bell/Ashley Padilla), Elizabeth (Alex Borstein), Shannon (Giorgia Whigham), Josh (Brian Huskey), Jeremy (Stanley Wong), Carol (Toy Lei)
[Dunno who the last two are, and I’m not going to watch this episode again to find out.]

Episode
(Shit, the Headbutt Girl episode. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_vomiting::fu:)

A home video of indeterminate age. Zorn, Skunk Man, and that helmeted woman from the first episode cheer on Headbutt Man as he breaks a large rock with his noggin. He looks drunkenly at the camera and declares that there’s nothing his head can’t smash. Zorn suggests a unicorn, which HM eagerly accepts.

In the office, Linda (who’s easily the most cheerful I have ever seen her) announces that the company just landed a big account and will be celebrating at Milligan’s. Zorn insists on bringing his eating establishment-wrecking, excessively drinking and headbutting buddy HM (Todd nervously shakes his head). Linda thinks it’s a terrible idea, so of course she okays it because she’s “Slayer Linda”. Zorn pulls up a video of HM ruining a domino display (we don’t get to see anything), and damn, I feel for Todd. :slightly_frowning_face:

In the school hallway, Alan asks Layla if she’s going to Shannon’s party. (Shannon, you’ll recall, was Nancy’s friend in episode 2 who tried to score cocaine from secondhand clothing.) Layla is “torn” because Shannon’s the worst and she hates parties. :confused: Alan tries to play the “freak” card, to questionable success.

Back home, Zorn is totally pumped that HM is arriving, which of course is the polar opposite of Edie and Craig, who are busy wrapping fragile items in bubble wrap. Zorn smashes a pile of plates by headbutting it, thus proving that 1. they need a lot more bubble wrap and 2. Zorn still destroys way too many fricking things. Zorn’s frustration mounts as they go over the evening’s plans. “This is exactly why I can’t wait for Headbutt Man to come here. This has been my life since I got to Orange County: Dinner parties! Bike rides! Avocado toast! Uh, ah, the dumb happy look on Craig’s face! The dumb pert look on Craig’s face!” (Wow, lately it seems like Craig is just trolling Zorn, not that he doesn’t manifestly deserve it.) Edie disapproves of HM because 1. his immaturity led to him separating from his wife and 2. he headbutted her. (Did you really expect them to make it this far without a violence against women reference? :rage:)

Alan practices his Layla lines in a mirror. He drops his pants, takes a look at his cel-shaded legs, and grumbles. Zorn disrespectfully calls him down to meet HM. Zorn greets HM with a hug and a playful sucker punch (which HM takes in good stride). HM sees Edie and mentions her old, less-responsible appearance. Craig enters in his bike helmet and cheerfully welcomes HM’s butt on his head, but on a show where so many things already come out wrong, I barely even noticed.

An unfamiliar woman enters. Zorn immediately acts incredibly sexist to her (just in case you were getting any foolish pretensions :angry:), but HM says she’s his girlfriend Elizabeth. Zorn and HM go back to reminiscing while Elizabeth tries to recognize Edie. Just then something startles Craig: A massive girl standing silently in the doorway with a fierce expression. This is Headbutt Girl (:fu:). She introduces herself with “My mom and brother are both dead,” and it’s telling that this is the least objectionable she will be in this episode. Alan joins the gathering, and Zorn proudly introduces his dual-penised offspring. Alan tries to dismiss himself to go to Shannon’s party, and HM insists that he take HG along, which Edie quickly endorses.

In the car. HG loudly demands that she call him by a completely made-up name. :grimacing: Alan tries to comply, but she only gets more irritated; it has to be the full name. I just got flashbacks to the whole “A Pimp Named Slickback” debacle on The Boondocks, and damn, as if this show isn’t giving me enough terrible memories as it is. Alan has second thoughts, but HG very loudly shouts him down…and…geez, usually it takes at least a whole minute for a character to piss off every last fiber in my body. :rage::fu:

As Edie discusses interior decorating with Elizabeth, Zorn assures HM that he only needs to put up with this for a few more minutes before they can head out for a real party. But for some reason, HM is hesitant. The discussion turns to goat cheese, whereupon Zorn decides he’s shown enough patience and says he and HM are busting this joint. HM declines, saying that…goat cheese might be fun? And he doesn’t want any wine? “Actually, Zorn, I don’t party anymore.” :astonished:

Edie, Craig, and Elizabeth continue engaging in small talk, which HM is delighted to join in on. Zorn, looking increasingly disgruntled by the second, finally jumps in with an old story about a boar HM slew. HM has a good laugh, but immediately adds the caveat that he shouldn’t dwell on the past. The friends have a toast. Zorn slams a bowl of crackers on the carpet and bellows “I’m outta here!” Did I mention that he basically has the maturity of a toddler? Because it’s showing all the time and it’s really gotten on my nerves. :angry:

Zorn glumly munches on live worms and continues watching his video, now at the moment of truth where HM is about to headbutt a unicorn. HM joins him outside and declines a worm due to mouth cancer. Zorn denounces Elizabeth, but HM stands firmly by his woman, explaining how she turned his life around. Zorn’s anger turns to regret, and he mentions how bored he was since he returned to his son’s home (which, I remind you, was 100% his decision and strongly against the wishes of both Edie and Craig, so the ceiling is still “hopelessly self-absorbed and irresponsible”, thank you very much). He wants one night, just one night of fun with his best pal. HM finally takes pity on him and says they can swing by the office party.

Shannon’s party, where HG announces she has teenage gout and get extremely weird about a suitably cool place to defecate. :grimacing::fu:

Milligan’s. Zorn introduces HM to his office, calling him by the affectionate nickname “Butt”. “If he does something you enjoy, the chant goes like this: Butt! Butt! Butt! Butt! And so on, to infinity.” HM sees Todd taking a swig from a bottle of beer…uh, oh, the POV is slowly zooming in on him, this is trou-ble. More shots of cheerful drinkers drinking. A vision of a weirdly welcoming unicorn. HM’s will breaks; he orders two beers. Zorn makes like he’s going to deter him, but of course it’s just a tease. Energetic chant as he downs the first beer.

As Craig, Edie, and Elizabeth are playing gin rummy, Edie can’t shake the feeling that she and Elizabeth have met before. Elizabeth mentions “Arrowhead”; after Craig comes up with an…exotic guess as to what that is, Edie recalls her 7th grade summer camp and identifies Elizabeth as Lizzie Jones. They were a love triangle with Josh Kirschenbaum spawned by what was probably a misunderstanding. Edie tries to put it behind her, but Craig…demands answers. :man_shrugging:

Shannon’s party, where Alan is chatting up Layla, who seems to be warming to the party. HG suddenly does that fill-the-screen-with-your-scary-face-for-one-second thing (Urusei Yatsura readers, of course, will recognize this as Cherry’s signature move) then inquires about meeting someone for sex. Alan doesn’t know where he is; HG decides to check the bathroom since he’s so obsessed with not creating biological hazards inside the house. :roll_eyes: Shannon stops by and invites Alan into the pool. Alan didn’t bring a suit, but Shannon tells him to “Just put one of your socks on it. That’s what my dad does.” Oh yeah, major WICSFAH here. :grimacing: Layla points out that Shannon’s outie looks like a baby finger, and whoa Nelly, a two fer? Alan declines the pool, and Layla goes it alone. HG, apparently taking a break from romantic pursuits, is sitting in a nearby chair. “All my closest friends have died in pools.” :weary: Gods…

Milligan’s, where Zorn and HM do a goofy song-and-dance number, which draws a round of cheers from the raucous crowd. They take a break at a nearby table. HM thanks Zorn for showing him a great time. Zorn wants to keep it going by blowing up the Venice canals (it’s a long story). HM is taken aback by the suggestion…and he finally opens up about the real reason he’s here. Dr. Klorpins informed him that he has brain damage, and that if headbutts even one more thing, it could be fatal. Linda stops by with fireball shots, which inspires HM to scream that he’s going to live forever. :roll_eyes:

Back at Edie’s. Craig calls Josh in hopes of settling Edie and Elizabeth’s old quarrel once and for all. He poses as an old buddy and, after explaining the reason for the call in detail, asks if Josh hooked up with Edie or Lizzie at Camp Arrowhead. Josh responds that he had about 11 girlfriends. Craig asks which of the two he liked more. It’s inconclusive, as Josh has something highly unflattering to say about both. Both of them take immediate exception and snap back, which of course causes the call to end extremely awkwardly. On the plus side, no more lingering jealousy. :+1: Just then Elizabeth gets a much more pressing issue, a picture of HM getting blackout drunk with the caption “I LRROV YOU7.”

