SDMB Fantasy Football DYNASTY League: Year 13

I don’t know. On the one hand, I go into every draft optimistic that this one will be no problem. On the other hand, it seems like I inevitably find myself posting things like “It’s been 31 hours since the last pick…”

A hard 12-hour rule is unworkable, I think. If someone has to work early the next morning they might reasonably go to sleep early. Then lets say 4 picks come in from from 11pm to midnight and now that person is the clock. They wake up early and quickly rush off to early work and now at lunchtime they’re already late and subject to skipping? Seems wrong on its face to me.

Spitballing here, maybe something like an 11pm Eastern skip time, where if it’s been 12 or more hours on the clock and it’s now 11pm, then the next person could jump in? I don’t know if that’s any better. Maybe just mornings don’t count for time? Say midnight to noon doesn’t count toward the 12-hour skip time?

I just don’t want to see picks taking longer than 24 hours.

Tentative cuts:

Darwin Thompson RB - KC
Dez Bryant WR - FA
OJ Howard TE - TB
Phillip Dorsett WR - Jac
Miles Boykin WR - Bal

Travis Etienne gets hurt tonight, everyone’s draft chart will be changing.

And I was finally going to be able to cut Carlos Hyde. Ah well

Revised tentative drops: AP, Burkhead, Jimmy G, Tim Patrick, Houston D. I had two IR players in last year’s injury-racked season, so this should give me three picks.

ETA: Ellis, I’ve got lots of depth RBs who are available in trade…

Ladies and Gentlemen, your Moridwons:

Patrick Mahomes
Joe Burrow

Austin Ekeler
Chris Carson
Devin Singletary
Reshaad Penny
David Johnson
Marlon Mack
Boston Scott

Keenan Allen
Michael Thomas
Brandon Aiyuk
JuJu Smith Schuster
Tyler Boyd
Michael Gallup
Mike Williams
Gabriel Davis

Darren Waller
Irv Smith
Mike Gesicki

Justin Tucker

Bucs
Bills

Cutting:

Vikings D
Jerick McKinnon
Bryce Love

That gives me two draft picks.

Lisfranc injury and out for the year. Regardless of how any surgery rehab may go he is out for the year due to being placed on IR before making the roster.

I wonder what that makes his draft value this year.

No Use For A Name Roster:
QBs
Brady
Kirk Cousins
Tua Tagovailoa

RBs
Zeke Elliot
Dalvin Cook
Melvin Gordon
Latvious Murray
Benny Snell Jr
Jeff Wilson Jr

WRs
Courtland Sutton
Cee Dee Lamb
AJ Green
Will Fuller IV
Curtis Samuel
Russell Gage Jr
Allan Lazard
Tre’quan Smith

TE:
Eric Ebron
Robert Tonyan

K
Blankenship

DEF
San Francisco
Green Bay

Should give me 3 picks.

Not the best injury to hope for as a RB, especially as a shifty speedster. However, it seems we value RBs at a premium, so probably not as much as you might think.

He’s not off my draft board, that’s for sure

Oh yeah he’s certainly draftable, but as the guy holding the fourth overall pick…

Let’s just say he definitely wasn’t going to be there at 4, but now he might be, but probably isn’t worth it that high? I honestly don’t know.

He was probably going to be there at #4 even before the injury. I think Harris-Chase-Pitts are clearly the top 3 prospects in this draft.

Oh really? I was kind of hoping Pitts would fall to me. I was actually kind of expecting it to be honest.

I would have been bummed about missing out on Pitts but would have happily picked up Etienne. Now? Maybe I still should. I could rename myself the next year’s warriors, with both Akers and Etienne out for season.

If you want to compete this year you’ll probably end up taking Javonte Williams. I think the top 4 picks will be Harris/Pitts/Chase/Williams in some order, probably that order.

I’m not 100% sure I’m drafting pitts but I’m leaning that way. I’m also not worried about tipping my hand - worst thing that can happen is that someone trades up to #1 to get him and then I end up with Harris, which is just fine.

Huh. My top 5 prospects in order were Harris, Pitts, Etienne, Williams, Chase, and I was agonizing over whether I’d choose Williams (probably the better play but I don’t love him) or Chase, who I really don’t like but can’t say why.

I thought he was short but he’s 6’1", but even looking that up now I still don’t find myself liking him very much.

