The truly great threads in SDMB history

I sorta figured that was the problem, but didn’t want to say so. It was a real hoot – on this end.

It might be worth a new thread to highlight such slips of the mouse, especially the ones that revealed something too personal or too private or too incriminating. Not necessarily of yourself, of course, but boo-boos all the same.

That would be interesting - that’s the first time I’ve done something like that on the boards (for those wondering, I accidentally pasted a link to a friend’s facebook page when I meant to copy a thread’s URL - thanks Rico for removing it). I was mortified, to say the least - but I’m sure I’m not the first to have done something like that.

You’ve just named my biggest online dread. I like to think I double-check stuff before posting, but I have this nagging feeling that I might have just given away something I really ought not give away.

Glad you got that fixed, Wilson.

This thread has resulted in enough responses for me to suggest an approach to include threads you have started that may cross the threshold into the “greatness” the others already posted may have.

Here are some I started that have these features:

1. at least 100 Replies
  2. not out-and-out games or post-padding exercises
  3. not overly personal in nature
  4. emphasis on fun

Favorite “Far Side” Memories (MAD, too)

Put a face on a Doper you’ve never seen

Put a face on a Doper you’ve never seen – Round 2

What movie(s) do you wish you had your time back for having seen?

Quaint expressions you heard once or twice but use yourself regularly

Using your own criteria for which threads you started that have moved into the Great Threads ranks, why not use this thread as a repository for them?

Although the Truly Great Threads may not necessarily be the BIG threads, a reasonable-sized collection of The BIG Threads at SDMB may have some worth reviewing.

This.

The taking a 15 minute crap.

The standard by which zit stories are measured. It starts with this post, and continues on.

Since the zombie rule has been relaxed a bit in recent times, I’m hoping this can be one of the exceptions.

I referred to this thread earlier today as a source for an old goodie that someone located using Google. As I was reading over this thread I spotted this query from Annie-Xmas and wanted other readers of the thread to be aware that we recently located it.

In Nostalgia for old threads? started 08-26-2010, 06:58 AM, Posts 3-4-5-7-8-9-22 have the story of the renewed search and locating (in this post) of the lost thread To Kill A Mockingbird. Dill.

Just for the wee bit of closure this may bring, and for possible updates to this very thread itself.

Another exploration into “the great (epic) threads” is now underway at Send me your favorite “epic thread” links- I’m bored! and I’m posting a link back to this thread there.

Take your pick.

I’m gonna have to go with “I pit crying babies in public places,” that was a big ole 'effin trainwreck:

Link: I pit crying babies in public places - The BBQ Pit - Straight Dope Message Board

With over six months going by since the latest update to this “directory” there must be some “truly great threads” that can be added to this list.

It struck me enough to comment about it in the thread itself that…

==========================
ËÈÊÂÈÄÀÖÈß ÞÂÅËÈÐÍÎÃÎ ÌÀÃÀÇÈÍÀ - Miscellaneous and Personal Stuff I Must Share - Straight Dope Message Board
ËÈÊÂÈÄÀÖÈß ÞÂÅËÈÐÍÎÃÎ ÌÀÃÀÇÈÍÀ
06-09-2011, 10:13 PM
SergGoreliys
BANNED

…is on its way to glory and may develop into an epic thread on par with others mentioned upthread.

Here’s an opportunity to look back over the threads you may have enjoyed much more than your basic laugh-along and to post some links where you feel they’re warranted.

As mentioned above (03-09-2009) some potential guidelines for inclusions may include:

These are just suggested criteria and your own tastes and preferences should override them if the thread(s) in question is/are just too good to be missed.

And if this is your first exposure to this collection, I can assure you there are some marvelous bits of humor and craziness in the ones already mentioned. Enjoy!

Some others:

++ FORMAT ++
URL
Title
Start Date/Time
OP
Latest Date/Time
Latest Poster
Replies Views
Forum
+++++++++++++++

Not Coming To A Theater Near You
11-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Malleus, Incus, Stapes!
08-20-2010 01:25 PM
by furryman
895 230,325
Cafe Society

Single line from a movie or TV show you still giggle over
02-19-2009, 03:36 PM
Knowed Out
04-05-2009 12:52 AM
by outlierrn
366 21,488
Cafe Society

Request to all international soccer fans: STOP THAT FUCKING BUZZING!
06-12-2010, 01:49 PM
Diogenes the Cynic
07-08-2010 10:34 AM
by Steve MB
341 11,290
The BBQ Pit

This thread consists solely of punch lines to jokes.
09-01-2003, 07:42 AM
Laughing Lagomorph
09-06-2003 04:31 PM
by Heller Highwater
174 1,929
Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Dopers on Jeopardy! THE List
11-18-2004, 02:39 PM
commasense
07-29-2010 07:49 AM
by Ms Boods
166 23,169
Cafe Society

Punchlines Only, Please
05-26-2011, 07:46 AM
Eutychus
06-03-2011 01:18 PM
by Hypno-Toad
164 2,560
The Game Room

I’m surprised no one has mentioned I stuck my wedding ring up my nose.

One I failed to get on that list of recent things:

Write your own Onion headline
01-29-2010, 11:50 AM
Malleus, Incus, Stapes!
08-09-2010 04:21 PM
by elfkin477
157 26,359
Cafe Society

Do you believe Homer’s account? I don’t. Going to sleep less than four hours after dosing? Not being able to distinguish or recall the difference between visions of He-Man and Strawberry Shortcake?

The claim that he was posting to a message board while shrooming is incredibly pathetic in itself, if true, but I don’t think it is.

Hombre banning question. Everything you always wanted to know about Sock Puppets, but were afraid to ask. The last post is the kicker. :smiley:

This one still makes my jaw drop: Suck it down you drunken bitch!

I think the thread where Scylla allegedly waterboarded himself was pretty fucking outstanding. It was the thread that caused me to join. Sorry, no link. I like Scylla’s posts. He seems to have evaporated.

Oh my - I remember that from the first time around.

Still, one of the most masterful pittings ever. Though I do have this urge to somehow go in and correct the misspellings…

It’s been two years, but we have had another puzzle that has driven some of us mad.

Please help me solve this Rebus.

Here is the Rebus if you’d like to give it a shot.

Now you will never sleep again.