At the bar, HM relates a story about child abuse. Todd asks if he’s the only one who finds it disturbing, to which someone answers “yes”, which pretty much says it all right there. :angry: Linda asks if he can smash a chair, to which HM responds with the Grithian anuses line, and if you’re counting (I can’t believe that I am), that’s #3. As much as Zorn loves a good party, the prospect of his best friend dying is just too much, and he tries to convince HM to call it a night. Linda isn’t having any of it. Zorn shouts “It’s too dangerous!” and throws a chair at a wall plaque, and…dang, it’s really weird seeing righteous anger out of him. He gets a call from Edie asking where he and HM are; Elizabeth is quite rightfully freaking out. She hears HM brazenly accepting a challenge to headbutt Linda’s truck. Zorn hurriedly tries to cover it up, to no avail. With no other option (other than, y’know, putting his foot down and bringing HM home, which is no option at all :roll_eyes:), he just cuts off Edie. He looks up to see that the bar is almost deserted. Todd: “I think I heard somebody say something about headbutting a truck. Who’s going to headbutt the truck, I have no idea.” Deal with Zorn long enough, and the casual sarcasm just comes naturally. :slightly_smiling_face:

Shannon’s party. Shannon reacts with disgust at the sight of HG eating Shannon’s deodorant, and I know this is the Designated Villain, but I just cannot see any other way she could have reacted. HG’s excuse is “I want my mouth to smell like your armpits”, which she actually thinks makes it better. Shannon demands to know who invited her here; HG points to Alan. (Just a friendly reminder that she coerced him into bringing her, which is not the same thing.) Alan attempts a softpedalling “well not really”, but Shannon doesn’t care. “This is a party, Alan. Not a zoo for freaks.” Laughter from the other guests. Uh oh. HG says she can’t forget that. We all know exactly where this is headed.

But there’s an unexpected twist…Alan starts defending her! No joke! After strong-arming him into bringing her and totally creeping him out at least once (more if he heard that cool BM lunacy), he’s going to stick up for a fellow cartoonie! Shannon points out HG’s facial hair, which is maybe the 15th most objectionable thing about her. (“Also my nipples are the opposite of small,” which I’m pegging somewhere around the mid 110s.) Alan tries to get her to stay quiet while he’s sticking up for her, to which she responds “Oh yeah, it’s all you, it’s all you.” Alan finishes with a flourish: “Everyone has something weird about them, but she knows who she is, and she doesn’t care! She owns it, and that’s pretty cool! It’s a lot cooler than I am!” Shannon blows it off to have sex with an unidentified party in her little sister’s room.

HG shows genuine gratitude at Alan having her back. Alan thanks her, but…oh goddesses, here it comes…makes the mistake of calling her “Headbutt Girl”…and she…:grimacing:…headbutts him. Very hard, very fast.

SIDEBAR: WAS THIS VIOLENT ASSAULT IN ANY WAY ACCEPTABLE OR FUNNY?

No. No it wasn’t. Fuck this shit. Fuck Headbutt Girl. :fu:

And of course she promptly moves the remaining .01% in the “creepy and weird but mostly harmless” box to the “biggest violent out of control pile of shit on the planet, and given Zorn’s record that is saying a lot” box by threatening Layla. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::fu: Layla goes over to see if Alan is all right, and Alan tries to parlay a potential concussion into Layla having to stay with him overnight and not getting offended at anything he says. (Hey, may as well salvage something from this train wreck of an evening.)

In the bar’s parking lot, where Zorn is pleading for HM not to do the crazy and almost certainly fatal stunt. HM brushes him off. Linda roars up in a truck much bigger than a white-collar office manager needs. Zorn, who looks completely desperate for the first time in his life, pleads for Linda to see reason. Linda refuses, strongly hinting that Zorn could lose his job if he tries to stop her…oh, and HM is going to diiiiiiiiieeee. “Linda, you shouldn’t even be driving right now!” Whoa, he’s showing concern for two people’s well-being? :astonished: That’s a breakthrough! HM takes his stance as Linda hits the gas. Zorn gives one final plea of “Stop!” before…

…Elizabeth rushes in and gets between HM and the truck! Linda squeals to a halt just in time. HM sees how the love of his life risked her life for him and immediately snaps back to his senses. As he collapses to the ground in shame, Elizabeth consoles him with names of canals. (Nope, still not going to bother.)

Back to the video, which shows the aftermath of HM headbutting a unicorn…the broken horn buried in his left eye. That’s right, he struck the most dangerous part of the unicorn with the most vulnerable part of his head, which makes it unbelievable that no one caught on to his brain damage sooner. HM suddenly remembers that’s how he lost his left eye, and Zorn adds “Guess I never watched this video all the way to the end,” which of course would’ve wised him up much sooner. Both agree that HM is better boring and alive then awesome and dead.

Alan steps out sporting a nasty bruise on his forehead, which of course he tries to cover for HG by claiming it was an accident. HG steps out, and if you substitute “her” for “faucet”, it’s clear that she totally had the hots for Alan before he called her by the wrong name, and now she hates him and is going to do some reckless things. (Yeah, all the :fu:.) Finally it’s time to leave. Zorn tosses HM’s keys to him…and obviously they hit him square in the noggin and kill him. Death funny. Allegedly. :angry:

Credits scene: HG sitting in a chair at the party eating deodorant that she definitely did not pay for.

Comments
There were two stories here. I’ll start with the unspeakable one. First off, may I point out how unbelievably sexist it is to have a big, menacing, repulsive girl strongarm Alan, act like a total weirdo, steal stuff, and, oh yeah, assault Alan and nearly do the same to Layla? And she headbutted Alan for the pettiest reason after he stuck up for her. I can hear the dogwhistles from the next house. Freaky girls! White knights! Feminists are ugly and want to beat up men! Chads/cucks/gold diggers/sperm buckets etc.! The whole plot absolutely reeked of MRA and right wing bullshit. But that’s not the worst of it…that would be her getting off scot free, which makes her even worse than Zorn. Zorn’s gotten away with a jaw-dropping amount of bullshit, but once in a blue moon he faces some tiny degree of justice. That’s never going to happen with Headbutt Girl, and that is maddening. And…I ask for what seems like the hijillionth time…what was even the point? How did this advance the overarching story of Zorn adjusting to life in Orange County or develop the character of Headbutt Man? What was funny about it? Entertaining? Endearing?

And of course we needed to have the utterly ham-handed “counterbalance” of Shannon being disrespectful to her, y’know, because BOTH SIDES! :face_vomiting::face_with_symbols_over_mouth: This reminds me of the basic ethos of early South Park, except instead of “All sides are equally bad, so don’t give a crap about anybody,” it’s “All sides are equally bad, so back the one with the big angry brutes who can beat people up.” In fact, practically the entire show has a very blatant undercurrent of “Wouldn’t be great if big angry brutes who can beat people up got to decide everything?” and this episode drove it home with a pile driver. Just a completely repulsive message.

Which is a shame, because the other story, about Headbutt Man giving in to temptation and Zorn trying to save him from himself, was actually pretty decent! Sure it suffered initially from Zorn’s usual assholishness, but he was really struggling with massive boredom and genuinely cared about his good friend. For the first time…well, ever, his struggles to fit into his new world were understandable, almost sympathetic, and there was an actual personality to him beyond “kill berate posture misinterpret chest-thump cause property damage”. Headbutt Man was a fun character; sure he was a beast, but in a happy rowdy party animal way, not a threaten everyone who looks at him wrong way, and in the end he realized that he needed Elizabeth. Elizabeth, what can I say? She rocked. Craig and Edie looked completely natural just chilling with friends and getting into low-level hijinks. As for Linda, let’s just say that I finally got a glimpse of the woman who actually likes having a wild man like Zorn around.

If only the whole episode had been about that story, those people, and had more time to develop, I would’ve actually understood what everyone said about the show improving and Zorn becoming an interesting character. It wouldn’t have arrived just yet, but this would’ve been a very big step in the right direction. And then Headbutt Girl had to exist. :rage::fu:

Rating
3/10. 1/10 for the stuff with Headbutt Girl, 5/10 for the stuff without Headbutt Girl.

Episode 9 - The War on Grafelnik

Original airdate: December 10, 2016

Youtube synopsis
Torn between Edie’s Christmas and Zorn’s Grafelnik – the Zephyrian holiday of revenge – Alan realizes he can play his parents off each other to get better presents.

Supporting cast
Scott (Tony Revolori)

Episode
Alan is helping Edie finish decorating a Christmas tree. Craig is going through a holiday album and turns to a picture of Edie and Alan standing in front of a Christmas display, the latter wearing a red nose. Edie informs him that for the past 17 years, they’d go to the mall every season and dress up as mom and son reindeer (something Alan is no longer thrilled about, as you might imagine).

Zorn punches through the front door and fumbles for the handle. He enters wearing purple sackcloth and crown and carrying a large bag. He takes on an harsh accent as he announces that he’s here to celebrate Grafelnik, the Zephyrian holiday of revenge. Craig asks what Grafelnik is. Basically it’s the plot of a movie Alan watched but I didn’t, so I’ll spare you. Zorn kicks things off by dropping his bag of “Grafelnik snowballs” onto a table, and of course it’s one with the easily breakable glass top, and holy crap, a door and a table in the same scene? Even Taz knew how to pace himself.

Zorn cheerfully threatens horrific revenge on Alan if he doesn’t celebrate Grafelnik. Y’know, cause revenge holiday. Alan is totally up for celebrating Christmas and Grafelnik together. Craig appreciates that Edie and Zorn can uphold their traditions without fighting. “Go team Zorn and Edie!” Zorn gives an exasperated response (which I’ll admit is an improvement over spewing out mystery bleeps or plotting to kill him). Edie pulls up a wine bottle with a Santa neck cover…to which Craig reacts very badly for some reason.