EDIT: I think taking Tavon Austin first overall ruined WRs for me in this league just in general, at least for top 5 picks. I don’t think I’ve ever made a non-RB top 5 pick who ever ended up being productive. And, sadly, I’ve had a lot of top 5 picks.

Now that I’ve said that I’m curious, so looking back at all my first round picks in this league:

2020 1.04 Cam Akers, RB, LAR
2019 1.12 traded back to 2.05: Daniel Jones, QB, NYG
2018 1.05 Baker Mayfield, QB, Cle
2017 1.04 Christian McCaffrey, RB, Car
2016 1.03 Kenneth Dixon, RB, Bal
2015 1.09 Marcus Mariota, QB, Ten
2014 1.02 Carlos Hyde, RB, SF
2013 1.01 Tavon Austin, WR, STL
2012 1.04 David Wilson, RB, NYG
2011 1.11 Plaxico Burress, WR, NYJ
2010 1.02 Jahvid Best, RB, Det
2009 1.08 Brian Westbrook, RB, Phi

Yikes, that’s a decade of suck. I see a lot of quarterback desperation in this list. And my running back success isn’t particularly good. Ouch.

Sadly, many or most of the old thread links don’t work. Depending on my motivation, I may post a table of contents to link to for future threads.

I found it interesting to reread the rules discussion thread. Kickers were always just barely in the league. I’m also intrigued by the various contract systems proposed, though I’m glad we ultimately didn’t go with any of them. (We can keep players forever.)

EDIT: I also found it fascinating that not only did we do a live draft in the first year (obviously and of course), we also did a live draft in the second year, instead of doing a thread draft. Weird.

EDIT 2: Oh s***, I see a pattern in my draft position. Apparently, my next winning season will be 2022, giving me my next poor draft pick in 2023. I’m like the Giants, who can only seem to win super bowls 4 years apart.

Updated links to work with discourse. I put this in a table for phones.

|Year|Thread|
|:–|:–|:–|
|2009|SDMB Dynasty Fantasy Football League (recruiting)|
|2009|SDMB Dynasty League: Year One|
|2010|SDMB FF Dynasty League: Year Two|
|2011|SDMB FF Dynasty League: Year Three|
|2012|SDMB FF Dynasty League: Year Four|
|2013|SDMB FF Dynasty League: Year Five|
|2014|SDMB FF Dynasty League: Year Six|
|2015|SDMB Fantasy Football DYNASTY League: Year Seven|
|2016|SDMB Fantasy Football DYNASTY League: Year Eight
|2017| SDMB Fantasy Football DYNASTY League: Year Nine|
|2018|SDMB Fantasy Football DYNASTY league: Year Ten|
|2019|SDMB Fantasy Football DYNASTY League: Year 11|
|2020|SDMB Fantasy Football DYNASTY League: Year 12|
|2021|SDMB Fantasy Football DYNASTY League: Year 13|

Click a year to go directly to draft results, title for the thread proper. For draft results, you may have to scroll down to get the last few picks.

I was looking back at old threads last night too and I found this trade during the 2010 season between me and Beef:

Gusterrhoids gets
Eddie Royal

Exploding Pancakes gets
Kyle Orton
Tony Gonzalez

My god, people were LIVID about how lopsided and unfair it was. The discussion went on for 30 posts and there was even talk of vetoing the trade.

But it’s funny, it actually ended up being pretty balanced. Gonzalez ended up playing three more seasons and posted an average 888 and 8 over that span.

Eddie Royal never broke out like I thought he was going to, but he later posted seasons of 631-8 and 778-7.

Kyle Orton, as I expected, cratered immediately after the trade.

I might look back at my first rounders now. Thanks for putting the links together!

Huh. I’ve only traded out of the first round four times. I thought it was more than that.

Still, who are some of these guys?

2009 1.11 Brandon Jacobs (RB - NYG)
2010 1.9 Golden Tate (WR - DET)
2011 1.8 Jared Cook (TE - TEN)
2012 1.10 Alshon Jeffery (WR - CHI)
2013 1.6 Joseph Randle (RB - DAL)
2014 TRADED OUT OF FIRST ROUND [3.9 KaDeem Carey (RB - CHI)]
2015 1.5 Ameer Abdullah (RB - DET)
2016 TRADED OUT OF FIRST ROUND [2.4 Paul Perkins (RB - NYG)]
2017 1.12 Zay Jones (WR - BUF)
2018 1.2 Royce Freeman (RB - DEN)
2019 1.3 Miles Sanders (RB - PHI)