Alan in his bedroom pawing through his hair. A mysterious figure in a black motorcycle helmet and jacket appears in the mirror, who turns out to be Scott. The helmet is his Hanukah night five gift, and he’s getting a Vespa on the eighth. Alan, with a twinge of jealousy, says that his mom never gives him cool gifts. But Zorn’s back, and while he never explicitly said that he was going to be giving gifts, hope springs eternal.

At work, Zorn throws a very hard sucker punch at Todd, explains that it’s for Grafelnik…then gets furious and starts choking Todd when he returns the gesture. Just then Alan calls him up from a trash-strewn alley; he’s really confused because this was supposed to be where they were supposed to meet for the Grafelnik thing. Zorn laughs and mocks Alan for falling for it; this is revenge for him crying on all those plane rides as a baby. So basically Zorn is using his overpowering strength (and the apparent lack of any laws whatsoever in California) to enact disproportionate vengeance after he threw the first punch, and just played a cruel, pointless prank on his son due to his complete ignorance of basic biology, and WHO THE FUCK FINDS THIS SHIT FUNNY??? :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

In the kitchen, Craig sees a Santa doll on the table, and the “btoom” helpfully reminds us that this bothers him. He finally comes clean to Edie…he’s afraid of Santa Claus. It started when he was six, right after his parents separated (FLASHBACK! :grin:). Long story short, Craig’s dad came home in a Santa costume, saw Craig’s mom with his best friend Hank, and gave him a massive beating. In desperation, Craig put an end to it by knocking his dad out with a skateboard. It was so gory that Craig could never bear the sight of Santa again (and conveniently, this also explains why he’s so obsequious around Zorn). Edie admits that a lot of women would leave him over this (:roll_eyes:), but she’s going to help him conquer his fear. Her suggestion: surround himself with the source of the fear. Oh yeah, this is going to work out great.

Zorn is scoping out a restaurant with a silhouette of a hog near the entrance. This was where a waiter once serve Alan a normal burger instead of veggie burger, and you guessed, petty and stupid revenge and are you sure there are no laws in California time! Alan throws three big handfuls of ground beef at a window, and they both split before…before something, all right?

Back at Zorn’s apartment, Zorn moves on to the next phase of this supremely dubious holiday, making a list to Vengeful Vic. Alan suggests adding non-vengeance related items…say, presents! Zorn: “Yeah, well not in the old days. But now that they’ve made it all commercial and everything, gifts are actually exchanged as revenge against poor people who can’t afford gifts.” That works just fine for Alan, who strongly hints (and by that I mean all but carves it into Zorn’s forehead) that he wants a new phone. Just then he makes a potentially unpleasant discovery: Grafelnik is on December 25th this year, the same day as Christmas.

Zorn, showing as much empathy as he always does, suggest to Edie that they celebrate Grafelnik and ignore Christmas entirely. Edie, naturally, suggests the opposite. Zorn takes umbrage. “Look, I want to spend Grafelnik with my son! I mean, every year I have to spend it alone with my slaves, and believe me, paying people to pretend they love you is not as fun as it sounds!” (He could teach Montana Max a few things. :slightly_smiling_face:) Edie tries to work out a compromise, but Zorn isn’t budging on the mandatory five hours. Alan is miffed at being left out of the discussion, so both parents ask what he wants. Of course, he was totally unprepared for this and needs more time to think it over. Zorn calls it a win-win; either he gets to spend Grafelnik with Alan or he has a reason to get revenge on Edie. :weary:

Edie, sorting through Christmas memorabilia, is confident that Alan will choose Christmas. Zorn, carrying what looks like a pretty heavy box to work, is equally confident that Alan will appreciate Grafelnik more. And he has an ace in the hole: reminding Alan of the high suicide rate of fathers alone at the holidays. (Gah, I don’t even know what to call the book-length list anymore, but go ahead and add “emotional abuse” to it. :angry:) Also, something something skin cancer.

The next phase in curing Craig of his Santa fear is…holy cow…sex with Edie wearing a Santa cap! YES! LADIES AND GENTELMEN, THERE HAS BEEN SEX BETWEEN TWO PEOPLE! All right, they’re covered up…this is a Fox, not the Spice Channel…but who cares, actual copulation happened! :partying_face::fireworks:

Alan is in his room moping over his decision and miffed at the extremes his parents are going through to win him over. Craig sympathizes, as he’s also a child of divorce. He admits that he could’ve played his parents against each other to his own selfish ends. Alan suggests presents. Craig says that’s one example, but Alan’s a good kid and would never do something like that. All right, besides the fact that we’ve seen at most minimal evidence that Alan is a good…ah, screw it, this is Son of Zorn, you know as well as I do what the freak is about to happen.

Apartment. The Zephyrian flag hangs on a wall, right behind an enormous head bristling with weapons and streaked with blud. Zorn is hanging up a string of eyes, and Alan sifts through more gruesome decorations in a box. Alan casually drops that he’s thinking of choosing Edie, then lies about her getting him a 4K projector. Zorn has a gift suggestion: a gold necklace that may or may not make him taller, and I see he’s already forgotten the petrifying belt incident. (Funny, horrifying near-tragedy is one of the things you expect him to remember.)

Edie’s. Alan casually drops Zorn’s offer of magical jewelry. Edie is disgusted at how Zorn has turned Alan’s love into a competition, and responds the only way she can…giving him a blank check.

The mall, where Craig’s wellness journey continues. Craig is having second thoughts and considers converting to Judaism. Edie assures him that she’s here for him, just as Alan adds a food processor to his wish list and Edie has to shop for one. Craig turns to a random girl and regales her with his bitter tale, which was completely unnecessary for literally anything. :angry:

Alan is riding shotgun behind Scott on his Vespa. Scott cites his confusing theological situation and reveals that he has lesbian parents (which of course is going absolutely nowhere). Alan mirthfully describes the haul he’s getting from pitting his parents against each other. Scott suggests that the next item be a helmet with a visor, but Alan’s going to do him one better, a sidecar. Oh, and Scott knows who Gertrude Stein and Alice B Toklas are. (Note to self, look up those names so I at least get some educational benefit from this show.)

Zorn pulls through and gets Alan a snazzy bird-shaped cartoon hover-sidecar. “It just stays right there!” cries Alan as he pushes down on it. Edie sees it and concedes defeat, which Zorn is indignant/happy about. (“Hypocrisy”. Was that on the list? It should be.) He celebrates his triumph in the only appropriate way, by throwing a rock through the window of Edie’s car. (Sheesh, is he going for a record or something?)

Operation Santa No Fear is getting expensive: Craig just had to buy two bags of stuff so mall security wouldn’t think he’s a pedophile. Edie laments how she got caught up in a gift competition and now Alan’s spending Grafelnik with Zorn. She declines a scoop of tuna and goes upstairs to apologize to Alan. Of course, since this show has all the subtlety of a volcano, Alan choose this moment to loudly crow about his exploits over the phone. “Yeah, it’s as though I were a puppetmaster, and they were just two people I tricked into coming to my dumb puppet show.”

Edie goes over to Zorn’s to let him know that they’ve been had. Zorn refuses to believe it…Alan’s a good kid…but Edie says she heard him scheming on the phone, and, well, Edie can’t lie about that very specific subject for whatever reason. After Zorn does the usual pushing-the-ex’s-button thing, Edie suggests a response they both can agree to…REVENGE. Step 1, grab a hammer and start breaking stuff. :confused: Well, it’s something they’re both good at, anyway.

Alan is cruising with Scott in his hover-sidecar and having a blast. The sidecar fires two energy beams out of the gun in its beak, but fortunately they’re on open road so this doesn’t inflict even more gratuitous property damage. Scott stops by the roadside to give Alan a chance to try out the Bluetooth connection. Just as he gets it hooked up, Zorn’s frantic voice comes through: “Alangulon? I need you to come to my apartment right now! Oh, hey, am I on Bluetooth? That is so cool.”

Alan steps through the door of Zorn’s pad; it’s a total mess. The flag is torn, eye streamers are strewn over the floor, blud is smeared all over the wall, and the giant’s head has “GRAFELNIK SUX” written in blud on its forehead. Zorn says that his mom destroyed everything. Alan is skeptical as to why she’d do that (the question of HOW remains conveniently unaddressed). “Because of you, Alangulon. She’s jealous because I got you that sidecar you wanted.” Zorn’s mood grows progressively more heated, until he finally draws his sword and declares that he’ll have to destroy everything she stands for, very strongly hinting that he’s about to murder his son. :astonished: And then he clarifies that he means Santa’s Village. :man_facepalming:

Back at the mall. A desperate Alan, with his mom in tow, searches for Zorn to no avail. Edie is strangely unconcerned, only interested in supporting Craig (it has been a long couple of days for him) and saying that Zorn is all talk. Just then a horn blares in the distance. Zorn, standing atop a second floor guardrail (impressive balance!), bellows that he will reduce Santa’s Village to rubble in the name of Grafelnik. Then he leaps to the floor and gets to work (if he didn’t have the record after trashing his apartment, he sure as crap does now :clap:). Terrified customers flee screaming in all directions. I remind you all that the whole point of this exercise is to teach his son a lesson. Zorn fires a crossbow bolt into an inflatable Santa, which descends toward Craig. Edie shouts a warning, but Craig refuses to budge…he will conquer his fear!

Alan pleads at his dad to stop. “These mall cops are ex-cops!” And apparently also exist despite all evidence to the contrary! Edie’s finally had enough; she grabs a prop candy cane and brandishes it against her ex-husband. They shout their grievances and stare each other down before going on the attack. Hot dang, we’re going to have that sword-against-dubious-improvised-weapon duel we were cheated out of in The War of the Workplace! Weapons clash, and that plastic curvy stick is holding up surprisingly well. Edie even gets first, uh, discomfort against Zorn’s left shin (which he takes immediate exception to). And inevitably he goes completely off the rails. He loads his crossbow with a burning bolt and, some bloviating and ignoring Alan’s desperate plea for reason later, fires it into a Christmas tree.

As the cartoon fire rapidly spreads, Alan hurriedly admits that he played them against each other for presents. Now that the gig is up, they have a big laugh and reveal that it was all an elaborate revenge ploy. Alan points out the little matter of the terrified innocent bystanders, which Edie just casually blows off. :rage: (Dammit, I know she isn’t a good guy, but is rising above “unbelievably cringeworthy” too much to ask?) Craig extricates himself from the deflated Santa, declares his mission a failure, and beats feet to the exit, which definitely seems to be the smart move right now.

Home sweet home. Zorn has finally warmed up to Christmas and no longer has any problem celebrating it along with Grafelnik. Edie gets off the horn with mall management and gives the good news: Zorn and Edie get off completely scot free. Reason? The mall celebrates Grafelnik too, as it was originally built to get revenge against small businesses. :expressionless: Of course, there’s one last Grafelnik tradition needed to make the holiday complete…releasing a swarm of killer bees inside the house.

Credits scene: A zooming-in shot of a photo of the family together while pained screams ring throughout the room. A couple bees briefly stop by to look at the photo.

Comments
All right, you make the call. Is this episode’s message that the joyous time-honored celebration of Christmas is under attack by a conspiracy of evil godless “Happy Holidays”-spewing hatemongers? Or is it that Christmas is boring and lame and big angry brutes wrecking everything and terrorizing children would be a much better tradition? I honestly can’t tell. It’s almost as if the writers set out to make either a full throated endorsement or rebuking of the “War on Christmas”, but either they wimped out or the higher-ups shot it down, and so we get mostly another run of Zorn, Violent Asshole. Except this time he gets an entire building full of innocents involved. And assaults Todd, which is just what I needed after the escapades of Headbutt Girl. :rage:

I’d like to draw attention to the main reason mixing live action with animation was a really bad idea for something like this. The term “cartoon violence” normally means one cartoon character harming another cartoon character. The person/anthromorph/sentient being harmed is a being of ink and paint, which doesn’t carry the same impact as a flesh-and-blood person being harmed. That’s why there’s rarely been any real push against cartoon violence, and when it does happen it invariably goes nowhere. That’s why Tiny Toon Adventures, Animaniacs, and Freakazoid were able to mock cartoon censorship with impunity. That’s why the oldest and most prolific cartoon duo of all time is The Roadrunner and Wile E Coyote, which is literally nothing but Wile getting horribly abused. It’s fun! But when Zorn takes a cheap shot and chokes a man who is not indestructible, who can bleed, suffer, and die (all while acting like a total hypocritical asshole, of course), that just takes me out of it. I’ve never been squashed by a boulder or blown up by dynamite, but I have most definitely been threatened by violent thugs, and in an era where most adults barely even acknowledged the existence of bullying, abuse, and violence. In at least one instance it led to a violent assault sparked by a grossly disproportionate to something I did which he directly provoked (you weren’t there, you know nothing, don’t @ me), so you can imagine how what Zorn did to Todd hit way too close to home. Anyway, if you are going to have physical confrontations between real and cartoon characters, at the very least it has to be a level playing field, not the absolute Zornite domination on display here.

Besides that, there was too much stuff that simply didn’t go anywhere. Alan leaves a mess on a restaurant wall, the flashy sidecar gives a little light show, there’s a big head that doesn’t do anything, and so on. Even Craig’s doomed Santa quest seemed largely tacked on. The whole episode had a cobbled-together feel to it, which admittedly made it (slightly) less annoying than usual, but also mostly forgettable.

(Maybe we should just make “Forced Merriment Season” official and leave it at that. :woman_shrugging:)

Rating
3/10. Would’ve been 4/10 without the Todd abuse. Get that shit out of here. :rage:

Episode 10 - Radioactive Ex-Girlfriend

Original airdate: January 7, 2017

Youtube synopsis
With Craig and Edie’s engagement party around the corner, everyone is figuring out who to bring. Alan struggles to figure out his relationship status with Layla, while Zorn rekindles with his ex, Radiana (Olivia Wilde), who is literally radioactive. All the while, Craig has just received his certificate in relationship counseling and is helping others, but just can’t seem to help himself.

Supporting cast
Layla (Clara Mamet), Radiana (Olivia Wilde/Ashley Padilla), club guy (Terrell Owens), Hannah (Tiffany Daniels), Monica (Bella Popa)
[I’m guessing Hannah and Monica are party guests. They aren’t identified.]

Episode
Alan brings in the mail, which contains Zorn’s invitation to Craig and Edie’s engagement party. Zorn’s bummed that he wasn’t able to win Edie back, and worse, the invitation doesn’t mention a plus one. Alan expresses his now well-honed fear that Zorn’s going to overreact to this, but a, cough, more mature Zorn has a more pragmatic plan…completely ignore Edie’s wishes and get a plus one. Naturally he psyches himself up for this task by ripping his chin-up bar off of the door frame and hurting himself. :roll_eyes:

Edie uses dollhouse furniture to work out table settings. She idly mentions Layla, whom Alan is now spending a lot of time with. Zorn walks in and expresses outrage that Alan gets a plus one and he doesn’t; he has no intention of going to the party alone and getting the pity look all night. Edie gives in and says Zorn can have a plus one, but “Aside from me, have you ever even had a real relationship? That rankles Zorn further, and he cites Katara and Radiana, both of which Edie finds dubious as the former was a magical love doll and the latter was radioactive. Craig offers his services to Zorn and his imaginary future ladyfriend with a card saying “IT’S A BIRD, IT’S A PLANE, IT’S A LICENSED THERAPIST”. (Funny how Craig’s general level of effort always seems to match the writers’.) Zorn declines.

Zorn, Todd, and Linda head to a nightclub in a mutual quest for hookup material. As Zorn succinctly puts it, “My mission is to find a maiden who is stupid and ugly enough to have sex with me tonight…yet!..smart and beautiful enough to make me look good at Edie’s party. Stupid-smart-beautiful-ugly, those are the boxes to check.” Linda asks a couple of eligible bachelors which one wants to get pregnant tonight. (Oh, and if you were looking for Terrell Owens, he’s the guy on the left with the one line.) Zorn tries a Zephyrian pickup line on candidate #1, who reacts just as positively as you’d expect her not to.

Back home, Edie is intimidated by Craig’s 5th draft of his toast and wants to do something short and simple. Craig reminds her that she’s doing this for best friends and work acquaintances. Alan enters in playing a trumpet at a…reasonable level of skill, before announcing that he will be playing the…wait for it…glass harp for the party. :woman_facepalming: (A “glass harp” is multiple wine glasses filled to various heights with water, which the player rubs a finger across the rims to make sounds.) He admits that he’s doing this to impress Layla. Craig offers his therapy services, which Alan quickly rejects. As Alan leaves, Edie is upset that Craig allowed Alan to perform, as his music is awful. (Just no middle ground for anything these days, is there? :slightly_frowning_face:) Craig says he was just humoring Edie and is baffled as to why Alan doesn’t realize how bad he is. Edie explains that he sucked at everything as a kid so she always praised him, and now she’s afraid he’s going to embarrass himself at the party. Craig offers his card, which Edie declines.

A drunk, bitter Zorn returns to his pad in failure, wailing about how in Zephyria he could have any girl he wanted. With no other option, he sends out a call to his ex-girlfriend Radiana. (Jumpscare warning! :astonished:) With an explosion and a blast of green smoke, Radiana appears in the room. She’s tall, beautiful, buxom, and very obviously radioactive (there’s a radiation symbol on her belt in case anyone missed it). She’s very glad to see Zorn. :wink:

Zorn brings Radiana over to Edie’s so he can rub her in her face (not literally, thank the gods). Zorn manages to stop making out long enough to introduce her. It turns out that Radiana and Edie know each other…and not in a good way, as Radiana starts by insulting Edie about her age. (“Well, not everyone can have a thousand year half-life.”) Craig walks in, and Zorn introduces him as the future husband of his sloppy seconds. An offensive noise enters the room, which Edie identifies as Alan practicing his glass harp (easily the instrument he is the absolute worst at). Both Edie and Radiana pan it.

Edie takes Zorn aside, and they talk quietly about Radiana. Edie thinks she’s unstable. Zorn admits that she was, but says she’s changed now. Edie warns her about getting back into an unhealthy relationship. For some reason Zorn whispers something too quiet to hear…uh oh, that’s why. Radiana asks Zorn where the bathroom is…and then lays into him for “flirting” with Edie, then says something really confusing (trust me, you’re not missing anything). As Zorn tries to chill her out, she suddenly starts sobbing, green ooze leaking out of her eyes and nose (eww), and bawls over her jealousy issues. And then she’s romantic again. And then she’s horny again. So yeah, Radiana is, in fact, subject to violent, scary mood swings, which I’m pretty certain was indeed what Edie was getting at. :+1:

Moaning, earthquake, power goes out, the usual. The again-happy couple enters. Zorn announces what they very obviously just did…then ominously pukes up something bright green and glowing. “That’s just allergies.”

At work, where Zorn’s condition has taken a big turn for the worse; Zorn is hacking up a storm and glowy green globs are all over the floor. (Which is no surprise, as he’s always been allergic to work. AHHHH HA HA HA HA HA :rofl: oh give me a break, I need to have some mindless fun if I’m going to get through this damn season.) Linda finds Zorn spraying toxic goop into the refrigerator and says that he needs to go home. Zorn, now with conspicuous green marks on his face, talks proudly about Radiana. Linda asks if she’s really right for him, and, after yelling something at her which definitely should warrant disciplinary action, rambles on and on about Radiana. Linda manages to blurt out “toxic relationship” before Zorn expels more biohazard. :grimacing:

Edie walks in on Alan practicing on his glass harp, then poses a typically heavy-handed hypothetical about how to break the news to someone really bad at something. Alan, of course, totally misinterprets it and thinks she’s talking about Craig. :roll_eyes: His advice, tell him he’s way better at something else. Edie gets up to leave, then offhandedly says that Alan is very persuasive and should join the debate team. “Nope.” :man_facepalming: I swear, some of these jokes must have been made by the same software responsible for that hideous “AI art”.

Zorn enters his bathroom and notices an unfamiliar toothbrush that is glowing green. He steps out to see Radiana, completely uninvited, in his living room. Long story short, she’s decided to move back into his life. Permanently. Zorn thinks they’re moving a little too fast, and here comes the next mood swing. “Luckily” Zorn capitulates immediately and promises to make her a key tomorrow. Radiana shows her gratitude by removing her dress, exposing…a midriff full of nuclear fuel rods, one which he removes and licks. More making out, more what-happens-after.

In bed. Zorn scoffs at Edie’s concerns about Radiana. Just then some of his hair falls out. “Okay, this is probably not a coincidence.”

Party time! Craig goes over his toast one last time. “I need some butter, ‘cause this is a toast!” (I was half-expecting to use Stuart Scott’s “on a roll” line.) Radiana and Zorn enter; the former is as ravishing as ever, while Zorn is in extremely rough shape. His body is withered, there are glowy spots all over his body, at least half his hair has fallen out, he’s missing some teeth, and he’s so weak he can’t even walk without help. Linda goes over to him and concernedly notes that he looks like…uh, Dallas Buyer’s Club? Okay, that was a bit of a reach. Alan tells Edie he can’t find his glass harp, and she eagerly encourages him to let it go. Craig accuse her of hiding it, which she admits to, and both agree it’s for the best.

Alan stops by Zorn and says he looks “different”. Zorn, despite now sporting a cataract in his left eye, brushes it off, and Radiana says he looks “distinguished”. Zorn asks for help going using the bathroom, which he claims is nothing gross, but remember that his standards for gross are vastly lower than human standards for gross. In the bathroom Alan tries to get Zorn to realize that Radiana is making him sick. And he agrees (guess even he can’t ignore his own body) but he doesn’t want to break up with her. Alan has Layla, Craig has Edie, and Linda has…well, somebody, and he doesn’t want to be the only one alone. Man…for the first time ever in this series, Zorn is just pitiful. Alan says that he just got his father back and he doesn’t want to lose him.

Alan goes over to Radiana and says that dad wants to see her in the restroom…for “maybe sex”. (Yeah, he’s definitely not going to kick the hornet’s nest.) With her out of the way, he turns back to the pressing issue of how he’s going to perform, rejecting coffee mugs as a substitute. Layla evades the issue on the pretense of leaving to remove her sweater. In the bathroom, Zorn gives the dreaded line “We need to talk,” which instantly causes Radiana to…uh oh.

Edie, at the mike, talks about how she and Craig met. Craig goes up to give his toast. Layla stores her sweater in a closet and by chance discovers a trunk lying at the bottom with a distinct “Glarping is for lovers” sticker on it. She opens it and finds Alan’s glass harp. As Craig completes his toast, Edie is alarmed to see Layla return the trunk to Alan’s. Edie tells Craig to keep talking. Fortunately, Craig has just the thing…impressions. And by “impressions” I mean “One sentence, or in some instances just one word, maybe accompanied with a gesture.” Alan knows very well why mom set Craig up to this, but his exasperation is interrupted by Radiana, now on the verge of total meltdown. Someone throws fruit at Craig.

Outside the men’s room. Radiana wails incessantly at Zorn’s rejection. An increasing pool of green goop is seeping under the door while Edie, Linda, and Alan stand helplessly outside. But at that moment, guess who swoops in to save the day…Craig, Bird Plane Licensed Therapist extraordinaire! Edie tries to hold him back, but Craig says that this is what a hero has to do. Alan tells him he’s not that good at therapy, to which Craig fires back with a pot-calling-the-kettle-black about Alan’s glass harp skills. Wow, between Meka-Zorn and this, Craig can be a badass when he wants to! :astonished:

Inside, where the floor is almost completely covered with radioactive death and everything is glowing green. Craig gets to work. Zorn interrupts with “Craig, I take some solace in knowing that when I die, you’ll die a split second later knowing you failed.” (Geez… :angry:) Craig tells Radiana an anecdote about one of his own failed romances…no, wait, it’s actually his friend Andrew who committed suicide. “Oh my god, you are SO bad at this!” cries Zorn. (Zorn…I know Craig’s a longshot, but right now I’d say the old saying “any port in a storm” holds, not to mention “If you fricking have anything better, knock yourself out.” :angry:) Radiana asks why he even wants to be a therapist. Craig admits to being a complete failure up to this point, but he knows in his heart that therapy is his destiny. Radiana predictably ridicules him for clinging to a doomed dream that he’s never going to succeed at…

…but then, revelation! She realizes that she’s doing the exact same thing by clinging to Zorn! Having seen the light, she rejects Zorn for good and expounds briefly on her future plans, then, with a sudden blast of air, she vanishes forever. Most of the toxic goop is gone as well. Craig realizes that for the second time (Meka-Zorn, remember), he’s beaten the odds and proven himself a true hero. Elated, he throws open the door to Zorn’s stall, who flops facefirst on the floor, causing Craig to shout “Zorn’s dead!”, which qualifies as the funniest thing he’s said all night, which is still not all that funny.

Back at the party, a nearly skeletal Zorn is struggling just to remain upright in his chair while Alan offers him tea. Layla tells Edie that she’s leaving and regrets not being able to hear Alan play, but wishes Craig and Edie the best. Edie says that Craig was a hero tonight, and Layla agrees…that while his impressions were terrible, they were cute in a way. :woman_facepalming: Edie suddenly has a change of heart and insists that Layla stays to hear Alan’s performance.

Edie announces that the nuclear meltdown has been averted (drawing confused murmurs from the crowd) and calls up Alan onstage to play his glass harp. He starts performing; it’s…not good, but it could be worse. Edie opens up to Craig about why she loves him, which he suggests she put in a toast.

Zorn points out to Linda how lovey-dovey Craig and Edie are. She says “Screw em,” but Zorn…is genuinely happy for them? :astonished: Yes, yes he is! He reiterates how Craig and Alan have their soulmates and he doesn’t, but he has hope that he can find someone too. Linda…who’s the friendliest to Zorn that I’ve ever seen…reassures him that someday they’ll both find the right one. “Until then…let’s go bang those two waiters.” Zorn inquires as to whether they’re going the straight or gay route, to which she responds “Whatever.” Good lord, heterosexuality isn’t just assumed anymore? :astonished:

Credits scene: Craig does more unimpressive impressions.

Comments
You may have noticed there was a four week gap between the last episode and this. I wasn’t watching much primetime television at the time, but I’m almost certain that this was not standard practice. (Nowadays, of course, Fox splits all its scripted shows between Fall and Spring with a scheduled hiatus in between.) This is a pretty clear indication to me that the joyless, cynical, angry approach was not working. This, incidentally, also doomed The Muppets not long prior (which we covered in depth on this board, of course). And much like The Muppets, the producers did a complete midseason overhaul in hopes of salvaging their chances for a second season.

The result…whoa. This had a vastly different tone from even the last two episodes. Zorn, faced with a problem he couldn’t fix by stabbing it or throwing a rock at it, makes an incredibly unwise decision…and not only does he face the consequences of his actions, he almost pays WITH HIS LIFE! Furthermore, even though he clings to his bitter jealousy of Craig to the very end, ultimately he realizes that, just like Radiana, at some point he just has to let go of the past and be happy for him. Wow. That’s more maturity than he’s exhibited in the entire series up to this point.

In fact, in stark contrast to the extremely cynical tone of most of the episodes (The War on Grafelnik…brr) everyone turned out all right. Craig got to be a true hero and save Zorn’s life (…again! :grin:). Edie learned to allow Alan to grow up. Alan got to perform for three of the most important people in his life, and honestly, I’ve heard worse. Layla got to help out her boyfriend and see him perform. Radiana broke free of a doomed obsession and moved on with her life. Linda forged a true friendship with a man who used to be a complete albatross for her. And Craig and Edie are now officially a couple and there’s no turning back. Man, I just wrote all that and I can barely believe my eyes. This is a positive sea change, something I think didn’t even happened anymore in 2017.

Storywise, this wasn’t all that great. The jokes mostly felt flat (the trumpet fakeout was an eye-roller), the sex stuff was just trashy with no real eroticism, and overall the episode had the feel of a predictable sitcom. But for the first time, I can say that an episode of Son of Zorn was fairly decent. Be better if it didn’t take so damn long to get to this point, but whatever.

Rating
5/10. I didn’t dislike it. One step at a time, right? :slightly_smiling_face:

Episode 11 - The Battle of Self-Acceptance

Original airdate: January 21, 2017

Youtube synopsis
Craig is worried he’s not man enough for Edie and asks Zorn to help him become a warrior. Meanwhile, to get closer to Layla, Alan finds a way to change the thing about which he’s most insecure, but ends up going to extremes.

Supporting cast
Dr. Klorpins (Nick Offerman/Ben Rodgers), the CEO (John Marshall Jones), Reverend/Sir Pent (Gary Anthony Williams), waitress (Muriel Villera)

Episode
A panoramic shot of a breathtaking Zephyrian mountain vista. Cut to a mountaintop wedding reception. Edie and Zorn are at the altar; everyone except Edie, her two bridesmaids, and two guests are cartoon characters. The reverend introduces Zorn as…oh boy, here we go…“Defender of Zephyria, Conqueror of the Tribes of Agon, Decapitator of the Dark Herdsman of Grith”…and that’s it? Just those three things? Honestly thought it went on for pages. Just as he’s about to cement their union, the dastardly Sir Pent shows up and brandishes a gun at the happy couple. “You can’t marry…sss…a dead woman!” he rasps, and fires. Zorn, of course, simply deflects the beam with his sword, which completely melts Pent’s gun and most of his forearm. His horrified cry of “[beep]” (can’t believe they’re still doing this :woman_facepalming:) is cut off when Zorn splits the interloper apart in a shower of blud. And the crowd goes wild.

Pause. Edie and Craig are watching the wedding video on the couch. Edie explains that Pent was an ex. “We went on three dates, four of you count the initial kidnapping.” Craig is feeling pretty inferior, but at least he can identify a Dutch braid. No points for guessing what Zorn immediately does when Edie unpauses the video. :roll_eyes: Sinfest isn’t as anvillicious as this.

After school. Close-up on the cel-shaded flesh above Alan’s ankles. Layla stops by, lets Alan know she’s plant-sitting at her aunt’s house tomorrow, and invites him over. Alan eagerly accepts, but then Layla adds that it’s a beach house and he’ll need a swimsuit. Uh oh.

A small medical center inside a mini-mall, the workplace of Dr. Klorpins. Alan asks why Klorpins isn’t in Zephyria, and Zorn’s answer is basically that he’s a liar and career criminal. Zorn (who’s made a stunningly fast recovery from his ill-fated tryst with Radiana) is here for his usual dose of fish person oil, which he will extract in a completely disgusting and at the same time predictable manner. Alan catches a poster of a half-cartoon half-real man with a woman admiring the real half. It’s an ad for Zephyritol, a miracle drug which “targets the gross, ugly, animated parts of your body and turns them normal”. (This is the only time the word “animated” is ever used in the series.) Alan asks about it, and Klorpins confirms that it indeed works. After a brief drawer-of-old-dirty-needles accident (:roll_eyes:), he gives Alan a free sample. Zorn dashes in looking pretty gross and hyper, but Alan doesn’t even notice.

Craig and Edie in bed. They hear a knocking sound outside the window and, of course, assume that it’s a murderer. Craig’s plan is to tear open his pillow and throw a cloud of feathers at the intruder, which is foiled when he’s unable to do the first task. Edie texts Zorn to take care of the problem, much to Craig’s annoyance. Zorn reveals that it was a branch hitting the window, which he resolved with his typical wretched excess. Zorn mocks Craig’s wimpiness, to which Craig responds by failing to break the branch and pretending that it’s a broom.

At work, Zorn is inefficiently shredding documents with his sword. Todd suggests that he use the machine he normally uses to make smoothies for that purpose, to which Zorn calls him a know-it-all, and…”know-it-all"?? When did it become the 80’s again? Linda rushes in to intervene. It seems that the CEO, Blake Erickson, is visiting today, so there can be no rampant stupidity. Zorn asks why she’s afraid of anybody, and…something about a ditch and tennis, at least one of which will be important later. Zorn gets a call from someone asking for his help. He tries to blow it off to continue flailing at pressed wood pulp, but Linda overrides him and sends him off.

A café. The help seeker turns out to be Craig, who wants Zorn to train him to be a warrior. Zorn claims that Alangulon is warrior enough, but Craig, using the Meth Crazed Mugger Standard (don’t ask), disabuses him of this notion. Zorn vociferously agrees to train Craig in the ways of the warrior, starting with ordering something scary-sounding that the café doesn’t actually have. :woman_shrugging:

Alan’s bedroom. He takes the Zephyritol, and with a miraculous flash, he’s now fully human. And yes, only one genitalia thingamabob, although thankfully this is a network show so we’re spared visual confirmation.

Layla shows Alan through the beach house, full of all manner of potted plants. Alan spots aloe vera and eagerly applies it to his legs while talking about his legs. He claims to apply it to his human legs every morning, and Layla agrees that he really has amazing legs. Now he wants to tone his legs on a nearby stairclimber. (You’d think I’d find this banter tiresome, but after 10 episodes I’m just numb.)

Back home. Step one in Craig’s warrior training, looking the part. Craig emerges in a headband, sleeveless polo shirt, and khakis and wielding a Swiffer, which Zorn finds favor with for some bizarre reason. “You’re no longer Craig the therapist, you’re more like…Craig the psychotherapist!” :man_shrugging: Zorn shows him the proper no-sleeves pose, which Craig does with an oath of some kind.

Training montage where Craig gets knocked down a lot.

Afternoon at the beach where Alan and Layla are really hitting it off. In fact, Layla invites him back Saturday, and he quickly agrees. But the idyllic moment is suddenly shattered…Alan’s legs are changing back! :astonished: He wraps them in a towel and makes an excuse about trapping a spider before awkwardly dashing off. Layla watches his desperate exit in confusion. Wow this really is a lot like Spider-Man, isn’t it? :wink: An angry Alan stomps back home and rudely brushes off Edie’s queries as he goes straight to his room.

A tense session between Linda and Blake. Linda admits that there have been employee productivity issues and calls in Todd. Todd enters and says something about…tennis, which immediately catches Blake’s interest. Linda leaves the room to take a call. It turns out to be Edie, who’s worried about Alan, who just spent 40 minutes crying in the shower. Linda sees that Todd is very efficiently working Blake over. After hastily making an eyeroll-worthy explanation for the crying, she ends the call and heads right back in in an effort to halt Todd’s machinations. Her Hail Mary…“Todd calls his mother on company time!”…is less than successful.

Craig stands in front of a mirror and psychs himself up with a corny acronym. Zorn bursts in and, a heated exchange later, Craig stands up to him, which convinces Zorn that Craig has become a warrior in every way that he’s actually capable of.

Edie calls Zorn at work (Does she actually have a job?) and admits she doesn’t have a clue what’s up with Alan. Zorn takes it as an accusation of Alan being on drugs, which is of course ridiculous because Alan isn’t cool enough for anyone to offer him drugs. (Okay, that was a good one. :+1:)He cuts her off when he sees Linda moving into the cubicle next to him. Linda confirms the worst…she got demoted and Todd is the new manager. She was already on thin ice with Blake due to her incompetence; Todd, seeing a chance to make a power play, fired off his best tennis metaphors to seize the throne. Zorn tries to look on the bright side: now that she’s one of the guys, she can do the fun stuff like Linda jokes with him, and you really think he’d be up to “sorta oblivious” by now. :roll_eyes: Linda tells him that she’s not a guy at all. It takes a while for Zorn to connect the dots, but the realization finally hits him like a thunderbolt…Linda is a woman. :woman_facepalming:

Alan is in the medical center begging Dr. Klorpins for more Zephyritol. Naturally, Klorpins is West Zephyrian, which means that he’s exactly like a drug dealer and each new dose is going to cost $500, in case you thought someone on this show could be weird or unsettling without eventually turning out to be evil. :angry: (The issue of medical insurance never comes up, BTW.) He warns that without continuing the, ahem, habit, there will be serious withdrawal symptoms. The next morning, Alan sees what he means when he discovers that he has a cartoon nose.

As Edie is looking up unhelpful methods of disciplining Alan online, she notices that Craig is really tired. Craig grumbles that he can’t get any sleep because the air conditioner sounds like Alan being strangled. Alan greets them wearing a rubber pig snout, which he explains as protesting pig factories. He then casually asks for $500 to work on an art project, “Five hundred one dollar bills on a piece of construction paper to comment on commercialism and stuff”. Edie balks.

At work, Zorn is having a really hard time adjusting to a correctly-gendered Linda. Linda tries to convince him that nothing’s changed. She still wants to be his friend, and, more importantly, she needs his help to overthrow Todd. Zorn cracks that she overthrows like a girl, whereupon she throws her apple at Zorn’s head, which he ducks, which I suppose proves them both right.

In the dead of night, Alan slinks around his home in a black catburglar suit in search of stuff he can sell for cash. He spots Craig’s laptop computer and stuffs it in his backpack. Just then out of nowhere comes a cry of “Fullerton Online University!” and Craig throws Alan to the ground before kicking the daylights out of him. A startled Edie hears the commotion and turns the lights on, whereupon Craig proudly announces the fruits of his warrior training. Edie removes the intruder’s mask and sees…a full cartoon head, which luckily both of them recognize as Alan. “Oh my god, I literally kicked your ass back to Zephyria!”

A reckoning with Alan, whose facial cartoonification is back down to just his nose. Edie promises to discuss the matter fully when Zorn arrives. She then takes Craig aside and admonishes him for clobbering her son. When Craig tries to defend himself, Edie explains that she asks Zorn to do all the macho barbarian stuff because that’s what he’s good at and she wants Craig to be a sensitive brainiac. Craig insists that he has to be a complete husband. Zorn choose this moment to announce his arrival by blasting the front door off its hinges (Oh good, he remembered his mindless destruction quota! :roll_eyes:) and forcefully announces that he will solve Alan’s junkie problem.

How? Ransacking Alan’s room, of course! Alan says that he’s doing it for Layla. Edie…oh goddesses, I don’t even want to know which genius writer came up with this one…“Why would you care if Layla loves you? She’s not the woman who birthed you.” :astonished::grimacing: (Also, remember that line.) Zorn talks to him as a father. He discovered something shocking about Linda today too. But he realized that once you really care about something, that’s it; the feeling on the inside doesn’t change. Zorn, of course, has shown that he’s capable of very brief flashes of basic compassion…oh dear…but never in front of Craig before, who walks out. Zorn reflects on the tender moment…uh, how exactly does one fart silently? No, seriously, that’s a skill I’d find very useful.

Alan goes over to Layla’s to patch things up. Layla speculates that he was on a very specific drug that’s given to children. Alan finally goes clean and shows his cartoon legs to Layla, the first non-family member to see them since [checks] Warren from episode 3? Oh wow. They fully explain themselves, and in the end, Layla accepts Alan for who he is. Dawww. And they kiss. :+1:

Edie returns home from a shopping trip. Craig left a plate of muffins and a card…oh no. After last night, he’s now completely convinced that Edie wants to get together with Zorn, so he’s left. Edie goes looking for Zorn and finds him postcoital with Linda. She shows herself out.

Credits scene: The mountaintop wedding hall, now empty except for Sir Pent’s remains. A sweeper bot slowly hovers over to the carcass and, sure enough, turns it into an even bigger mess. :roll_eyes:

Comments
This. This episode. This is where Son of Zorn turned the corner, earned its big boy pants, got up the Warped Wall, and traded the participation trophy for a participated-like-a-BOSS trophy. I’m almost at a loss for words. I saw an actual story, not a soul-numbing cavalcade of half-thought out right wing talking points sprinkled with mindless violence and feeble gags. Between Alan’s struggle for a normal life and ultimately accepting who he is, Zorn coming to terms with his feelings for Linda, and Craig’s struggle with self-doubt, this was pretty damn compelling stuff. And while the characters were ultimately still losers, they were believable losers. Relatable losers. I could actually see why other people would put up with their annoying quirks as opposed to immediately calling 911. The jokes overall were noticeably better, and even though they were still sitcom-level, I could see some actual effort. I’ve been waiting so long for this ramshackle production team to get all this very basic stuff down, and they finally did. Dr. Klorpins fell flat (Why do they always have to dial everything up to 11 with the cameos?), but the rest of it was…okay! Not GREAT, mind you, but definitely okay!

Damn, I’m glad I got to see this! Thanks, YouTube! :grin::partying_face:

Rating
6/10. On the plus end at last! Apple carrot muffins for everybody!

Episode 12 - The Quest for Craig

Original airdate: February 11, 2017

Youtube synopsis
When Craig runs off to get some perspective on his relationship with Edie, a road trip ensues to bring him back. Meanwhile, Alan’s Zephyrian legs actually make him popular at school, but his desperation to fit in seriously puts off his lady.

Supporting cast
Robert (Isiah Whitlock Jr.), football coach (Pete Gardner), Diane (Tymberlee Hill), Marcus (Lars Slind), Fred (Bill Stevenson), cop (Eddie Diaz), Mr. Roller (Sky Elobar), student (Carlos Knight)
[I’m fairly certain Diane is the woman in Robert’s house. Your guess is as good as mine on Marcus, Fred, or Mr. Roller.]

Episode
Edie goes to Zorn’s apartment, where Linda is having another tryst with him. Edie is close to panic, having seen or heard nothing of Craig in the past two days. While calming her nerves with a glass of wine, she denies that she and Zorn are still an item. “If that were true, we’d still be married and I wouldn’t owe him ten chickens a month.” Zorn, surprisingly, is willing to put off sex to help Edie find Craig. “Of course, I’ve never taken my prey alive, but how different can it be, right?” Linda, eager to spend some time out of town, is in as well. All Zorn has to do is take off his “centaur sex suit”, the question of how it would facilitate sex as opposed to completely preventing it forever unresolved.

School. Alan hides behind a locker while Layla attempts to coax him out. She convinced him to wear short pants today and stop being ashamed of his Zephyrian lower body (he mistakenly thought it would get him more makeout time), and now he’s having serious second thoughts. Reluctantly Alan steps out, and…I never would’ve predicted this based on, oh, everything else that’s ever happened at this school, but not only do the other students recognize his legs as Zephyrian, they’re totally accepting of them! Hell, they love them! :astonished: A passing teacher says “Let your freak flag fly, Son of Zorn.” This… :face_with_raised_eyebrow: whatever.

On the road. Edie has just called everyone she knows who might know of Craig’s whereabouts without success. Zorn, after admiring how much calmer Edie is when she’s drunk, gets to work. He takes a sniff of a sweater Craig recently wore to get his scent. Zorn barks at Linda to turn right, which is inconvenient as she was in the left lane at the time. Edie idly mentions Skunk Man, and Zorn goes on a really long rambling digression all the while indignantly refusing to give Linda any directions until he is quite finished, whereupon he goes silent for a few seconds and says that Linda should’ve turned back there. :weary::woman_facepalming::skull: This is going to be a freaking long trip, isn’t it?

Craig’s younger brother Robert is allowing him to stay at his home until he gets back on his feet. Robert wants Craig to invest in his new business. When Craig asks how DJ classes that he paid for went, Robert responds that he passed but all the DJ jobs require work at night, and that’s when he goes clubbing. :man_facepalming: (For those of you playing, that’s the “smarmy irresponsible useless bloodsucker” box on the diversity card.) Robert’s girlfriend (I’m assuming) mentions that Edie’s been calling for him and wants to know what’s going on. Craig is resigned to Edie being happier with Zorn, to which Robert replies “Those two go together like peanut butter and steak,” which I guess means the writers hadn’t quite used up all their non sequiturs. :roll_eyes: And we learn that Robert has had previous, extremely poorly-thought out failed businesses. But now he’s hit on what he thinks is going to be a big winner: Rob Ross’ Artisinal Blackberry Moonshine, brewed in an old fish tank.

On the road. At a suspiciously late juncture in the journey, Zorn breaks out an old mixtape of Zephyrian songs made about him. The first is a country song. Linda, mesmerized by the cornball lyrics, runs through a stop sign where a traffic cop just happened to be watching. Take note: This is quite literally the only law enforcement we see IN THE ENTIRE SERIES. Linda is highly miffed that she’s being pulled over for a rolling stop, and given the entire freaking Mafia’s worth of crimes Zorn and company have completely gotten away with up to this point, I have to agree. No worries, though, as Zorn conveniently just happened to bring the Jewel of Mumbasca, which essentially makes the cop forget he ever saw them. A nonviolent solution? Zorn is capable of that?? :astonished: Edie reflects that the jewel has gotten them out of six speeding tickets and a ton of public nudity charges. And some stuff about bizarre phone aps.

The school backlot. A rowdy crowd is giving a forceful “Son of Zorn!” chant. Alan effortlessly punts a backpack hundreds of feet into the distance. He reassures Layla that it wasn’t his backpack; that happened five backpacks ago. A jock in a Fullerton High jacket suggests a larger object; Alan decides on a nearby dumpster. It goes up! It goes…onto a nearby parked car, completely wrecking it. As the students recoil in shock, the coach of the school’s football team bolts out and cries “My apartment! I mean…my car!” Poverty. Funny. :expressionless: He angrily calls “Son of Zorn” in his office. No, nobody at this school except Layla ever calls him by his actual name. Also funny. :expressionless:

Linda’s miffed at the length of Zorn’s mixtape (now on a country rock song), which, I should point out, is a tape and not a phone or thumbdrive or anything, so it should not be physically possible to last that long. Luckily it seems they’ve finally reached their destination; Zorn confirms that Craig’s at the house they’re at. Edie knocks on the door and loudly confesses her love for Craig…which turns out to be a mistake, as Zorn actually tracked down a sweater Craig used to own, now in the possession of a creepy weirdo in love with a fictional Edie that he, of course, mistakes Edie for. Zorn accuses him of murdering Craig, but he actually bought the sweater from a Goodwill that Craig donated it to. The trio retreats before any human blood has to be spilled, which I’m pretty sure is still not permitted.

Back to square one, Zorn is forced to desperate measures: switching his mind with a hawk and using its far sight to locate Craig. Very pretty shots of the hawk soaring through the air and a panorama of the California coast while a snippet from On The Wings of Love plays. Zorn loves the freedom of the open sky, but the unfortunate tradeoff is that the hawk’s mind is now in his body. It struggles awkwardly with its suddenly extremely large, heavy, featherless body, culminating in an awkward takeoff and faceplant.

Coach’s office, where he’s having a tense meeting with Alan. “I am one loss away from being the losingest coach in all of California state history.” (Not sure who gives a damn about that at the high school level, but whatevs.) As his kicker just got deported, he’s depending on Alan to save the day. Alan is stunningly candid in his response, saying that he looks like a walking bag of wet sand. Coach, undeterred, plays on Alan’s desire to be cool.

Back in the car, the sun starting to set. Zorn, now in the passenger’s seat for a reason that’ll soon be clear and at the same time incredibly stupid, gets the news that Alan made the team and reacts with pride. Edie, driving…foreshadowing! :roll_eyes:…assures him that she’ll be at the game on Friday. Zorn…almost concurs: “You bet your ass I’ll probably be there!” :face_with_raised_eyebrow:(:man_facepalming:) Alan ends the call to deal with a car jumper. Zorn and Edie compliment each other on their parenting skills before the subject switches to Linda. Zorn: “I mean, Linda’s beautiful and fun, and now she can sit in the back of a car without making a sound for what feels like an hour.” He almost immediately confirms that the incredibly forced payoff to this incredibly forced gag has arrived. :weary:

Robert’s house. As Craig signs a document, Robert congratulates him on becoming a millionaire in a few years, but right now he owes Robert $10,000. Also, he never agreed to “Ross Brothers Moonshine” because he is, as I noted earlier, a smarmy irresponsible useless bloodsucker. :rage: Robert leaves to cash Craig’s ten grand check. The girlfriend calls out Craig for walking out on his fiancee and enabling Robert’s doomed ventures. She relates an incident from college where Robert cruelly walked out on her during a formal. Bottom line, it’s nice to want to make other people happy, but you can’t sacrifice your own happiness to do it. Craig immediately sees the light and realizes that he never should’ve left the woman he loved. The girlfriend is happy to hear it…until Craig says “I’m coming, Edie!” and gets up to leave. The girlfriend is…flustered? She thought there was something between Craig and her. Craig retorts that he is done making other people happy and leaves her life for good. So this…uh…so this…uh…is really confusing, is what it is. :woman_shrugging:

Alan and Layla sitting at a table. Layla just learned that Alan’s now a kicker. Alan thanks her for pushing him to show his legs, and they kiss. The coach, flanked by a few players, delivers Alan’s jersey, proudly emblazoned with a number 1 and “SON OF ZORN”. The same jock from earlier invites him to get drunk and lock some nerds in the janitor’s closet. Alan thinks it’s awesome, but Layla reminds him that they were going to hang out after school. This draws a predictable immature response from the jocks. The coach goes “Oooh, maybe we need to give these two a second!” followed by what the YouTube annotation claims is a whip cracking sound. (In fairness, he immediately admits it was a jerk move and he only did it because he’s so lonely. :man_shrugging:) As the gridiron warriors leave, Layla stresses that she wants to spend time with him. Alan says that while he wants to, for the first time in his life he has The Guys. Layla has trouble accepting this new reality and leaves in a huff.

The end of a completely fruitless day for Zorn, Edie, and Linda. They pull into a motel (with what sounds like a J-pop song playing on the freakishly long mixtape) for the night. Linda sarcastically comments that she could’ve scored some crystal meth at the truck stop they left her at for three hours, and per usual, there’s way too much left to the imagination. Entering the room, they find that there’s only one bed for the three of them. Linda calls dibs on the bathtub, but of course it can’t be that simple, so there’s a lot of bickering and another uncomfortable glimpse into Zephyrian sex practices before Zorn leaves to hunt for a rollaway. Linda asks if Edie still has feelings for Zorn. Edie hesitates, which Linda takes as a sign that she does, which of course bums her out because she has feelings for Zorn. Linda makes her bitter exit. The next moment we learn that Zorn’s Great Rollaway Quest ended in failure when got distracted by a tray of room service leftovers. I’ll spare you what he ends up putting in his mouth. :face_vomiting:

Zorn is shocked that Linda suddenly walked out because obvious unfunny gag. Zorn is upset because he thinks Edie doesn’t want him to have anyone else. Something-something narcissist, Zorn gets angry, Edie walks out, “I’m pretty sure I’m right in this argument, and that does not happen a lot!”

Edie sulking on a bench. On The Wings of Love fires up again accompanied by a montage of Craig clips. Cut to a lonely Zorn and a few Linda clips. Zorn sings along. Edie returns to the room and apologizes, saying that Zorn and Linda are perfect together. Friendship hug.

And at that exact moment, who steps through the door but…Craig! “Get away from my fiancee.” Edie is elated to see him. Craig confirms that from now on he’s going to strike a balance between what Edie wants and what he wants. Zorn does his part by ending the triangle for good; he says that Edie’s too crazy for him to handle anymore and Craig’s doing him a favor by taking her off his hands. And a plug for an online service or something. Craig declares that he wants to be with Edie forever and he doesn’t care if it makes anyone unhappy. Edie’s wowed by his, uh, sure, let’s call it “selfishness”, and Craig and Edie are officially an item again. And a disturbing sight gag that technically should’ve happened hours earlier, but I’ll let it slide because I’m tired.

Game day! Alan’s big break! Edie, wearing a “MY SON WILL KICK YOUR BUTT” t-shirt with Alan’s face (a preview of what would soon become standard practice for various reality shows), waves over Linda. Zorn briefly considers public indecent exposure but thankfully settles for hashing out the road trip, which Linda took the worst of by a long shot, with her. He makes amends with two very large, intricate cartoon earrings. Linda, whose crassness and lack of self-respect should not come as a surprise to anyone at this point, accepts the gift and forgives Zorn. Edie reminds him that they’re the Cursed Crystals of Stupidly Long And Hard To Spell Word, but Zorn reminds her that SLAHTSW’s parents are dead, which convinces Edie that they’re harmless (which, as it turns out, they really are :man_shrugging:).

Moment of truth! Coach calls “Sunnazor!” in. Quick shot of the scoreboard showing 2 seconds left in the 4th quarter and Fullerton Hills High down 2-0 with the ball on the 36. Alan looks a bit confused. Shot of the stands which have like 40 fans in them and 4 cheerleaders and a mascot doing nothing (it’s been a rough season). The coach explains to Alan that he needs to kick a field goal to win the game. Wait, why does…oh no, Alan’s never actually practiced kicking field goals, has he? Craig and Edie shout encouragement while Zorn does an extremely off-rhythm chant, and given how much pop music he listens to, that’s just unforgivable. Forceful “Son of Zorn” chant. There’s the snap! And…Alan kicks it to the right sideline, blasting a teammate into the water table. As the victim cries in pain, Zorn congratulates his son for maiming that poor kid. He quickly adds the caveat that he doesn’t understand the rules of this game, and the greater surprise, of course, is that he cares in the first place.

A despondent Alan meets up with his family and confirms that he lost the game, his jock buddies, and Layla. Much awkward dialogue ensues.

Credits scene: Outside the creepy weirdo’s house. Linda, Edie, and Zorn chill in the car while a sappy country song plays.

Comments
Continuing the positive trend from the last episode, this one didn’t try to force everything and just told a funny, goofy story. It was a lot to fit into 21 minutes, and I did find it a little rushed. It would’ve been better if the whole ham-handed subplot with Robert and whoever that woman was got excised entirely and Craig came to his think-about-himself-too resolution on his own so we could spend more time with the main stories. Also, the bickering between the trio at the motel really didn’t make any sense to me and seemed thrown in only to provide an excuse for Craig to swoop in and save the day. But these are minor quibbles for an episode that looked pretty nice and, even if I couldn’t quite muster a laugh, I could imagine quite a few people finding absolutely hilarious. :slightly_smiling_face:

Also, tolerance good, understanding that tolerance is good definitely good. Just thought I’d remind everyone of that.

Rating
6/10. It was a long, confusing journey to wellness, that’s for certain.